Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds solve their first base platoon problem? (trade with PHI)

MLB ERA

Reds solve their first base platoon problem? (trade with PHI)

Philly trades 1B/OF Jeff Conine to the Reds, Reds give up OF Javon Moran and 3B Bradley Key.

Key is an absolute nothing as a prospect, Moran might end up in the majors some day as a fourth or fifth outfielder but he's 24.

Not the most impressive acquisition but he'll be a nice bench bat, and he's not that expensive (about two million), and he'll provide a partner at first for Hatteberg. Plus, they gave up nothing to do it.

AAA ERA
    uh yeah, nothing to see here, go about your buisness, no action action by Reds GM

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I've always liked Conine, and Hattenine will be a serviceable platoon, but man we're quickly becoming the Cincinnati Giants.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Still nowhere near what I was expecting. This was Krivsky's most pressing issue as heard round the globe the last few weeks, it was all he would mention in talks about a need. Yet, he comes up with another something that is just a possibility.

I am not even excited to update my MLB 2K6 team with this transaction. Whatever...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I've always liked Conine a lot so this makes this move somewhat allowable. But it really does so little for our numbers and fails to address the offensive concerns that we have. Free agency has been a total bust this year for us. And while I do like Conine, having two vets like this makes Joey Votto's possible strong spring emergence to the roster nearly impossible... so perhaps I should rethink my stance a bit. Meh.

I wouldnt be shocked if they still made a run at another RH Bat. God know's Wayne will probably trade Dunn. And since, Wayne is in love with "baseball guys" he probably has Conine envisioned playing in LF when Dunn is dealt. But anyways, he will be a nice bench player...The reds OF is far from a certainty at any position. So, this is an ok move. Its not like anyone besides Griff/Dunn are anything all that great over a course of a season.

Griffey, good for at least 30-45 games missed
    Freel, wears down playing everyday (plus will get time at 2b, SS and 3rd)
    Dunn, their best player also most likely to be traded
    Bubba, backup talent
    Deno, 4th OF type of player
    Hamilton, huge question mark
    Conine, Can play 1st and corners

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Hey, I think he is a good guy to have on your team. He can play some third, LF, RF, and DH in interleague games for ya. A good, quality veteran to have on your team to help mentor the youngster. I kind of compare him to Cirillio. Thats why so many Brewer's fans were disappointed that he signed somewhere else. I think this is one of the better pick-ups the Reds have done in the off-season. just my opinion on that!

MLB ERA
    There is no doubt this will lead us to the promised land.

Wow.

I'm in awe.

They finally have put us over the top.

Oh, wait, they didn't? Dang.

Seriously, I don't mind Conine, but this is another move to not get overly excited about.

Still waiting for a nice bat and a No. 3 (or something close) starter. I wouldn't mind a more live bullpen arm either.

Fortunately, we still have time, but Krivsky needs to get the wind blowing this ship again before Dan O'Brien-like inertia takes him over completely.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I know that Conine is NOT what we want as fans. But he is a good utility player who seems to get those clutch hits when a team needs them! Maybe he will excel in pinch hitting for the Reds? Who knows? I hope you Reds fans get the player(s) that you are looking for! I am wishing for Suppan, and some quality players for Jenkins and/or Mench also!!!

AA ERA
    man you got my hopes up. i thought you were going to say we got Howard man would that be nice. Oh and wayne is an idiot.Conine wont help us at all.

I for one can’t wait to go to a game this year and see the Reds run out this lineup mid June when Narron thinks he needs to “mix it up a little” and get some “baseball guys” out there that can do the “little things” and we see this potential lineup…

Chris Denorfia, CF
    Bubba Crosby, LF
    Alex Gonzalez, SS
    Jeff Conine, 1b
    Chad Moeller, C
    Ray Olmedo, 2b
    Josh Hamilton, RF
    Juan Castro, 3b
    Eric Milton, SP

AA ERA
    that is a lineup that will not win many ballgames at all.

MLB ERA
    Hamilton should bat higher in that lineup. Heroin addiction = homerun power.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I guarantee we will see that lineup more then once this year. I love it!

Reds Chick Baseblogger Red Hot Mama's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by albbla2000mu
    Chris Denorfia, CF
    Bubba Crosby, LF
    Alex Gonzalez, SS
    Jeff Conine, 1b
    Chad Moeller, C
    Ray Olmedo, 2b
    Josh Hamilton, RF
    Juan Castro, 3b
    Eric Milton, SP