Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freel gets extension

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Freel gets extension

Per Trent's Blog:

Reds announced the signed ryan freel to a 2-year extension through 2009. Will have more later
    I am thinking that Krivsky may be setting something up for a trade. This is odd for sure, but all of WK signings have come at a shock without warning. Its in the beginning of the season and he is already spending time making extensions. I like the work ethic for sure.

But what do you guys think? Are they planning on keeping Freel around and trading Dunn by the deadline? Or are they planning on trading Freel? Or perhaps buying opportunities then waiting to se if Hamilton pans out before making a move.

Weird stuff.

AA ERA

Re: Freel gets extension

i think its time that the Reds look around to see what they can get for Freel. Im interested to see what teams would be interested in Freel and what we could get for him. I would be really upset if we get a PTBNL or a low prospects. Our organization has been known to do trades like that I'm sure Hamilton will only get better but he needs to play more.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I agree, I love Hamilton and he is steadily becoming a crowd favorite. But you cannot deal an outfielder until you have seen him make strides for the best on a consistant basis. That will take a while, so trading Freel on account of Hamilton right now would be a mistake. I hope Krivsky is patient if this is the plan and that he is just opening up options for possible deals down the road.

MLB ERA

Hamilton is an OF? Because I thought he was a middle IF, SS especially.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Freel is a keeper and should stay. You can get a lot more for Dunn than you can Freel.

AAA ERA

I don't see how theres anything weird about this at all...
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

AAA ERA

well it is interesting because I knew that with his contract up this year it was a spot for Hamilton to step in.. but now with Dunn, Jr, and Freel locked up for 2008 what are we going to do about Hamilton.. we pretty much have to make a move.. I still want to see Phillips move to SS and Freel to 2B, but with Gonzo getting a nice 2 year deal I don't see that happening.

So honestly I think we are in a situation where we either move Hamilton or keep Hamilton and move someone else.. with our luck the decision we make will end up being the wrong one, we either keep him and he falls back into his drug problem(I really worry about that since I heard he doesn't keep his own money while on the road, that tells me he is worried about backsliding and going back to drugs so you really don't know) or we trade him and he becomes a Hall of Famer.. I just hope whatever we do its the right thing.. but you know its that whole Frank Robinson curse to me..

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Freel is a keeper and should stay. You can get a lot more for Dunn than you can Freel.
    Believe me when I say this, the current offense would have the chance of being one of the worst in recent memory if Dunn was traded if Griffey continues to not hit for power as his wrist seems to be really effecting his ability to drive a ball deep. Even if Griffey regains his power swing since it is still early and he should heal, an on-base power machine like Dunn is not a commodity we could afford to lose usually, let alone when he seems to be getting on track like he has this season.

If anything we need more bats, especially for bench depth.

AAA ERA

I wish we'd stop crowning Josh Hamilton as the man. Hes got to prove it over a season or so before I'll pull out the anointing oil. I have faith in him, and I like him a lot, but come on guys... this is a guy who hadn't seen, if I remember, even over single A ball and is making the jump to the majors. Hes a stud and an amazing pickup, but lets hold off on making future plans just yet.

Gonzalez has the SS position this year and next, so no Phillips to SS. Freel was re-signed to do what he does best, which is super sub. He'll play some in the OF mixing time with Hamilton and giving Griffey days off, he'll give Phillips and Edwin days off... thats what hes best at. This is just a simple re-signing.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    But what do you guys think? Are they planning on keeping Freel around and trading Dunn by the deadline? Or are they planning on trading Freel? Or perhaps buying opportunities then waiting to se if Hamilton pans out before making a move.

Weird stuff.
    Don't forget, Freel is a super utility. He might deserve a starting role, but this is a guy who can still have a lot of value being used in all different ways. If we're competing at the deadline, why trade Dunn in any circumstance? I think most would agree that Harang and Arroyo are fine and dandy up top at the rotation. Lohse and Belisle have looked damn impressive. Uncle Milty is keeping #5 warm for Homer Bailey. 1B is a stopgap position with Joey Votto being the future. 2B is Phillips, locked up. SS is locked up with Gonzo. 3B is Edwin, 'nuff said. The outfield is where Dunn plays, not an issue. So that leaves trading for a 5th in the rotation or bullpen help... and let's not go there again.

Fun fact of the night, the Reds offense ranks 11th in the National League, 5 runs from 13th, and Dunn has accounted for 21.5% of the Reds offense to this point. The offense should pick up, but we no longer have that crucial need to find an ace pitcher and thus we shouldn't be sacrificing our one player that can be a difference maker in a big way. Freel can be used as a super utility if Hamilton earns a spot. Griffey or Dunn could be moved to 1st despite both not liking that idea. Freel could be traded. Griffey probably can't be traded, but they sure could try. The bottom line is that Krivsky will take major steps backward by losing his game changing bat in Dunn, it's just not something we can afford if Dunn continues to hit like he has early on.

