Thread: Majewski, ready or not?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Majewski, ready or not?

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Reliever Gary Majewski wanted to leave talk about his sore shoulder in the past.

The Reds hoped a new season and fresh start for Majewski would quell criticism that they acquired damaged goods last summer.
    Neither desire was feasible, at least not yet anyway.
    As Reds pitchers and catchers held their first workout on Sunday afternoon, Majewski was being held back. The 27-year-old right-hander's throwing shoulder became sore again in January while performing his offseason throwing program.
    "I was working out one day and it just popped up on me," said Majewski, who flew to Cincinnati last month to be seen by team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek. "It was the same spot. It was a matter of getting to the bottom of it. We found out what it was and we're good."
    Instead of Majewski participating fully in workouts with the rest of the pitchers, the medical staff limited him to a rehabilitation throwing program for the next week to build arm strength. That means no working off a mound.
    Under new baseball rules, the medical department is no longer allowed to provide injury updates about players to the media. "Everything I've heard is he should be ready to go pretty quick," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "But anytime someone can't start the first day with all the drills everybody else does, it'll always be a concern. We'll see where he is."
    I am not sure what to think of this. I know it would suck to have to wait even longer to see what this guy can do for us. I am one who is looking forward to seeing a stronger bullpen in place this season. I personally believe that it was a major handicap on the team last year and it will be far better this time around. But Majewski is a huge part of the turnaround, so hopefully he will be ready to go by OD.

You guys think he will be an asset to the team at all? Or will he be missed at all if not ready to go?

AAA ERA
    yeah i hate to read this, especially the price we paid to get him.. and we really have yet to see him.. we are really going to need the kind of output he is capable of to even have a chance.. our bullpen was horrible last year it was something we were trying to improve when we got him.. I think OD is the latest i want to see him, i would like him to be ready sometime during ST.. but that seem unlikely.. the worst case scenario is he may never recover and if that happens.. that deal really becomes a horrible trade..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep "the trade" a massacre on our end if he does not bode well for us this year. That is the climax of the whole situation. Most Reds fans want to see this guy do well on account it may make them feel a little more comfort from "the trade." If he remains injured, look out Krivsky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I hope the Reds don't rush him back in order to try and quickly salvage something from that deal. The best thing to do is let him fully recover until he is healthy and then see what you can get out of him. He's only 27, and you would hate to see his career get run off-course this early by injuries. There's still plenty of time for Majewski and the Reds to prove they got something out of this deal and it isn't as bad as it seemed at the time.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good point browntown. I completely agree. No point in screwing the whole thing up on a means to make things better from "the trade." Let him get completely healthy, then see what he can do.

I am glad that so far the Reds are doing the right thing.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    At first I thought he was in his 30s...the fact that he's 27 should help though, he should have a decent career and some improvement ahead of him if he stays healthy...which seems like a pretty big "if" at this part.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.