Thread: Hal McCoy: Yankees won't win it all

MLB ERA

Hal McCoy: Yankees won't win it all

The Yankees won't win it all in '05

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

It is tempting to automatically predict that the New York Yankees will win the American League East, the American League Championship Series, the World Series, the Powerball and the war with Iraq.

After all, the Evil Empire has more gold than the Roman Empire, and King George III considers baseball players his crown jewels.

Then you read Jim Caple's hilarious book, The Devil Wears Pinstripes, and you, too, become a Yankees hater.

OK, I don't hate the Yankees. I don't hate anybody. Can I say I mildly dislike the Yankees?

So, I won't pick them to win anything. Now let's hunt for a reason. How can any team with a 64-year-old first baseman, Tino Martinez, win a championship? So there.

American League

Now that Boston fans no longer have anything to whine about for the first time since 1918, what will they do? They'll watch the Red Sox win the AL East, that's what. They've strengthened their pitching by adding Matt Clement and Wade Miller. All the Yankees did is add some guy with the common name of Johnson and a guy who likes to date entertainers (Carl Pavano).

Call me a homer, but I'm picking my childhood team, the Cleveland Indians, to win the American League Central and end The Curse of Sockalexis and Manny Ramirez. They have the best player nobody knows in Travis Hafner and they have Aaron Boone, my favorite player for reasons everybody knows — it's personal and has zero to do with baseball.

Take Texas to win the American League West because, well, nobody is very good in that division and there has to be an upset special. Oakland got rid of almost its entire starting staff and even Moneyball can't save 'em.

The wild card? Not New York. Minnesota.

National League

For the first time since Hank Aaron was a pup, Atlanta won't win the National League East. That belongs to Florida and Senior Citizen Manager Jack McKeon and his solid pitching staff. Atlanta, though, will finish second.

For the first time in three years, I'm not picking the Chicago Cubs to win the National League Central, even though they are better off without His Samminess, Sammy Sosa. Losing Moises Alou hurts more and the health of pitchers Kerry Wood and Mark Prior is suspect.

If you think the pick is Cincinnati, well ... no. St. Louis will win again with its balance of offense, pitching and defense. The Reds will finish third, ahead of aging Houston ... I mean, how long can Roger Clemens go to the Fountain of Youth and be given another drink of water, with Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio in line, too.

The Los Angeles Dodgers will win the weak National League West, by default if nothing else. San Francisco? With or without Barry Bonds, BALCO has a better chance of beating the rap than the Giants do of beating Los Angeles, or San Diego.

Give the wild card to Atlanta, with the league's second best pitching behind Florida.

The playoffs

The Marlins will win the National League pennant and Boston will repeat as American League champions, beating Cleveland in the ALCS in Game 7 on a ninth-inning home run by David Ortiz that hits the top of the Green Monster and bounces over.

And get ready for victory cigar smoke, a Padron, of course, to fill the manager's office when

Florida wins its second World

Series for McKeon in three years.

OK, for our Bronx edition, the Yankees win, the Yankees win, thaaaaaaaah Yankees win.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I agree with Hal on some of his predictions, but I also disagree on others.

I think he is underrating the Padres a bit and I of course think the Reds will finish better than the 3rd place finish that he is predicting for them.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    yea they should have the second place locked up if they stay healthy.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Call me a homer
    ok, homer...