Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Opening Day 2007: Cubs at Reds 4/2/2007

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Tremendous pitching performance by Harang there...7 IP, 6 H, 1 unearned run. Nice way to start off the season, an ace performance and beating up on Zambrano.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

NICE START TO THE SEASON REDS FANS!!! CONGRATS ON BEING UNDEFEATED WITH THE BREWERS!! HAHAHA..

ANY TEAM THAT BEATS THE CUBS IS O.K. WITH ME!!!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic, fantastic game. I was fearing after the Mayor's pitch that it was all downhill after that (yeesh), but wow. Harang was solid as ever, getting into a few of his typical tough situations that he worked out of. I thought Dunn was going to have a huge year this season, much inline with his generous PECOTA predictions, and his performance today made me feel more confident in that. Both he and Harang look to be in better shape this year. Gonzales showed big time range in that one play I think with Derosa heading to 2nd. And it was great to see Griffey with a nice all around game.

Perfect weather, awesome pitching, some big time blasts from Dunn, the new uni's and stadium additions look sharp, Zambrano gets blasted and I am just pumped right now. Which is the first time I can say that honestly for awhile, this is what Opening Day is all about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Freel redeems himself although it wasn't a scoring threat. What a diving stab there showing off tremendous range!
    You mean Freel might have good range in CF? No way.

Co-MVP: Harang and Dunn
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Nice report, mission.

Although it may be a bit early, I get a different feeling about this team already.

The way they seem to approach situations and innings. Everything seems to have a different "feel" for some reason.

They almost seem like more of a "professional" team (not trying to sound too much like Narron here!). They seem to have a different attitude and the players appear to approach everything differently from what I can tell.

Having players like Gonzalez on the roster just gives it a different feel.

I can't put my finger on what it is about them, but the team has more of the "feel" you get when watching a typical Yankees or Red Sox team. I'm not saying they're that good yet, but something seems different to me.

Just sayin'.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I might be writing an article soon, but I am going through this weird period of optimism that isn't a forced type of feeling to try to make things better for awhile. I am even liking Narron a lot more since I think this team could have some pretty good chemistry and Narron is a guy who's hard to dislike personally and all the players seem to really respect him (and him batting Dunn 2nd has really softened me up as most of you know how much I like the prospect of Dunn hitting 2nd). I am not claiming a World Series like Mr. Zambrano, but I truly believe this is a competitive team this year if they are healthy. It just seems like a lot is aligning for us, from having two top notch pitchers up top (with another one in AAA), actual pitching depth, a bullpen that could surprise for one without a true closer (I love the influx of the new young arms), much improved defense up the middle, among other factors.

Gonzalez and Phillips are going to make some flatout DP turns this year.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Speaking of Gonzalez, I am getting one of those "feelings" about him. He has shown some pop in the past and I not only see that continuing, but I also see him getting some big Runs across the plate for us.

He reminds me of a "Jocketty type player" of the mold of a Spiezio or someone like that, who seems to be able to turn his game on for a team that needs some quality hitting, particularly in key situations.

The bullpen depth might make us not despire Narron as much too, as long as he doesn't use Cormier too often. He is clearly the weak link in the bullpen IMO.

Then of course there is the issue of Milton (and to a certain extent, Lohse), but I'm hoping we don't have to endure much of Milton and Lohse can at least be average this year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am even kind of psyched about Lohse to an extent. Dick Pole thinks he might have the best (or among the best) stuff of the pitching staff and thinks he has something to work with in terms of making a breakout player. We saw last year that Lohse can look flatout nasty in the best way you can mean it, and the worst. I think Pole is exaggerating his stuff a bit, but there is no question he has talent, it's just a matter of whether or not he can control his emotions to stay stable on the mound. I am thinking average is a better prediction for him, but he could be the guy to surprise.

As for Gonzalez, I agree. I think he could have a 15-20 homerun season in GABP and even with a somewhat lower batting average, that kind of production with his defense would be very acceptable.

Today was pictureesque. I am not trying to make too much of one game in it's impact on the season, but who could blame me if I was given our recent Opening Days? From the terrible weather to the humiliating performances, this was opposite to it all.

MLB ERA
    Mission, what did you think of Griffey in RF?

It's not as easy to tell on TV, but not having to cover so much ground seemed to make his outfield play much better, at least today. He still seemed a little slow (getting to one or two balls with not much time to spare) but he looked better than he has in CF recently. He seemed able to close better.

That could be a big story if he's good out there and hits better than he did last year. He showed a good ability to adjust his batting today and spray balls around. At least today he didn't show the ridiculous impatience he did last year either.

He and Dunn could be massively important (more than usual) to the team.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, much like Dunn/Griffey to the offense, Lohse can be (to a smaller extent) to the starting staff. After the top two guys and someone like Belisle who can hopefully be at least pretty good toward the back, having someone in the middle of the rotation that is not so bad would be big.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    Mission, what did you think of Griffey in RF?

It's not as easy to tell on TV, but not having to cover so much ground seemed to make his outfield play much better, at least today. He still seemed a little slow (getting to one or two balls with not much time to spare) but he looked better than he has in CF recently. He seemed able to close better.

That could be a big story if he's good out there and hits better than he did last year. He showed a good ability to adjust his batting today and spray balls around. At least today he didn't show the ridiculous impatience he did last year either.

He and Dunn could be massively important (more than usual) to the team.
    Griffey was very adequate, and as he becomes comfortable, I could see him becoming above average. There really wasn't a ton of action for him, so it's a bit difficult to gauge him there, but this has to be like NASCAR driver driving a Honda Accord. Griffey has the great instincts and that will translate over to rightfield, but now his physical talent set will be more in line to the demand of the position. Having Freel in centerfield will make him seem much better. Since centerfield usually has authority in those "gray area" type of balls, Freel and his super range will get to those balls that Griffey might not have the speed to get to like a corner outfielder like Carl Crawford could get to.

Griffey and Dunn are so key. If Griffey comes back to closer to 2005 numbers and Dunn has a resurgence to the quality of play he should be at, I have no worries about the offense. Griffey definitely needs to regain his plate discipline for that to happen though, and his walk today brought a smile to my face I must say.

Finally, I am able to get some time to comment on here about the Reds game today, I had a busy day. Harang and Dunn looked great today. Harang was ahead of hitters all day, and looked much better than last years opener. Dunn was killing the ball, especially that second homer. Second time in three years the big fella has gotten a double dip on opening day. Of the starters only Hatteberg and Ross went hitless. Hamilton made his MLB debut to a standing O, that was quite the sight. I am ready for a good long season, hopefully Bronson can go out and have a great game Wednesday.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    My thoughts right now:

Would we be thinking differently about Freel right now if the game were a lot closer? He did cost the Reds their only run scored against. Yes, he made a great diving play and showed off tremendous range, but is his hustle a little uncontrolled right now? I mean, it was a lucky bounce for Derek Lee as Freel tried to make something happen. But was that something impossible? Or was it just a bounce that ended up making Freel look uncontrolled.

Don't get it twisted, I do appreciate Freel's abaility to make what seems impossible happen, but he did make a costly error today and that shouldn't go unnoticed. Do you guys see that he may need to control his hustle a bit? Or am I out on a limb?

Next thing, Ross had some decent ABs seeing plenty of pitches. But I did notice that the Cubs have scouted a disibility of his. The dude looks completely fooled on sliders. Look for Lilly to exploit this on Wednesday.

I don't mean to seem pessimistic with all the reasons to be positive, but there are always things to work on. It was an outstanding game and I am on a high today. Hopefully these two can figure out their shortcomings and turn them around pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    My thoughts right now:

Would we be thinking differently about Freel right now if the game were a lot closer? He did cost the Reds their only run scored against. Yes, he made a great diving play and showed off tremendous range, but is his hustle a little uncontrolled right now? I mean, it was a lucky bounce for Derek Lee as Freel tried to make something happen. But was that something impossible? Or was it just a bounce that ended up making Freel look uncontrolled.

Don't get it twisted, I do appreciate Freel's abaility to make what seems impossible happen, but he did make a costly error today and that shouldn't go unnoticed. Do you guys see that he may need to control his hustle a bit? Or am I out on a limb?

Next thing, Ross had some decent ABs seeing plenty of pitches. But I did notice that the Cubs have scouted a disibility of his. The dude looks completely fooled on sliders. Look for Lilly to exploit this on Wednesday.

I don't mean to seem pessimistic with all the reasons to be positive, but there are always things to work on. It was an outstanding game and I am on a high today. Hopefully these two can figure out their shortcomings and turn them around pretty quick.

The play you are talking about where the ball got past Lee at first, he would be safe 99.9% of the time not only did the ball bounce right off the wall and back to Lee, it bounced up chest high where all Lee had to do was are hand it, turn and fire. If he had to bend over and pick that ball up, or the ball bounces in another direction, no way he gets Freel at second.

AAA ERA
    What a great way to start the season for the Reds!! Let's hope they can keep this up all year!!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314