Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 W-L Predictions

MLB ERA

2007 W-L Predictions

Everyone give it a go.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    82-80 is my guess

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    73-89 is my guess. This team didn't get any better.

MLB ERA
    (84-78) is what I'm going with.

If the team would prevent Milton from making even one start, I might up the record a win or two.

I hope allowing him to start doesn't cost the team a chance at a playoff spot.

Although the team played over their Pyth. Record last year, I see an improvement in terms of overall depth. And although I don't think the rotation has been addressed enough, I do think Saarloos will improve it some. The bullpen appears to be a little better to me as well.

I think the defense will be better with Gonzalez up the middle, Edwin one year more experienced and Phillips getting better too. Griffey in RF and Freel/Hamilton (good defensively) should help with the outfield defense and I think Dunn will get a little better through hard offseason work.

Offensively, I expect Dunn to have a better season than last year and I think Hamilton could end up making a pretty decent impact. I expect another good year from Edwin and the usual from Freel. Hatteberg will probably post another good OBP and hopefully Phillips can build on last year. Griffey shouldn't be any worse (at least I hope he won't swing at as many first pitches this year!). Ross might regress some and Gonzalez probably won't be great, but I don't think they will hurt us too much offensively.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    72-90
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    a lot of people basing of the pecota?

i'm going with 81-81 in hopes for a .500 season.

its going to be a long season, time to break out the liqour before hand.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    83-79
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AAA ERA
    i will be uncharacteristically optomistic for this year team and say 80-82

likeliness

SP ...average (thanks to Harang/Arroyo...possibly Homer)
    MR ...below average
    CL ...below average/possibly horrible
    1B: Below average
    2b: Above average
    SS: below average
    3b: above average
    C: potentially above average
    LF: Good
    CF: average/below average
    RF: average/above average (depending how often griff plays)
    Bench: slightly above average

5 aboves...1 average...6 below average (in my opinion)

Division = Horrible
    Manager = below average
    Marty, Joe, Thom and Brantley (Outstanding...Thank God)

75 Wins
    87 Losses

MLB ERA
    Am I going to be the positive one this year?

Last year I thought many overrated the team's talent somewhat. I feel more comfortable with the depth this year and the talent should be better due to experience and other factors, IMO.

I'm just not feeling the idea of the team finishing into (and in the case of some predictions well into) double-digits below .500. I think they are better than that.

Albba, I see how you are measuring, but I'm not sure I agree. I don't consider an "average" rotation for example equal weight to ONE "below average" position player.

As for the comments themselves:

I have to agree on the rotation. It is average and definitely needs improvement. Biggest issue IMO.

I would call the MR average as opposed to below average. Depth + some young talent makes it average and not below average for me.

I find the Closer position a bit overrated, so I wouldn't say "horrible." It really depends who ends up there. If it is a Stanton/Weathers combo, I could see it being average if things go well and below average if things don't go well. The team really could use a power arm to insert in that position though.

I don't see 1B as below average, but possibly average. I think Hatteberg/Conine can put up numbers at least on the low end of average if nothing else.

I see SS as possibly below average, though I do think Gonzalez' defense will help. That was an area of weakness. I don't think his bat is as important.

I think CF will be on the higher end of average or above average overall with a combo of Freel/Hamilton. I think Freel brings a lot to the table (offensively and defensively) and I'm starting to feel a little better about Hamilton.

yeah, I consider the SP more important than one individual position player true. But...this team isnt a good hitting team. They arent even an average hittting team. I would take at LEAST 22-25 lineups before them. That spells trouble.

off the top my head...better offensive lineups would include...

Yanks
    Sox
    Jays
    maybe even the D-Rays
    Twins
    Indians
    Tigers
    White Sox
    Angels
    Cards
    Astros
    Brewers
    Braves
    Mets
    Phils
    Marlins
    Rockies
    Dodgers
    Rangers
    Cubs

....thats 20 teams, and a handful more could also be better than the Reds....and plus most of those have a better pitching staff to boot.

MLB ERA
    I guess I just don't agree about the offense.

Out of our typical starting eight, I think the following will be about average or better offensively:

Freel
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Hatteberg
    Ross

Gonzalez is the only one who probably won't be near average or better IMO.

I could see someone wondering about Phillips and Ross and Griffey's health (but that would mean Hamilton would probably get to start).

As for those teams, I don't agree the following are definitely better offenses:

D-Rays
    Astros
    Brewers
    Braves
    Marlins
    Rockies

I think you might be overrating the NL offenses overall when you have 1/2 of the 20 "better" offenses coming from that league.

I just don't see it.

At least 1/2 the lineup on each of those outplayed their Reds counterparts or played even with them last year....and look...Im reds fan, but....these guys DID or could outplay the guys at the same positions for the reds

D-Rays ---Crawford, Baldelli, D. Young, BJ Upton
    Astros ----Burke, Berkman, Lee, Ensberg
    Brewers ---Weeks, Hardy, Fielder, Hall, Estrada
    Braves ---Rentera, C.Jones, A. Jones, Mcann
    Marlins ---Ramirez, Uggla, Jacobs and Cabrera
    Rockies ---- Atkins, Helton, Holliday, Hawpe

and for an FYI...the reds ranked 22nd in the ML's last year in runs scored.....DESPITE THE FACT....they played in the most hitter friendly park in MLB last year.

...plus the fact the offense didnt get better over the offseason, if anything it will probably be worse.

...that being said, I hope I am wrong. And that Griffey doesn’t get hurt….Hamilton plays well, Edwin plays like an all-star I know he can, Brandon is as good for the whole year as he was for the 1st half of last season, Dunn learns to choke up with 2 strikes (as he claims he is trying to), Ross wasn’t a fluke, our SS manages to hit .235, Freel doesn’t get wore out like he always does and that Hatteburg plays like he did for the first 2 months of last season

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Forgot to mention Gomes for the D Rays. D Rays have a potent lineup but noooo pitching outside of Kazmir. Astros, Cubs, Brewers and Cards are better than the Cards which means I cannot think of them having a winning season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast