Thread: Reds ask Griffey's agent if he is willing to move to right field

MLB ERA

Reds ask Griffey's agent if he is willing to move to right field

Ho.
    ly.

Who was the guy who was ballsy enough to ask Goldberg, "Hey, this guy sucks in center, will he play right?"

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...e-to-right.asp

Now, if he agrees, the Reds can give up Homer Bailey to the Nationals for Nook Logan to play center and I can rejoice!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Ahh, beat me to it man!

here is what rotoworld has to say:

The Reds have approached Griffey's agent, Brian Goldberg, and asked Griffey to at least consider the possibility of a move to right field.

"They just talked to us about being open-minded in spring training, kind of see how he’s moving and see how he feels," said Goldberg. "He’s preparing to play center field, but based on how things go in spring training, he’ll be open-minded." Ryan Freel and Chris Denorfia are both better choices to play center than Griffey, but a switch is unlikely unless the Reds somehow bring in an experienced center fielder. The Reds aren't likely to embarrass Griffey by asking him to move for anything less than a name player.
    I think this is a huge step in the right direction. This may be the biggest thing that comesout of the meetings. I also like Griffey's approach on it a little more than most would. Yeah, he may be thinking too highly of himslef and is acting like a spoiled brat, but at least he may convince Krivsky to get another bat to help this team out. Worst case scenario, Freel plays CF and I have no problem with that at all.

MLB ERA
    This move could help extend his career a bit. RF may not be as taxing on his body as CF has been. He certainly has the arm for it and can still run well enough to cover the ground.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Not only could it extend his career, but it also would make our CF defense automatically better.

Denorfia is a great defensive CF.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Griffey still showed talent last season, it was just very inconsistent. As we know, Jr. is a player who is affected by his emotions (causing him to lose patience, or tweaking his swing in a slump for more of an uppercut to it), with his parents illness and possibly him finally realizing that he no longer has the range to capably cover center... I have to think a move to a spot where he would at least be serviceable would do him a world of good. There is a lot of pressure on the centerfielder, especially with the role Griffey takes as one, and putting him in a spot where he could just focus on hitting for the most part would be sublime.

AAA ERA
    i will hold any comments I have about Griffey until I see him in the regular season play either RF or CF.. how he responds to this has got me curious.

anyway.. i think we have all been calling for him to move, so if he does it will be a great thing for the organization.