Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freel ready to give up starting position in the OF for Hamilton!!!!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Freel ready to give up starting position in the OF for Hamilton!!!!!

CINCINNATI -- You won't hear something like this every day from a ballplayer.

The ink had barely dried on Ryan Freel's new, two-year, $7 million contract extension on Monday, and he was already discussing his willingness to give up his everyday spot in center field to Josh Hamilton.
    "I think this kid is something special," Freel said. "With the addition of him on this team, I might be working a little more in the infield, which I don't have a problem with. I just know that kid helps us win. He's an unbelievable player."
    Hamilton, the former overall No. 1 draft pick in 1999 by Tampa Bay with a well-chronicled off-the-field past, has been a national sensation since making the Reds out of Spring Training as a Rule 5 Draft selection.
    With Hamilton as the fourth outfielder behind Freel, Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn, manager Jerry Narron has been challenged to find the rookie starts and at-bats. Narron has had Freel, a utility player that can play five positions, taking ground balls at second and third base the past few days.
    "I know you have to have a guy like that in the lineup," Freel said of Hamilton. "He's one of the better athletes I've seen. Sky's the limit for him. I will put myself aside any day, any time in order for us to win a championship. Regardless of where he's been and what's he done or only playing this much, he's the type of guy that can step in and play every day. And he's the type of guy that will put up good numbers if you stick with him. I don't have any problem with that ... especially now."
    Hamilton was not in Monday's lineup vs. the Brewers, but he started four of the previous five games. And as a pinch-hitter Monday, the 25-year-old Hamilton hit his third homer of the season, a two-run shot in the ninth inning in the 10-6 loss. He has plenty of respect for Freel and his selflessness.
    "That speaks for itself," Hamilton said. "Me and Ryan have a good relationship. We get along, not just in baseball but off-the-field things. We have a lot of stuff in common. I'm the same way he is. If he plays, I'm rooting for him. If I play, he's rooting for me."
    Reds manager Jerry Narron planned to start Hamilton somewhere in the lineup on Tuesday. "We have to find a way to get him out there as much as possible," Narron said.
    The Official Site of The Cincinnati Reds: News: Cincinnati Reds News

To me, this is huge and may have been something discussed during negotiations before his new contract was finalized. Freel shows class here and understands that Hamilton is a winner. Both deserve to play, but Hamilton may be a bit of a better difference maker.

Now if we could just get Narron to keep from screwing it up and having to start Freel at 3B over EdE.

Re: Freel ready to give up starting position in the OF for Hamilton!!!!!

Nooooooooo!!! Be greedy Freel!!! I need your SBs!!!!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

If Griffey were a man, he'd give up his spot in the OF.

MLB ERA

But he's not. He's a little girl and he has a little girl's body and he's got the bones of a 10 month old wet corpse and they would snap if you poked them.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Freel may be ready to give it up...but is Narron?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

And you guys want to trade a guy like Freel?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I dont. 3.5 mil per year might be a lot for a bench player, but Freel can play 2b, 3b, all 3 of, and isnt he the "emergency catcher"? Plus a team player saying we need to get Hamilton into the lineup. Ill take it. Plus look at the contracts guys are getting, 3.5 for a guy like Freel is a good deal. I wish Griffey would take the same steps and give him some more options.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AAA ERA

like i said, I really think that there is room for both, Hamilton can come in on days that Dunn, Jr, Freel, Phillips, and now EdE get days off.

but there is no doubt in my mind that he needs to be in the lineup everyday.. but then again so does freel

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Not I. I just think some look at the situation like this:

Griffey - The sleaziest car dealer couldn't ship him.
    Dunn - Bye bye offense.
    Ed E - Young, talented and only to get better... not even worth addressing.

That leaves centerfield and two players: Hamilton and Freel. With crowded positions and many rumors over the year, Reds fans feel the need to assume someone always has to leave, but that isn't the case. Freel with his versatility makes that option even more plausible.

Freel is viewed as the current Reds Pete Rose. Gritty, gets his uni dirty and plays with all out effort. Had other players on the team gotten into the DUI trouble Freel did, the reaction would of been much higher because Cincy people want to relate to a guy like Freel.

MLB ERA

Please, mission. I could deal Griffey.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    Please, mission. I could deal Griffey.
    Remember the Jason Kendall trade thread in my league way back when at the start? It takes a sober and competent mission to reach that far back in the memory banks.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Griffey can be dealt IMO. The Angels would love to have a Griffey in that lineup and have the pieces and resources to get him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Any Griffey deal though would require the Reds paying significant cash on those deferred payments, which they have seemed unwilling to do in some supposed rumored deals. Either way, I kind of selfishly want Griffey to stay personally but I would have no qualms with him facing righties and Freel facing lefties (for the most part) and taking on the super utility role.

MLB ERA

If you want a sleazy car dealer to deal Griffey, just talk to the GM that helped his trade to the Reds happen.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well if you want the prospects, you have to take on the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast