MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

McCoy: Griffey willing to give right field a try

Griffey willing to give right field a try
    Manager Jerry Narron: 'He wants to do what's best for the Cincinnati Reds.'

By Hal McCoy
    Staff Writer
    Wednesday, January 17, 2007

CINCINNATI — The expected news is that Ken Griffey Jr. remains on schedule to be ready for spring training. The unexpected news is that right field may be in his future for the Cincinnati Reds.

Griffey and manager Jerry Narron have talked about the possibility of Griffey switching to right field and Griffey is open-minded about the possibility.

"Griffey is very open to doing what he can do to be on the field more," Narron said. "He realizes that Kirby Puckett moved (to right field) and that Cal Ripken, Jr. moved to third base.

"He wants to do what is best for the Cincinnati Reds," Narron added. "He realizes that to be on the field more he has to change positions."

Before moving, Griffey wants to be certain somebody better can play center field, the position Griffey has played since signing his first major-league contract in 1987.

Narron probably will play Ryan Freel and others in center and have Griffey play some right field the first couple weeks of spring training.

Said Narron, "If we started spring training tomorrow, Griffey would be in center field, but right field in spring training is a possibility.
    Click Here To Read The Rest

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    First, Puckett was Griffey's favorite player growing up. That may help his sensitivity issues a bit as he feels like if his favorite player had to do so, he may have to as well.

Second, why not play Griffey in RF from the start of ST. This will give the organization yet another excuse not to move a player. 2 years agao, Kearns took ground balls all throughout the offseason, yet come ST they decided it wasn'ta good decision. Last season, Dunn prepared himself to play 1B. But to the fan's surprise, the organization decided against it. Now Griffeyis mentioned to possibly move to RF and they haven't even made up their mind yet. This decision is over before it thinks about starting. I see there being no hope for Griffey to play RF whatsoever.

AAA ERA
    yeah i guess seeing will be believing, if in ST he is playing RF, then we will be happy, but if he isn't, well we shouldn't be suprised.. a buddy of mine was telling me about this, and i doubted it it would happen.. so we will see.

I too will have to see it to believe it. The team seems to do a lot of talking yet nothing is done. Moving Jr to RF would get Freel, or someone else on the field, and also maybe save some wear-n-tear on Jr to keep him playing more this coming season.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Welcome back BRM!!!

AA ERA
    I will believe it when it happens during the regular season. At this point last year we all thought Dunn would be playing 1st.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Another guy we havent seen in a long time! Whats up volzok?

I agree with you guys fully. This just doesn't seem like the focus of this FO or Narron at all. It's the standard PR BS and it is starting to really tick me off.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I really doubt it happens unless the front office makes a trade for someone Griffey would find acceptable in handing the torch off to. Of course Denorfia is very deserving of this, but the Reds are way too sensitive about this with Jr. and Krivsky seems to have soured on Deno versus the stance he took on him after 'The Trade' occured.

Anywho welcome back buddy!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Griffey may stay healthier. He won't have as much ground to cover. Has he thought of that?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

then again, I could be wrong!