AAA ERA

The only moves that can be made are to acquire a 3B near the deadline if Edwin just isn't producing (not to say that they'd give up on him, but instead add a veteran Edwin can watch and learn from during the playoff race) and maybe a pitcher. The problem is... sure, we need to upgrade certain positions. We could use a better catcher. We could use a better SS (or 2B if Phillips played there). We could use a better 1B. Maybe a better outfield option.

But heres the thing. At each position, our hands are tied. We've signed Ross to a "big" contract, 2 years and what, 2.5 or so odd million. We've got Gonzalez and his big bucks at Short. Conine/Hatteberg are both under contract past this season, I believe. Griffey is eating all that cash. Dunn as well, even though it may be a lot easier to justify having him.

My point is, unless we can unload some of these poor contracts, we aren't going to make any moves of consequence.

If you're gonna see a deal, you're gonna see a right handed bat coming off the bench being acquired for some of our bench pieces/bad minor leaguers or you're gonna see some bullpen arms traded (NOT MILTON) to make room for Majewski and Bray.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HafDawg2003 View Post
    The only moves that can be made are to acquire a 3B near the deadline if Edwin just isn't producing (not to say that they'd give up on him, but instead add a veteran Edwin can watch and learn from during the playoff race) and maybe a pitcher. The problem is... sure, we need to upgrade certain positions. We could use a better catcher. We could use a better SS (or 2B if Phillips played there). We could use a better 1B. Maybe a better outfield option.

But heres the thing. At each position, our hands are tied. We've signed Ross to a "big" contract, 2 years and what, 2.5 or so odd million. We've got Gonzalez and his big bucks at Short. Conine/Hatteberg are both under contract past this season, I believe. Griffey is eating all that cash. Dunn as well, even though it may be a lot easier to justify having him.

My point is, unless we can unload some of these poor contracts, we aren't going to make any moves of consequence.

If you're gonna see a deal, you're gonna see a right handed bat coming off the bench being acquired for some of our bench pieces/bad minor leaguers or you're gonna see some bullpen arms traded (NOT MILTON) to make room for Majewski and Bray.
    Have you seen Ed E's defense this year? The guy is flat out picking it out there with dives each and everyway. With his bat, there is no reason at this point to let him learn from a vet, he is an everyday player that deserves it. But I agree with you on some of your points, such as having our hands tied by contracts. If Hamilton does continue to flourish, Freel going to the bench is actually a pretty good move and one that doesn't need another move outside of sending trash to the minors. Our bench is obviously not a strong suit and moving Freel to it makes it look a whole lot better when we have options to look at come late in the game. Not to mention that Freel has had some pretty solid campaigns against lefties where as Junior hasn't, so to give Griffey some rest and keep him fresh versus righties, there is where you give Freel his AB's.

Everyone should just be glad Deno isn't an option right now, or this would be up to even more debate. Actually, the Reds could consider dealing Freel if Hamilton is the real deal closer to when Deno is healthy as he is younger and cheaper (but lacking the versatility and steal potential.)

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Have you seen Ed E's defense this year? The guy is flat out picking it out there with dives each and everyway. With his bat, there is no reason at this point to let him learn from a vet, he is an everyday player that deserves it. But I agree with you on some of your points, such as having our hands tied by contracts. If Hamilton does continue to flourish, Freel going to the bench is actually a pretty good move and one that doesn't need another move outside of sending trash to the minors. Our bench is obviously not a strong suit and moving Freel to it makes it look a whole lot better when we have options to look at come late in the game. Not to mention that Freel has had some pretty solid campaigns against lefties where as Junior hasn't, so to give Griffey some rest and keep him fresh versus righties, there is where you give Freel his AB's.

Everyone should just be glad Deno isn't an option right now, or this would be up to even more debate. Actually, the Reds could consider dealing Freel if Hamilton is the real deal closer to when Deno is healthy as he is younger and cheaper (but lacking the versatility and steal potential.)
    I was referring to his bat and maybe more of how to handle himself at the position overall. I also said that that would be a deadline move. If this team is in the playoff chase and Edwin is not hitting, you can't afford to just let him sit in the lineup and flail at balls with his flawed swing that he's currently exuding. I, personally, think he'll turn it around and there will be no problem, along with no need for a veteran. I'm a big Edwin fan, and I like his potential for sure.

And you're right. Freel off the bench is where he's most valuable. I enjoy him even in the middle of games as a change of pace or pinch runner. We don't really have many speedy options with Hopper on rehab to pinch run at this point.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Believe me when I say this, the current offense would have the chance of being one of the worst in recent memory if Dunn was traded if Griffey continues to not hit for power as his wrist seems to be really effecting his ability to drive a ball deep. Even if Griffey regains his power swing since it is still early and he should heal, an on-base power machine like Dunn is not a commodity we could afford to lose usually, let alone when he seems to be getting on track like he has this season.

If anything we need more bats, especially for bench depth.
    That's all fine and dandy right now but I thought we were talking about trading someone close to the deadline if the Reds were out of it. You can get a whole helluva lot better players for Dunn than you can Freel. Dunn will give more pieces to fill holes.

AAA ERA

Yeah, thats true, reefer, but I still don't think we trade Dunn even if out of it.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast