Thread: Potential Interesting Non-Tender Pickups

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Potential Interesting Non-Tender Pickups

Note, I am not saying I want to bring all of these guys in or give them spots on the roster, just somewhat interesting options to look at bringing in, in some form.
    ---
    Jon Knott, say hello to the cheap other half of the Hatteberg 1B platoon. He did it at 27, but he mashed in the PCL and could be helpful against lefties, he can also play the outfield.

Jerome Williams, still quite a young pitcher who has ranged in amount of success, but he could start or at the very least bring down the average age of our middle age bullpen.

Chris Reitsma, chalk it up to sentimentality or the fact that I hope he still has the changeup, but an incentives based deal could be a wise move for our pen assuming he can comeback next season.

Aaron Rakers, he did have labrum surgery last season but he had quality stuff and once was highly regarded... he might be worth taking a shot on for the pen.

Chin-Hui Tsao, once another highly regarded prospect and even though I think his comeback is unlike given his shoulder problems, a minor league contract would be well worth the chance here.

Jorge Sosa, another twenty something year old guy with some endurance and past success.

Jayson Werth, as mentioned by redsfan4life, could be useful in the minors if we traded an outfielder.

AA ERA
    I believe Jerome Williams, Tsao, and Werth are all worth the Reds tendering at the least MLC's too. Not to mention those guys with a change of scenery may become something above average and be able to contribute.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Williams, Tsao, Reitsma, and Knott would be my favorites. With Werth being well, worth it, if we make an outfielder trade.

MLB ERA
    One report has the Reds close to signing Reitsma, but I have heard he hasn't signed...yet.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I really hope the base isn't over .500 mil (which even then, might be a bit much). I like Reitsma, I just don't know what shape we'll see him in and whether he's ready for ST or (more likely) ready in May/June. Thanks for the info though CRF.

I've been studying and refreshing the forums every once awhile, hoping Krivsky is getting something going. Ha.

AAA ERA
    Jon Knott - I would like him, but with him striking out 2times to 1 walk, you know Kriv won't take that

Jerome Williams - I like him, he is still very young and has done it at the MLB level if he can pull himself together

Chris Reitsma - for a non tender.. sure no problems

Aaron Rakers - more pitching, more of an opportunity to find someone who could help

Chin-Hui Tsao - still very young, great minor league numbers, and playing in Colorado doesn't help(although GABP isn't really much better)

Jorge Sosa - like other above here.. not too bad to take a chance on

Jayson Werth - Knott is better

Rookie ERA
    It would be cool if Hamilton developed into what everyone thought he would.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hamilton could be the player to watch for sure. Odds are against him with the time off he's seen and relatively having no experience in upper levels. But if the talent that remains starts to shine through, Krivsky could have something to work with. This offseason there has been less and less mention of Denorfia (why, I am not for sure) and more mention of Freel playing. If the Reds see Denorfia and Hamilton as their 4th and 5th outfielders, and given an injury to one of the three, if Hamilton emerges we could see a Freel trade (since he'll have nice value with his verstality). All I hope is that we give him a chance since he does appear to be clean and with his positive attitude of a fresh start, this could be the change Josh Hamilton needed to live up to his potential.

By the way, welcome to the forums. I always loved that picture of Pete.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Hamilton could be the player to watch for sure. Odds are against him with the time off he's seen and relatively having no experience in upper levels. But if the talent that remains starts to shine through, Krivsky could have something to work with. This offseason there has been less and less mention of Denorfia (why, I am not for sure) and more mention of Freel playing. If the Reds see Denorfia and Hamilton as their 4th and 5th outfielders, and given an injury to one of the three, if Hamilton emerges we could see a Freel trade (since he'll have nice value with his verstality). All I hope is that we give him a chance since he does appear to be clean and with his positive attitude of a fresh start, this could be the change Josh Hamilton needed to live up to his potential.

By the way, welcome to the forums. I always loved that picture of Pete.
    lets just hope Freel doesn't turn him into an Alcoholic

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    What ever happened to Tsao anyway? I remember hearing raves about him while he was in Colorado...it would be silly if somebody doesn't take a chance on him.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by browntown653
    What ever happened to Tsao anyway? I remember hearing raves about him while he was in Colorado...it would be silly if somebody doesn't take a chance on him.
    I agree, especially if it's no more than a minor league contract some team would have to tender to Tsao.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett