Fans Seeing Red
The 2005 Reds were supposed to be much improved - but as losers of 21 of 34 games, clearly they're not

By John Fay
Enquirer staff writer

The Reds' season began with so much promise.

But after spending $14.5 million in the offseason and starting with three straight victories for the first time in 15 years, little has gone right.

The Reds have a 13-21 win-loss record after beating Philadelphia 7-5 Thursday night, but they are 8½ games out of first place in the National League Central Division and have lost 11 of 14.

Great American Ball Park fans are booing. Attendance is down an average of 2,555 fans - to 22,402 through the team's first 19 home games - compared with 2004, when the team was in first place in the division as late as June 10.

"I'm a little disappointed," said Steve Taylor, 43, of Fort Thomas, who has been to three games. "They started off pretty good. With the offseason moves, they talked like things were going to be looking up. The area they said they strengthened - relief pitching - is weakened as far as I'm concerned. Usually they come on strong and then fade after the All-Star break."

Sports talk radio callers are taking out their anger on manager Dave Miley, general manager Dan O'Brien and owner Carl Lindner. Even Don Gullett, pitching coach since 1993, is getting some grief.

"What's the worst part of the Reds? Their pitching," said Dennis Behrendt, 54, of Anderson Township, who listens to or watches every game. "What's the most consistent thing the Reds have had for the last 10 years? The same guy's been in charge of pitching: Gullett."

But the players say they are to blame for the team's slow start.

"No doubt that we have great players on this team," utility player Ryan Freel said. "We need to play like we're a winning team and not a losing team. I don't think our confidence is there as far as the whole chemistry.

"We need to pick each other up and get this whole thing rolling."
Click here for the rest