Thread: Your thoughts on future talent

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Your thoughts on future talent

Krivsky has his hands full with choices on how to handle some really nice prospects. With Bailey, Votto, and possibly Bruce being ready to come up to the big club next season, do you think their rookie seasons will bring impact and have a part in winning ball games?

We all know that when a player is new to the big leagues, they are prone to struggle out of the gate and a lot of the times throughout the season. Which carries a two-part question for this discussion. Isn't it wise for Krivsky to allow these players to hone their talents at the minor league level and be more then ready to contribute when the call arises? Also, if they do get called up sooner then later, do you see them struggling a bit and not having enough impact as they are still learning at the big league level?

What I am getting at is this; I am very excited about these young studs. They all have star potential. But is it too early to say that the '08 team is going to be better than this year's team because of the upcoming talent? Do you guys think they are going to struggle as most rookies do?

MLB ERA

Re: Your thoughts on future talent

I think they will be better next year than this year.

Yeah, I think it's wise for Krivsky to let them hone their talent. I'm sure they will have their struggles at times just as many young players do, but I think they will be pretty good immediately, because all those guys have great talent and I think Krivsky has given them the time they need.

Some of the players currently on the team are somewhat "stopgaps" until we can get some of those players up here (such as Hatteberg and Conine).

I think next year will be better if they are up, because I don't think Krivsky will let them come up until they appear ready. And if they're not ready, we will probably just hang on to the stopgaps until they are ready.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I fully expect Votto to be up in Hatte/Conine's spot. He can hit, he has shown that. But look at the Brewers last year. We all expected them to have a huge season with all their young talent coming in. But they were a little raw with the young talent they had who were in key positions to help them contend. Now, one year later, they have a better chance at it.

Do you guys feel the '08 Reds will be in the same boat as the Brewers were in last year?

MLB ERA

I think they will be in better shape because I think they will have more of a mix of quality, established players and younger talent than the Brewers.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA

i think you don't want to rush them because then you get the Ryan Wagner thing where their confidence may never recover.. but then again at the same time you just never know about a player.. remember Brandon Larson, fantastic Minor League player, couldn't hit .200 for us.

I really hope Bailey can make it up this year.. at least to get a look at him, if he can't hack it we send him back down. but there is no need to rush Votto since the Conine/Hatteberg situation is fine for this year.. and we really don't have any room for Bruce right now with Dunn, Freel, Jr, and Hamilton.. so he will definately have to be down in the minors for at least another 2 seasons