Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Lopez finally coming into own

Lopez finally coming into own
    Shortstop hitting .328 with four home runs, 16 RBI

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

PHILADELPHIA - Felipe Lopez turned 25 Thursday.

That's fitting because he's spent the last couple of weeks showing the Reds brain trust how much he's grown up as a ballplayer.

Lopez came into Thursday's game against the Philadelphia Phillies on a seven-game hitting streak. During the streak, he hit .387 with five doubles, two home runs and nine RBI.

Reds manager Dave Miley says he's seen a more confident Lopez this year.

Lopez agrees.

"Of course," he said. "That comes from maturity. I've learned from my mistakes. All the struggles I've had have helped me.

"The last three years have been a struggle. I've been at the bottom."

Lopez broke into the majors as a 21-year-old. He appeared to be on his way.

He hit .260 with five home runs and 23 RBI in 49 games for the Toronto Blue Jays that year.

He looked to be on his way.

But after struggling for the Jays in 2002, he was traded to the Reds in a four-way deal. He was considered Barry Larkin's heir apparent.

But he struggled, offensively and defensively, with the Reds. He hit .213 in 59 games in 2003 and .242 in 79 games last year.

He showed flashes of talent. But he also made mistakes and had trouble throwing consistently.

This year, there was less pressure on him. The Reds signed Rich Aurilia, who won the starting job at short, although Lopez had a solid spring.

Lopez was able to ease into the season. He played well when he played. So well that when the Reds wanted to jumpstart the offense, he was put in the lineup to play second base and hit in the No. 2 spot.

Aurilia's hamstring injury means that Lopez is back at shortstop.

"It feels good to be back at my natural position," Lopez said.

Lopez made his ninth start of the year at shortstop Thursday night, but he doesn't add a lot of significance to going back to short.

"I just want to keep getting hits," he said.
    Click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    Notice how relieved Lopez is to be at SS instead of 2B?

Dump Aurilia!
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30

Dump Aurilia!
    that was what i took from the article too, stop playing with the boys head, the guy is finally getting it, stick him at SS, and i don't want to see another guy in there for 19 years

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I wish that were going to be the case. But I honestly believe that if Lopez hit a HR every time he steeped to the plate until Aurilia was able to come back, he would still be moved to 2B or the bench to make room for the veteran. Guys, once Aurilia is better, he will start the majority of the time again. That means Freel or Lopez sits and likely both of them will with DJ getting the call at 2B again.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30

Dump Aurilia!
    It's one thing not to play Pena in CF, we got Jr, a sure fire Hall of Famer. But Aurilia? I really don't understand the respect they give to this slub. If he goes back into the lineup I hope Miley has a spine and makes him play 2B. Even if that wouldn't be wise in terms of strategy and whatnot (not to mention there are MUCH more deserving options) but a statement needs to be made. FeLo is young and talented, we need to show him that we believe in him and if he wants to play SS, then SS he'll play.