Thread: Things from spring so far

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Things from spring so far

Just a few minor notes that we can see from spring so far. For the questions that need to be answered over the course of this month, lets take a look at them individually and see where this team is at.

Homer Bailey, will he make the rotation on OD? With his first start, he gave up 3 earned runs in 2 innings. Narron has stated that he will not get another start. Chances of him playing for the big club are very minimal.

You guys cool with this?

Paul Wilson, will he make the roster? With his first start, he was beat down. I am not sure of the stats as I didn't catch the game, but I know it was ugly. I think he starts the season in AAA.

What do you guys think?

Dunn has talked a good game and has shown that he is at least ready to hit. We haven't heard anything about his defense yet, but he may be showing some maturity which could be really good for this team.

And finally, Brandon Phillips has been impressive to say the least. He fell off a bit at the end of the season last year, but I think he has shown some tremendous desire to be at the top of his game. And he has been raking. I look for him to have a nice season and have little doubt in his ability to build on last season.

If you guys have any thoughts over the course of the spring, please bring it in here.

MLB ERA
    I don't think Bailey will make the Opening Day rotation.

I do think he could be called up not too far into the season if Milton or Lohse struggles (quite possible).

I am definitely OK with that, because I want to be very careful with him.

I don't think Wilson has much chance of making the roster and could well retire at the end of Spring Training or not long into the season if he continues to struggle in Louisville.

I totally agree on both of your final points.

Other thoughts:

You have to get at least SLIGHTLY nervous when poor players perform well in ST because we know it might make Narron tell Krivsky to bring them back to Cincy, particularly if they are vets who play the game the right way and do the little things.

As I have said, I think the team's biggest issues are the No. 3 and No. 4 spots in the rotation, the lack of a power arm in the bullpen and perhaps one more bat. Although it's early in ST, my fears regarding the bat are dropping a bit. I also think we would benefit from a power bullpen arm, though our depth this year might be rather helpful. Our defense should be a good bit better, but it won't be as better to the degree it could if Griffey is not FORCED into playing RF.

Our biggest issue right now is still the starting rotation, IMO. The front end is very good, which shows we have come fairly far over a few years ago, but the middle part of the rotation still leaves me pretty nervous. I wish we could upgrade that part of the rotation, even if that means Castellini eating Milton's salary or something of that nature.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    well my opinion was he makes OD roster if he is completley dominate in ST.. well that didn't happen, so off to AAA he goes, I have no problems with that.. lets see how he does for at least a month down there.

Wilson is a hack, he should be in AAA with Bailey and when the bottom end of our Rotation looks awful as it will lets see how Wilson looks then, if he still looks bad he should hang it up.

I am the biggest Phillips doubter on the board that is for sure, he has done well, but lets see how things go when its for real.

I agree with CRF30, I think we really need to worry about our Rotation.. I am not worried about Harang at all, Arroyo i don't think will dominate like he did at the start of last year, I do think he can atleast be solid, a 4ERA guy.. Milton is terrible we all know what he can and can't do.. and from there I am even more scared.. I just want to see Bailey with an ERA below 2.00 come May 1st in AAA so we can get him up here and help the club(hopefully)