Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arroyo signs two-year extension

MLB ERA
    Here is some good stuff from Bronson's presser. Interesting comments from him, so read along:

Also, both Bronson and Krivsky were obviously pleased at the press conference today.

Bronson talked about how much he enjoyed being here and how happy he was with what Wayne has done with the team. He was really impressed last season when they kept making deals to try to make the team better -- something he said he'd not experienced much in his time coming up through the Pirates system. However, he said this deal was pretty close to getting done before he'd even heard about Aaron Harang's deal, but he was also happy with that.

Bronson also talked about how much he liked Cincinnati, and how he is glad to be here for another four-to-five years.

"If I had been in a place that I really, really hated and didn’t want to come to the ballpark every day, maybe you don’t do it. But I’ve enjoyed myself here and hopefully we bring more fans out to the ballpark this year."

Krivsky approached Arroyo's agent at the winter meetings in Orlando, then in the last couple of weeks, once he felt he had a pretty good chance of getting Harang's deal done, Krivsky started on this one. Arroyo said he was very impressed with the Reds initial offer, his people made, what Krivsky called, a reasonable counteroffer, they weren't very far off and met somewhere inbetween.

Bronson was pretty surprised when the Reds approached him, but said he's happy they did.

"I was surprised they wanted to talk two years ahead of time. But then, when you think about it, they have a brain too. Maybe if they waited another year and I had another 200-plus inning year and you see the light at the end of the tunnel to be a free agent, it’s not as enticing to stay. "

Also, something that was interesting, he said his music career was discouraged in Boston -- the thinking being it was a distraction -- but he was happy how the Reds have embraced it. He played a show for the Reds Community Fund last year, and in addition to the donations he'll make, he's also hoping to play a couple of more shows to benefit the Reds Community Fund.

"I’m a Red now, man. Last year at the beginning of the season I was still watching a lot of Sox games and I was still caught up in the middle emotionally of being traded. After being here a year, and going through what we did, having a chance to make the playoffs, I’m a Red through and through now."

ANOTHER UPDATE: Stuff I didn't use in my story for tomorrow's paper.

Bronson: "I was surprised they wanted to talk two years ahead of time. But then, when you think about it, they have a brain too. Maybe if they waited another year and I had another 200-plus inning year and you see the light at the end of the tunnel to be a free agent, it’s not as enticing to stay. They did what was right for them. I didn’t know about Aaron, but I’m glad they locked us up for nearly identical deals. It’s nice to pitch along side a guy you can lean on a little bit. I don’t think I’d ever want to be the guy who felt like I had to carry the whole load. I think Aaron is going to do great. When I’m down and not pitching so well, you always look to him. "

On his music career, and the ability to continue that in Cincinnati: "It’s been good. The team here has definitely embraced that a little more than Boston did. Boston discouraged it, thinking it was a distraction to me. I think people have enjoyed that part of me here. I’m getting opportunity to play a couple of shows. Next year, the longer I’m in the league, you end up doing less and less and try to concentrate on baseball and doing things you enjoy more. I’ll probably raise some money for the Community Fund again. I’ve been happy with what I’ve been able to do in the community here."

"There’s a flip side to every coin. Obviously, I wish the stadium was full every night. I’ve said since the first day I came here, people ask me how I’ve enjoyed Cincinnati. I say I’ve enjoyed this city as much as any I’ve played in, other than coming to the ballpark and not having it full every night."

"I’ve got two years until free agency, I’ve enjoyed myself here. It’s a little quieter, a little more simple lifestyle. To come here and know where I’m going to be for the next four or five years and not have to worry about getting traded anywhere. It’s comforting. There’s a comfort here. With this off season the pitchers are getting outrageous amounts of money. For me to pass up the offer to sign a two-year deal would be stupid."

Wayne: "Havign them both signed is huge for us. I’ve got to think the other players on the club are saying maybe it could be me somewhere down the road. With Homer Bailey coming along, it’s a good thing. We’ll see how he progesses."

"This organization has to develop their own pitching much better than it has in the past. We have to get to the point where we’re developing our young pitchers as a huge point of emphasis."

"Good pitching gets out good hitting. Someone smarter than me came up with that one. But certainly over baseball’s history, you look at your teams in the playoffs, they’re high on the ERA ladder."

-Trent Rosecrans
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    2 years / $25 mil? wow...he's not worth that IMHO...I guess they're just "overpaying" him at the end to balance out the cheapness in the beginning?
    look at the market, all the Free Agent pitchers got more then what they were worth.. so when it comes down to it, if he has another year like he did in the first half.. he would make at least that or more from other clubs who have the resources to spend it.. so while I am cynical.. it isn't a horrible move..YET.. if he has a great year it becomes a great move.. right now it is a gamble that he is going to have more good seasons.. because we can sign him right now.. but if he hits the open market we may not be able to sign him because of how much other teams over pay for their pitching

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Many of you have made a great point that I agree with. Its simple really, he would have made more money than what the Reds gave him if he became a FA after this season. I think Krivsky was very smart in making the change now. Arroyo sees more money coming in and is hungry for the dollar bill now. Krivsky took a stab and got it. Now both sides are happy and the fans get to enjoy a few years of Arroyo.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I have a few more comments to post on the articles you listed CRF (I appreciate those BTW), but I really digged this comment:

"I’m a Red now, man. Last year at the beginning of the season I was still watching a lot of Sox games and I was still caught up in the middle emotionally of being traded. After being here a year, and going through what we did, having a chance to make the playoffs, I’m a Red through and through now."
    It's kind of like the guy who had his heart broken by his gal only to have another one catch his eye a few weeks later that allows him to move on. Heh. But seriously, it's nice to see that Arroyo is starting to embrace being a Red and hopefully the fans will start coming out more because I think he's a player who obviously craves that sort of thing in a way that it's really good for him emotionally before a game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep, that quote made me feel more comfortable calling Arroyo a Red as well. We all know his heart was elsewhere last season, yet he pitched his butt off for us. Now he is over Boston and is striving to get more comfort in Cincy. Don't worry Bronson, the fans will come for you if you pitch the way you did last season.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I heard a great point on the radio Yesterday. Harang and rroyo start making their bigger money onceGriffey and Milton are off the books. It is likely that Dunn's contract would be gone as well. So if we are thinking that the Reds will have money during the 08 and 09 FA period, we may have seen that money already spent.

Now, was that money spent well? I say it absolutely was. Imagine Harang and Arroyo walking after this year. We would have to lean heavy on Homer Bailey to be our ace with nothing to follow him. Dunn would likely be traded for nothing unless he improves somehow. This team would stink. We would have to try and trade Dunn and pray to get someone like a Harang in return (which I think would never happen). Then we would have to use that money left over from dropping Milton and Griffey's contracts to try and sign an equivalent to Arroyo. That may not happen because of how much the Reds have to overpay a player to play for the Reds because they wouldn't see them as a contender.

With these two signings, the Redscan be viewed as a contender who are building a very bright future.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I heard a great point on the radio Yesterday. Harang and rroyo start making their bigger money onceGriffey and Milton are off the books. It is likely that Dunn's contract would be gone as well. So if we are thinking that the Reds will have money during the 08 and 09 FA period, we may have seen that money already spent.

Now, was that money spent well? I say it absolutely was. Imagine Harang and Arroyo walking after this year. We would have to lean heavy on Homer Bailey to be our ace with nothing to follow him. Dunn would likely be traded for nothing unless he improves somehow. This team would stink. We would have to try and trade Dunn and pray to get someone like a Harang in return (which I think would never happen). Then we would have to use that money left over from dropping Milton and Griffey's contracts to try and sign an equivalent to Arroyo. That may not happen because of how much the Reds have to overpay a player to play for the Reds because they wouldn't see them as a contender.

With these two signings, the Redscan be viewed as a contender who are building a very bright future.
    i agree that if Harang and Arroyo can pitch as well as they did last year(1st half for Arroyo) then it is a fantastic deal, because Harang and Arroyo are both solid #2 and #3 guys.. what this deal means to me is that we are banking on Bailey being the ace with Harang and Arroyo being the 2,3. while I am not worried about Harrang, the 2nd half last season of Arroyo does scare me a bit.. so to me its a gamble, but considering how hard it is to land good pitching without over paying anyway, i feel we had really no choice but to do it this way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12