Thread: Dunn Ready and Willing To Work With Jacoby

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn Ready and Willing To Work With Jacoby

Dunn undergoes minor tweaking
    Reds notebook
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

SARASOTA, Fla. - It's fair to say that if Brook Jacoby didn't have a history of success with Adam Dunn, Jacoby might not be the Reds' new hitting coach.

But Jacoby was a roving instructor in the Reds' minor league system when Dunn was a phenom, bashing his way to the big leagues.

Dunn's average has slipped from .266 to .247 to .233 over the last three years - this from a guy who hit .304 in 1,208 minor-league at-bats.

The Reds are hoping Jacoby can reverse the downward trend. Jacoby got a head start on the Dunn project by going to Houston to work with Dunn in January.

"We're trying to have less movement," Jacoby said. "It allows him to better recognize the pitch."

Not exactly a swing makeover.

"It's a slight tweak," Jacoby said. "I told him that. It's not going to rock your world."

Dunn is receptive to the change.

"I'm all for it," he said.

Jacoby was pleased with the change when he saw Dunn hit after reporting to camp.

"I was surprised when he came in," Jacoby said. "He's working on it. He wants to get it right."
    Link

It'll be interesting to see if Jacoby can undo a lot of the damage that was done with the various hitting coaches (and non hitting coaches) have done to Dunn over the years. It was no question that he was a different hitter after guys like Knight and Boone messed with him versus when I saw him in Dayton. If Jacoby can hit upon that mix that we once we're expecting (a high OBP, high power and above average contact)... it could really help to make this lineup unlike any other player. The most important thing I gather is that Dunn is now focused being a new dad and husband, he seems to want to get his numbers back on the upswing (like PECOTA is predicting) and I think he really enjoys working with Jacoby. I don't think it's by chance that Dunn came to camp in better shape and earlier, it sounds like he really respects Jacoby and knows that he could be the answer to some of those downright awful slumps that he can work himself into (either due to mindset or mechanics.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    My question is whether this regained love for Jacoby is the same as Dunn had for Chambliss. Remember this time last year? Dunn was praising Chambliss as his savior after Boone and Knight screwed him up. He was very excited to get things underway. You guys remember this right?

I just hope this isn't that same kind of praise. Sounds like PR reasonings to me.

Well, there is a difference between Chambliss and Jacoby though. Jacoby has had past experience and mentored Dunn when he was at his best. Hopefully he can translate his past doings to benefit now.

Well the best thing about this is he has history of being successful with Dunn when he was in the minors. Just given that it lends hope that it will work in this situation also. If he can even get near .300 and still hit for power it will improve the lineup.