Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can we do to improve the forum?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What can we do to improve the forum?

I've got the time now, so let me know what either me or redsrbetter can do to make this place better. I am really open to suggestions.

MLB ERA
    We just need to all remain as active as possible. We need long, interesting Game Threads, we need to keep up with posting newspaper articles on a daily basis, and we need to have a variety of discussion on different issues.

Maybe we should look at recruiting some more members from different areas too. I'm not sure where else we could look, but we should have a bunch of us go to as many places we can think of to aggressively recruit.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think we have an awesome core here. There are so many posters here that bring a lot of good thought. If we are concerned with the reds forum, it may be just that a lot of posters are not on at the same time. Because when we get at least 4 or 5 posters in the Reds forum together, generally we have some conversation going. We have to start some very interesting threads and keep everybody interested.

As far as recruiting goes; I have talked to mission a little on this. I am currently trying to recruit people in the NLCentral division fan base. If you are interested in coming along, PM me and I will definitely show you how I am going about this. If we get quite a few of us on this, it could really be effective. (Like CRF said)

Also just want to note: slyder, volzok, NFLman, and griffeyfan30 have really stepped it up and we need this kind of posting to continue. Always looking for those bigtime posters that do a better job than me.

i came over from the reds message board on MLB.com when mission posted the link. I think we could do more of that since i liked this board a lot more than that one, i think all it will take is someone checking this out once or twice. I looked at the old board again the other day for the first time in a long time, and it looks like they have a lot of discussion going throughout the day.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    We just need to all remain as active as possible. We need long, interesting Game Threads, we need to keep up with posting newspaper articles on a daily basis, and we need to have a variety of discussion on different issues.

Maybe we should look at recruiting some more members from different areas too. I'm not sure where else we could look, but we should have a bunch of us go to as many places we can think of to aggressively recruit.
    I agree we need to stay consistent in terms of our posting. And recruitment is key, if we brought on an additonal 10 or so fairly active members, this forum would have a large jump in activity (more opinions equal more needed replies to threads.)

Also, we need to all stay on good behaviors and avoid the fighting we have all seemed to had taken some part of in the past (maybe not all, but many.) I know if I was new here and saw the fighting, I wouldn't stay. That problem as a whole has improved over the months, but it's something we need to remain alert of and avoid if we want to grow.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I think we have an awesome core here. There are so many posters here that bring a lot of good thought. If we are concerned with the reds forum, it may be just that a lot of posters are not on at the same time. Because when we get at least 4 or 5 posters in the Reds forum together, generally we have some conversation going. We have to start some very interesting threads and keep everybody interested.
    I am not really concerned per se, I am just a person who thinks big and demands complete success. The core here is great and I really like our little community. I just would like to get to the point where the activity is significant enough that no one feels pressure to do something or another to make the forum active. I am currently extremely satisfied with what everyone here has added to the forums.

Also, I really don't want to become a huge forum. I like how we all seem to know each other pretty well and our views on baseball. It feels more like talking to your friends about the game rather than getting in the middle of the stadium and talking to the crowd. We know what to expect and it's a relaxed atmosphere, that isn't to say though we shouldn't strive to grow. I think we could still keep our same vibe even if we did get a good amount larger. I just want to make this place as good as it can be.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    i came over from the reds message board on MLB.com when mission posted the link. I think we could do more of that since i liked this board a lot more than that one, i think all it will take is someone checking this out once or twice. I looked at the old board again the other day for the first time in a long time, and it looks like they have a lot of discussion going throughout the day.
    Good thinking Wally. If you have any friends there, feel free to send them a message about us. And I am sure glad you found your way over, I really enjoy reading your posts and your take on the game. You add a ton to this forum and I truly appreciate it.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I agree with everything everyone has said here.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    How about have the Reds win some more games....LOL. If they win the posts will come

Granted the Reds were playing poorly, but I noticed that game threads were dead on an almost daily basis. Some members pop in at the last second of the game. Another thing that I don't like is that my browser just doesn't render this website smoothly. It's the same problem that existed with themlbforum.com, don't know what it is. All I can say is that when I scroll up and down pages, there is a lot of lag and choppiness. It gets tiring. Finally, I get tired of the nitpicking between posters. I understand that certain posters might find that humorous, but I find it destructive to online communities. Everyone needs to feel a part of discussion in threads, and there need to be less cliques. End of rant. :p

MLB ERA
    Tremere, not quite sure what "cliques" are you referring to, because I see none of them here.

As for the "choppy" movement, although that does happen every once in a while, there are other places where that happens much more often than here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    seriously and be honest here, if there really cliques I want to know with whom. I have come to believe that everyone here gets along and some have their spats, but they are just differences. Some are sensitive and we have to be sensitive to their feelings. So what cliques are there?

Not lashing out nor disagreeing here, but this could be a quick fix.

MLB ERA
    I agree with redsrbetter.

And I will admit that I am sometimes one of those who is sensitive. That's just my nature. It's just because I really want everyone to sing:

"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, gotta love one another right now".

AA ERA
    This board is more than fine.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietAcre
    Another thing that I don't like is that my browser just doesn't render this website smoothly. It's the same problem that existed with themlbforum.com, don't know what it is. All I can say is that when I scroll up and down pages, there is a lot of lag and choppiness. It gets tiring.
    Are you on Firefox or Mozilla? Because that is where I along with a few others have experienced problems. On both IE and Opera, it runs really smooth though.

If that's not the case though, I will have to look into it.

Everyone needs to feel a part of discussion in threads, and there need to be less cliques. End of rant.
    I know I am guilty of speaking of "inside jokes" from time to time but I never seek to make this place clique like. As long as someone can get along and talk the Reds with us, I am more than willing to do whatever it takes to make him or her feel apart of this community. I appreciate the suggestion though and I will try on making this community more inviting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast