Thread: Could this be Kearns' year?

MLB ERA

Could this be Kearns' year?

Could this be Kearns' year?
    Right fielder needs to stay in the game to reach potential

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

If the Cincinnati Reds 2005 Media Guide were a high school yearbook, underneath outfielder Austin Kearns' photograph would be written: "Most Likely to Succeed."

If Kearns stays healthy, there is no way he can't succeed, there is no way he can't have what is called in the baseball business, "a breakout year."

As one scout said during spring training at Ed Smith Stadium as he sat scribbling notes in a loose-leaf notebook, "Kearns has the most natural and raw talent of anybody on the Reds team. I wish we had him. In fact, we've tried. That team would be crazy to let him go."

Unfortunately, there is more in Kearns' biography about strained hamstrings, torn labrums, broken bones and holes in his thumb than there is about doubles, home runs, RBIs, batting average and fun at the ol' ballyard.

The 24-year-old No. 1 draft pick out of Lexington, Ky., in 1998 played only 64 games last year and only 82 in 2003 due to an injury assortment that rivals the Esther Price chocolate assortment.

When he was 21 and a rookie, Kearns permitted fans to whiff and sniff the talent inside his 6-foot-3, 245-pound body by hitting .315 with 13 homers and 56 RBIs in 372 at-bats after a mid-season double-jump call-up from Class AA Chattanooga.

Oh, on his way from Tennessee, he made a one-night stand in Kentucky, going 3-for-4 in one game for the Class AAA Louisville Bats before the Reds told him to continue his northern trek right to Cincinnati.

Watching Kearns this spring, his best friend and on-the-road roommate, Adam Dunn, predicted large things this season for Kearns. Ken Griffey Jr. seconded the motion. Passed.

Dunn was the team's No. 2 pick behind Kearns in 1998 and watched in awe while Kearns sliced, diced and shredded the Midwest League for Class A Dayton in 2000 — a .300 average, 37 doubles, a league-leading 27 homers, a league-leading 104 RBIs and a league-leading 110 runs scored.

Said Dunn: "He owned Dayton. He was the big star. They watched him, not me."

And Dunn was no slouch that year, hitting .281 with 16 homers and 79 RBIs, "But Kearns was the man."

Since then, though, The Man has not been The Indestructible Man. It isn't that he is brittle. He suffered hand injuries twice while making diving catches. He hurt his shoulder when beefy Atlanta pitcher Ray King fell on him during a play at home plate. He fractured his wrist when he was hit by a pitch.

Ladders won't walk under him. Black cats cross the street to avoid walking in front of him and bring themselves bad luck. Mirrors hope he doesn't drop them.

"I don't even want to talk about injuries," he said this spring. "Maybe if I don't talk about them, they won't happen. I just want to play and stay out of the training room."

If his place is in the batter's box and in right field for most of the season, expect Kearns to etch the numbers next to his name that he did in the minors.He wouldn't be only beneficiary. The Cincinnati Reds would say, "Austin, thanks for coming."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Kearns is our man this year guys. I really have a positive view on how well he should perform. I mean he really has the ability to be better than Dunn, An I know how much we all love Dunn's ability. Just my two cents but I think we may be thinking a lot higher about Kearns along with others come season's end.

MLB ERA
    i hope kearns will produce this year, stay healthy, that'd be grand
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AAA ERA
    wonder how pena will do off the bench?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Kearns stays healthy, then we're going to have ourselves a heck of a ballplayer. He's already showed that he can produce while he's in the lineup, so it's time for him to breakout this year!

MLB ERA
    Kearns can be a great player. I hope he can stay healthy this year, because you guys have yourself a great player in the making.