Thread: Kyle Lohse

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Kyle Lohse

Being a Twins fan and seeing what Kyle did against the Cubs supprised me. How can a guy of Kyle's makeup strike out 12 batters!??? HE did nothing in Minnesota, why the change? Maybe it was Rick Anderson's mistake of not working with Kyle more. Kyle was a hot and ice cold pitcher here in Minnesota. Seems like he was good for about 3 innings and then got crushed. What has your pitching coach done to make Kyle this good? At one point we could have recieved a 2nd round pick and we did not take it. Make's we wonder what the Twins were thinking.

Seems like we make several deals between our teams and once again the Twins recieved the lower end of the deal. What do you Red's fans expect of Kyle this season?

Jason
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AAA ERA

Re: Kyle Lohse

Hes very talented and showed yet another flash of what he can do. I loved the pickup based on potential and if he's going to finally come into his own, it's an exciting time for the Reds and their fans.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

There was always potential there but why could he not show it in Minnesota?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds pitching coach Dick Pole said something to the effect that he thought Kyle Lohse had the best stuff on the staff (which is a pretty nice compliment since Harang and Arroyo's stuff is nothing to sneeze at.) He believed that if he could work with him, he could surprise a lot of people this season. Lohse seems to be a kid that has been his own worst enemy in the past, and if Pole has been able to get him past those issues and harness his stuff, maybe he will once again have a good season similar to what he did with the Twins early in his career.

It's early, so its too soon to tell, but sometimes a new start is all a player needs and this could be a case of that.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    There was always potential there but why could he not show it in Minnesota?
    The big difference this year is Dick Pole has been stressing throwing strikes, especially on the first pitch. If you watch Kyle in Minnesota, he often got behind on guys and had to throw pitches moreso over the plate to avoid walking guys.

Yesterday, he controlled the count on the majority of hitters while throwing strikes and making good pitches with his confidence up because of that. I think this leads to a lot of his success.

Also, I think its a comfort factor as well. He never got along with Gardenhire and really wasn't happy there.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

AAA ERA

luck, pure luck, i will kiss everyone on this boards ass if he ever has another 8IP 0ER with 10+K game ever again let alone again this year

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am pretty excited about this guy and I think he is simply coming into his own. It is a fresh start and with Dick Pole holding the reigns, he is making things happen. Ever since I can remember, Lohse has been known as a guy with stuff, but just hadn't taken control of it. He reminds me a lot of how we fealt about Luke Hudson a few years ago. Luke went one way and Kyle is taken the opposite route. Which bodes well for us.

I wouldn't call it a mistake by Terry Ryan to have dealt Lohse, but just luck on our part. You never know what you are going to get out of a guy that has potential but has not met it yet. Will he ever reach his ceiling, or will he fade out? Hopefully in our case, Lohse has reached his potential and is showing it off now.

He has an insane 2 seamer that starts off the plate to right handers and at the last second breaks back over the plate for a strike. Then his slider gets them for the out pitch. The guy has definitely taken control of his stuff and is using it correctly. I loved seeing that game and hope to see it more often from him.