Thread: Reds trade for former #1 Pick/Problem Child Josh Hamilton

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds trade for former #1 Pick/Problem Child Josh Hamilton

For cash considerations from the Cubs. Hendry loves to prove to be a moron I guess.

Awesome. These are the moves we need to be making, Hamilton has been out of commision for awhile, but he was an amazing athlete. If he's in a better mental state and ready to focus on baseball, we potentially could have a big steal on our hands in a season or two. It'll take him some time given his layoff, but if he's healthy and we're patient... this is a VERY smart move by Wayne K. How sad of an offseason we have had when a former drug addict top prospect who has seen limited action is our sexiest move? Don't get me wrong, I am hyped on this to a large degree, it's just funny to think about.

Let's just hope Josh Hamilton will be the 5th OF'er and not Bubba Crosby.

The biggest story of the draft was the Cubs‘ selection of Josh Hamilton with the #4 pick. Hamilton, a former #1 overall selection, has been plagued by drug and behavioral problems almost since he was drafted, declining from prospect to cautionary tale. I have no idea if today will end up as some turning point in Hamilton’s life, but I do know that the Cubs have made the biggest upside bet in the Rule 5 draft in years.
    Link

Josh Hamilton is the story of the Rule 5, having been selected third overall in the major league phase by the Cubs, then traded to the Reds for cash considerations. Kudos to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays media contingent, who quickly found Hamilton on a cell phone, made their way to a speaker phone in the media room and set up a quick phone interview.

I got there late and didn't catch the whole thing . . . but here are some key passages, as I heard them. Frankly, if this weren't a blog, I would be double-checking these quotes, but it's nothing earth-shattering.

• Hamilton said he was up early to go hunting this morning but had a text message on his phone alerting him that something may be up. He said he wasn't upset or surprised to be made available.

"I hadn't been out there the last three years," said Hamilton, who served two years on a Major League Baseball-imposed drug-related suspension but played briefly at short-season Hudson Valley this season, going 13-for-50. His season there ended early due to a left knee injury, and Hamilton said the knee feels fine, though he said the best indication was when he dragged a deer out of the woods after a successful recent hunt.

"I think (a change of scenery) could help," Hamilton said. "I'll be a little nervous because it's a new group of guys to get to know . . . "

The best tidbit from Hamilton's interview came when he was asked about jumping from A-ball to the major leagues: "I'm not really concerned. Baseball has never been the problem . . . I've been working out, and I can guarantee I will be in the best shape of my life when spring training comes."

Baseball hasn't been the problem; everything else has been. Here's hoping Hamilton takes advantage of his opportunity and finally gives us all a look at his prodigious talent.

--JM
    Link

MLB ERA
    He'll be handed the starting job in right field and go on to post a line of .350/.475/.850.

This is always what he does in sim leagues for me. He is my boy. I love him so.

more likely he sucks and never reaches his potential but becomes a solid fifth outfielder. Oh well.

Good move by Krivsky.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am hoping he's a bit more grownup and going to a new situation with new people will cut out any of the problems or people who used to help get him into trouble. I still think given his potential... we could maybe have a Dunn-Hamilton-Bruce outfield in a few years (I could careless about Stubbs.) A longshot at best.

The Reds have no chance of competiting, they really should just give him the rightfield spot and let him try to develop.

MLB ERA
    He's over all the drug problems, at least. So you know he won't be getting Dunn hooked on crank.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Might be the scariest thing if Dunn walks into the clubhouse tripping and starts wielding a bat out of hysteria. He might actually hit something at that point.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    I like this move, but I'm still waiting on Castellini's burning desire to win going into action.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    boy if Hamilton can reach his potential we sure do have another Brandon Phillips story on our hands, this could make or break Wayne's offseason but i could see him being a top player to battle for one of the outfield spots.

MLB ERA
    While it's great that Hamilton has gotten his life together, he's in his mid-20s and spent the last 4 years as a drug addict. He has no future in major league baseball.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So does anyone have anything on this guy? Stats? RH or LH? COF or CF? I hear his tools were comparable to Griffey's when he was drafted in '99. But that is all the info I have on him besides being a drug addict.

I love the signing as you guys do as this did not cost us anything and we have a potential good player coming in. Just from the talks of his potential and am much more hyped about him than I am Crosby. But man, we have a lot of backup outfielders to spell. Freel or Deno are likely gone IMO. Hamilton, being a Rule V draftee would have to be on the 25-man, right?

Perhaps this is great and it could lead to more. Deno to the Marlins? Either way, this is a good move. I will take this and the possible Griffey move to a COF spot and be happy with the offseason so far.

But, from how adament Castelinni and Krivsky were before the meetings about how they were going to have the money to make a difference to this team, I simply am waiting for something bigger to happen.

Good signing, lets do some more though...

MLB ERA
    Bats lefty, throws lefty, primarily plays centerfield but I believe they had him at the corners when he returned last year.

Minor league statS: http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Hamilton.shtml

AA ERA
    i like this move alot actually. i mean all rule V players are meant to be a risk. he said he was clean now after rehab or whatever i think he can be a pretty good hitter for our team. i wouldnt be shocked if he played everyday for us soon. he is still only 25 years of age