Thread: Reds Notes: Claussen expected to miss Sunday's start

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Claussen expected to miss Sunday's start

LaRue not fretting about slump

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

PHILADELPHIA | For Jason LaRue, home isn't where the hits are. The Cincinnati Reds catcher probably was the first player on the team's chartered plane out of Cincinnati.

During the just-concluded nine-game homestand LaRue went 1-for-25, and no calculator is needed to figure out that batting average — .040.

LaRue, though, isn't fretting, pouting or staging any self-pity parties.

"I'm great ... I feel great," he said. "Everybody goes through slumps, and it's a matter of how bad it gets. You might say I'm going through a real good one.

"Get down? Absolutely not. I'll get out of it," he said. "It's a matter of time."

LaRue was 0-for-4 Wednesday against San Diego, "But I made a small adjustment before the game and felt better than I have in a long time. I hit it hard a couple of times."

LaRue isn't worried about the ugly numbers.

"That's baseball, and you live with it," he said. "I try for a quality at-bat every time. We're only a month into the season, so why panic?

"Numbers are overrated, don't tell the whole story," he added. "Numbers will drive you crazy. You can still do your job — hit with runners in scoring position, move runners over. When I look in the mirror, I ask if I did everything I could to try to help the team win a game."

Familiar faces

When Eric Milton faces the Philadelphia Phillies tonight, it will be the first time he has faced his former teammates.

Milton was 14-6 with a 4.75 ERA in 34 starts for the Phillies last season, then signed a three-year $25.5 million free-agent deal with the Reds.

"I never even faced the Phillies when I was with Minnesota, and we played them interleague games," he said. "There are a great bunch of guys over there, just as there is here.

"And it will be strange facing friends and guys you played with," Milton added. "You have to get past that, and I'd like to pitch a good game, just one time."

Milton, 2-3 with a 6.18 ERA in five starts for the Reds, did face the Phillies in spring training, "And that was strange, too." Outfielder Pat Burrell hit two home runs off him.

Claussen doubtful

It isn't official, but it doesn't look as if Brandon Claussen will make his scheduled start Sunday against the Phillies.

If not, Elizardo Ramirez, obtained last year from the Phillies, will face his old team, too.

Claussen was supposed to play catch before Thursday's game, but was unable to, He was still wearing a protective boot over his sprained left ankle.

"We'll see if he can play catch (today)," said manager Dave Miley, "and make the decision then."

Ramirez made his Reds debut Wednesday, two relief innings in which he gave up two runs, two hits and two walks.

"He has a good changeup and didn't use it," Miley said. "He needs to use it. He only threw his fastball and breaking pitch, and he needs to use all three pitches."

Sign, sign, sign

Ken Griffey Jr. spent a long, long time before Thursday's game sitting at a clubhouse table, pen in hand. "Who says I don't sign autographs?" he said, scribbling again and again on baseball cards.

He was signing Upper Deck cards, a contractual obligation. How many? Only 2,000.

"Writer's cramp? I'm going to have writer's block," he said.

Casey's review

Sean Casey has some recommended reading. He is reading a self-help book, The Power of Now, by Echhart Tolle.

"It's awesome," he said. "It is all about slowing things down in your life, just sitting down a few minutes and thinking things through."

Casey would like to think of ways to avoid grounding into double plays. The first baseman hit into a double play in the first inning Friday, giving him a league-leading 11, four more than the next highest total. Incredibly, he still is hitting .300.

Bambino in Cincinnati

A Babe Ruth in Cincinnati exhibit begins Saturday at the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. The bat Ruth used to hit his 52nd home run in 1921 and a ball he hit into the Crosley Field sun deck during batting practice in 1935 will be displayed.

The Farm Report

All four Reds minor-league teams were under .500 after Wednesday — Class AAA Louisville (16-17), Class AA Chattanooga (14-19), Class A Sarasota (14-18) and Class A Dayton (12-20) were a combined 321/2 games out of first.

Outfielder Kenny Kelly has an 11-game hit streak for Louisville; pitcher Bubba Nelson recorded his sixth save in a 5-3 Chattanooga win over Carolina (Marlins); and former Dayton Dragon Joey Votto hit his fourth homer in Sarasota's 11-1 win over Vero Beach (Dodgers).
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A few random notes:
    *Milton with a bit of an emotional game coming up.... great, at least Thome won't be in the lineup.
    *Ramirez starting could be interesting. For some reason I feel it could either be a great effort or blowout affair, nothing really in between.
    *"Bambino in Cincinnati" For some reason that made me think of the Simpsons. Where the hometown team had like Babe Ruth the 4th on the team. I remember the announcer saying something to the effect of "Sure he is no Babe Ruth the 3rd, but the organization thinks very highly of him." I was at the game where Pete Rose Jr. made his debut and the Reds made a big deal about it, so I always think of that. lol
    *Votto mashing, awesome.

MLB ERA
    Good stuff mission.

And lucky me: looks like I might see Elizardo live and in action on Sunday from up close and personal Club seats.

I will be sure to have a full report about him and the game in general after it's over.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Good stuff mission.

And lucky me: looks like I might see Elizardo live and in action on Sunday from up close and personal Club seats.

I will be sure to have a full report about him and the game in general after it's over.
    Very nice, its ironic that Ramirez will be making his first start against the team that traded him. Hopefully he will have no ill effects of extended time off being in the pen.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sweet deal CRF! Let me know what you think of Citizens Bank, I'm always curious to hear about the new parks.

MLB ERA
    I sure will. These seats should give me a good view of anything that happens not only during the game(on the field) but with the players in the dugout, etc. (Any comments, arguments or anything like that). Gotta love Diamond Club seats.