Thread: reds do something right, lock harang up tight

MLB ERA

reds do something right, lock harang up tight

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/conte...6/c1795460.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by mlb.com
    Reds sign Harang to four-year deal
    02/06/2007 12:30 PM ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds avoided arbitration with ace starting pitcher Aaron Harang on Tuesday when they signed him to a four-year, $36.5 million contract through the 2010 season with a club option for 2011.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky and Harang will be holding a 2 p.m. ET press conference at Great American Ball Park.

Coming off his best season, Harang went 16-11 with a 3.76 ERA in 36 games, including 35 starts, in 2006.

Part of a solid 1-2 rotation combo with Bronson Arroyo, the 28-year-old Harang offered the club consistency by pitching 234 1/3 innings and led the National League with 216 strikeouts and six complete games and was also tied for the league lead in victories.

Before Harang, the last Reds pitcher to lead the NL in strikeouts was Jose Rijo in 1993. No Reds pitcher had led the league in complete games since Danny Jackson in 1988.

Harang broke into the Majors in 2002 with the Athletics before he was traded by Oakland to the Reds on July 30, 2003, for outfielder Jose Guillen and pitchers Joe Valentine and Jeff Bruksch.

In the exchange of arbitration figures last month, Harang was seeking $5.5 million for next season, while the Reds counter-offered $4.25 million. The right-hander avoided arbitration with the club last winter when he signed a one-year deal worth $2.35 million.

With deals already done for pitcher Kyle Lohse and catcher David Ross this winter, the Reds have no other players left eligible for arbitration before Spring Training opens on Feb. 17.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What a fantastic deal. I really wish I could elaborate more, I am just for once, pleasantly surprised.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Harang has earned his current place on the banner and ensured it for next season. He's been a steady improvement each season while being a quite but respected member of the team. It's amazing to think he was willing to resign with us at 36 mil per for 4 years, when slobs like Meche can demand what he could on the FA market. Harang was one of the best NL pitchers last season and while he might not repeat at that level, he could easily demanded more on the market. For him not to jerk the Reds out of an insane amount of cash is a sign to me that he believes we can compete and that he enjoys it here.

Bravo to Krivsky on his best move in his reign.

MLB ERA
    Damn, I was looking forward to hoping for us to sign him next offseason and having my hopes dashed.

(Seriously, congrats.)
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Amazing signing. I used to feel like we were the culprit of seeing bad deals being made. The Milton signing was the majority of this thinking, but with Krivsky making this deal, I have far more confidence in him. Harang for 5 more years! This is incredible.

I still think this guy is improving and will continue to be at the top of the rankings with NL pitchers. Eventually many observers will take notice. Great signing.

AAA ERA
    I won't go as far as to compare Harang to the likes of Jimmy Haynes or Paul Wilson, I just know how bad we have been burned by signing Pitchers who have had success for us.. luckily he has had more than just one good year.. He is definately worth the money if he keeps putting up the numbers he has to this point in his career as a Red.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Congrats to you Reds' fans!!!

C you there
    MLB ERA
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO God's Own Cincinnati Reds Locked a great pitcher

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    The difference between Harang and Wilson/Haynes is that Harang has proven himself for a few years. I know NFL already stated this, but it is the prime reason to be excited about this deal. That and the outstanding contract he got vs what he could have gotten as a FA.

I look forward to Harang being the ace of this staff for a while and perhaps becoming a bigtime number two to Bailey next season.

Love the signing, Harang for 5 more years. I heard about it yesterday at work and i said, "It's about d*** time the Reds do something smart"

MLB ERA

new rally caps!
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]