Thread: what happened to closer by committee?

MLB ERA

what happened to closer by committee?

i'm starting to get tired of seeing stormy out there. he isn't a very good closer. perhaps a setup man but not a closer. just because he has that "veteran presence" in the closer spot doesn't mean he's a lock and key closer canidate.

perhaps narron is waiting for bray to get off the dl?

i don't know anymore. i'm getting tired of shitty lineups day after day, pitchers being left in past their due date, wrong matchups, etc.

keeping narron around just because he has a +.500 record isn't a good reason. he's not a very good manager.

/rant.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: what happened to closer by committee?

I can't say there is a need to despise Narron right now. I am not rooting for him because we have been winning a little this year. But I do not see as many mistakes as I did in the past. The EdE fiasco could be looked at from a few angles. I see them both clearly. If he is going to bench EdE for lack of hustle, then it needs to be the same across the board. Yet benching him could show the team that he means business. Being strict and still one they can confide in makes him a good leader.

The lineups have been good at times and not so good others. But I haven't seen anything horrible yet. It looks bad with Ross and Castro at the end of it, but we cannot blame Narron for that. We all know that Phillips will not be playing SS while Gonzo is away. So Castro is the only other option. Sooner or later, Ross is going to have to take a seat for a decent period of time.

As far as closer by commitee goes; I couldn't agree more. Weathers has got the job done and is holding a 1.09 WHIP. But he has still given up a hit in almost every outing. Thankfully his control is there and he has only walked one batter. I just do not trust him to do it for the long haul. But who is a better option right now?

AA ERA

i would say that Weathers is doing a good job right now but if he continues to be a closer than the Reds might have some problems. I hope that Narron is waiting for Bill Bray to get off the DL to test him out as closer, that would be my pick. I really would like to see Coffey pick up his game because he would be my choice for a 8th inning set up guy for who ever the closer is.

AAA ERA

yeah its not a closer by comittee.. Narron said that if the situation calls for a reliever to come in and its a closer situation it will be Weathers unless he is unavailable.. which means he is not afraid to go to Weathers in non closing situations so he isn't naming him a closer, but for all intents and purposes he is our closer.. so no comittee

AAA ERA

If Weathers is successful, he should be the closer until he starts failing, which we all know will inevitably happen.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HafDawg2003 View Post
    If Weathers is successful, he should be the closer until he starts failing, which we all know will inevitably happen.
    sad to say, but i agree with you

MLB ERA

conine hitting fourth? come on narron, he is not a cleanup hitter. he is a 6-7 hitter AT BEST because of how our lower lineup is.

i mean FFS Griffey is hitting behind conine. thats ****ing unheard of!

i'm done with narron and almost this team. the ownership hasn't put forth the effort to get rid of undesierables (all they've done is get undesierables), and narron doesn't know what to do with them.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Conine pretty much owned Capuano in his career before yesterday. That is why he was batting cleanup again. I can tell that Narron has been looking at matchups a little better this year. As long as it doesn't become a trend, I would say it was a smart move for the last two games.

Also, between Hatteberg and Conine, 1B has knocked in more runs than any other position this year.

MLB ERA

Of course Narron now sits Edwin tonight after finally getting a big hit last night.

I don't really mind Conine hitting 4th though; at least not right now. He's hitting a lot better than anyone not named Dunn or Hamilton.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

EdE sitting! Are you kidding me! That concerns me greatly. EdE may have just gotten over his slump, now we go right back into it. This is where I get aggravated.

I look for Hatteberg to have abig game though. He has only struck out once against Bush and is 7 for 18 with a HR. Castro would be a huge PH in this one if Bush were still pitching as well. He is 6 for 10 with 2 HRs.