Thread: Griffey to right

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Griffey to right

Ken Griffey Jr. will play right field when he eventually makes his spring debut, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
    Ryan Freel should be a substantial upgrade over Griffey in center, and Josh Hamilton will also show more range than Griffey when he's asked to fill in. At this point, it's reasonable to wonder whether Griffey can even be a capable right fielder. With Adam Dunn over in left, the Reds still figure to have as weak of an outfield defense as there is in the game.
    It's going to be weird seeing Griffey playing some where else other than center but this is a good move. His arm isn't near what it used to be but Freel can cover more ground and should play center.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think the assessment of Griffey not even being able to handle being a capable (translation average) rightfielder is just wrong. I know his putrid defensive statistics last year, but centerfield is just a totally different animal and one that Griffey takes farther than the most. He tries to handle it like as if he was closer to 20 and not 40. Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep, simply put, Griffey has shown every indication that he wants to be the CF. And for that matter he likely will be the CF.

He is saying that he has to talk to his dad first, then he has to tell Narron and Krivsky what he is going to do. That is crap. The dudeshould have no say so, he should be told that he is in RF or not playing at all. I am sorry, I love Jr. but this is ridiculous.

Putting Griffey in RF for his spring debut means nothing. Will he even have a spring debut? I bet he is stalling becausehe wants to have the excuse that he hasn't had time to learn RF in spring. So he would naturally fit in at CF, his natural position.

Man, this bothers me something fierce.

AAA ERA
    um.. WTF.. some guy at Fox makes a statement.. I see no quote from Narron or Jr.. just basically some sports writer is just making a statement.. and not even backing it up with anything

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's the ever infamous "source" NFLman, the man (or woman for that matter) who stirs up a whole heap of attention and uproar without ever being seen as legend goes, they disappear into the night.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    It's the ever infamous "source" NFLman, the man (or woman for that matter) who stirs up a whole heap of attention and uproar without ever being seen as legend goes, they disappear into the night.
    well i didn't hear anything, all i know is that suposedly according to the radio, Narron hinted toward it.. still sounds to me like they are going to tap dance their way around it, Jr will say No.. and that will be the end of that

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Narron's confirmation?

per rotoworld:

Reds manager Jerry Narron confirmed Monday that he plans to start Ken Griffey Jr. in right field.

"Right now, that’s what our plan is," Natton said. "We would have loved for him to be available Opening Day to play center field, it just didn’t work out. We had to make a decision. This late in the spring we need to get our club out on the field. I’ve got to do everything I can do to put our best club out there. My feeling is that with Ryan Freel out there it gives us strong defense up the middle with (Alex) Gonzalez and (Brandon) Phillips and Freel." Griffey is questionable for Opening Day as he continues his recover from a broken hand.
    So Freel will be the starting CF come Opening Day? Does that leave Hamilton in RF or will Griffey be playing there? I doubt Griffey will be there because he hasn't had time to get used to it. This is going to be a wonder that will likely not be solved until something solid is confirmed. But I like the direction Narron is looking right now.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Narron's confirmation?

per rotoworld:

So Freel will be the starting CF come Opening Day? Does that leave Hamilton in RF or will Griffey be playing there? I doubt Griffey will be there because he hasn't had time to get used to it. This is going to be a wonder that will likely not be solved until something solid is confirmed. But I like the direction Narron is looking right now.
    yeah i would read that as Freel starting in CF.. with Hamilton in RF until Jr is ready.. then we will see Hamiltons time cut down.. i like this.. I think its good.. Freel will lead off and Hamilton will get some action in to see how he does when it is for real.. then when Jr comes back our Defense is a lot better with Freel in center.. and if Hamilton done well he will get his AB's as the #4 OF

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ken Rosenthal is no crackpot and is a very reliable journalist. Hamilton will help in both left and right. He will most likely come in late in the game to help the defense.

MLB ERA
    Props to rotoworld for discovering Narron's name change. Will he change his managerial style too?

And I am expecting Griffey in RF if he's ready to begin the season. No confirmation, but I think he'll be there.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Ken Rosenthal is no crackpot and is a very reliable journalist.
    Rosenthal typically is, my post was very much though facetious in nature. When it comes to crackpots on the internet, sources are their main backers. The big players (like Rosenthal) are legitimate in hearing from actual sources of course, even if what they speculate on does not come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    Props to rotoworld for discovering Narron's name change. Will he change his managerial style too?

And I am expecting Griffey in RF if he's ready to begin the season. No confirmation, but I think he'll be there.
    I know it seems likely, but I am a suspicious person and I think Griffey might be stalling in order to prevent the move. He could be placed there kicking and screaming though I suppose.

MLB ERA
    this has been going on just about as much as manny's trade talks in the spring.

i'll believe it when i see it.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Yeah, but if he starts kicking and screaming, the hammy could go again and we'd be back at square one.

Of course Hamilton and Freel would be starting then...
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    Yeah, but if he starts kicking and screaming, the hammy could go again and we'd be back at square one.

Of course Hamilton and Freel would be starting then...
    HaHa! Classic. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be too dissapointed if he is the one keeping this team from moving forward. Which I suspect to be so.

C you there
    MLB ERA
    Griffey is a great player, I'm sure he'll do well in right field if he has to play there

I just hope he plays