Thread: Freel, everyday player?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Freel, everyday player?

So Krivsky didn't sign anyone whom we could say would be the savior of the Reds in 2007. Is this really a big deal? Yes, I was pretty ticked off at first, but then I came to realize that this offense may not be as bad as we thought. Yes, it will be worse, but how much worse?

My first question to you all is how you would feel if Freel were named the everyday RF (CF pending a Griffey move to RF)? Can he disprove the critics and play one position everyday? And would you rather Freel play everyday or Denorfia?

MLB ERA
    I would perfer platooning Griffey, Denorfia, and Freel to help all 3. I think if given the choice of Denorfia and Freel, Freel has to be the choice. Freel has paid his dues and I think if he comes in knowing its his job to lose then I think Freel comes in stronger. He's a spark plug for this offense with his speed and bat control that needs to be in there.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree here Slyder. Freel just brings so much to the table on both ends of the game. His speed and ability to create something out of nothing is unparalleled. We need that kind of guy on the team.

This team has lost its offensive production when we lost Felo and Ears. But having Freel play everyday is a good way to steer it in the right direction. Now the problem comes in, what to do with Deno? He is another guy who has untapped potential and could be a great force in the contact department, if he were to play everyday. So what would we do with him if Freel were the everyday guy?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if Deno is the odd man out if one thing happens... Hamilton doesn't completly bomb in spring training. Narron has gone on record stating how much he likes Hamilton (his brother works with him) and will be giving him AB's a plenty... and if that happens, it's either Freel or Deno off the roster likely. With neither being ex-Twins or acquired during Kriv's regime, it's hard to tell which one would be gone, but I could see them trading Deno since Kriv went from talking about him like he's a future piece of the outfield to giving Freel more props this offseason. It just seems like he soured on him.

But onto the question, I think it would be optimal to have them split time at CF (with Griffey moving to RF.) Even though his splits were overstated last year in comparison to his career, he usually favors lefties and last year he showed pretty decent power (for Freel) in GAB. It's hard to determine what Deno will do since he has been a prospect who has showed success at each level as an older prospect, so I would give him the AB's he needs to see if he can match the player some thought he could be. Then again, if Hamilton tears it up in ST, no matter how unlikely and impossible it is... you have to play him. But that's wishful thinking more than anything.

MLB ERA
    freel can not be an every day player...they tried that last season and he ended up burning out and taking a week off.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well he might have learned what it takes to play everyday now Ghetto. Freel should be in the lineup everyday because he is balls out and is a threat on the basepaths. Plus he deserves an everyday spot plus he's a good leadoff man for this squad.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Exactly right reefer. I completely understand the knowledge of Freel burning out. But on those cases, he will just need a rest for a few days. He would be like any other player. Griffey will not be playing everyday either. I guess this answers the Deno question. If Freel is our starter, then Deno would likely take over Freel old position on the team. At least as the utility outfielder. I see Castro becoming the main utility infielder.

AAA ERA
    i still don't think he can do it, and trust me before last season I was one of those guy who screamed for him to be in the lineup everyday.. and when he did, he really stuggled after a while as if he just got too tired.. BUT he could be in almost every day.. he just needs some rest periods.. but there is no doubt that we really need his speed and hustle in the lineup everyday.. but if we cant, I would like to see 4 out of every 5 games

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Mission also brought up a good point. Hamilton is definitely in the picture and we all know Narron is really rooting for this guy. As am I. It would be incredible to have this guy become a big surprise. The way they talk abouthis talent, I just don't think a guy would lose it all no matter how long he has been away from the game. It will take a while to refine the game he once had, but he is still young enough to see if patience will be a virtue.

As for Freel not playing everyday, I do remember him burning out and in this case a platoon with Deno and Freel and Hamilton squeezed in there would be ideal. And if Hamilton really proves himself, then why not trade Deno?

Of course, we would have to worry about "the trade" being reincarnated on a smaller scale with Krivsky calling the shots. But if he could trade Deno and get value for him (only if Hamilton shows he could be an adequate utility outfielder) why not do it? Or would you guys rather it be Freel as the one traded and keep Deno?