Thread: Reds Sign David Weathers to a two year deal worth $2.5 mil a season

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Sign David Weathers to a two year deal worth $2.5 mil a season

Weathers will remain a Red
    Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

The Cincinnati Reds continued to bolster their bullpen Monday, re-signing free-agent right-hander David Weathers.

FOXSports.com has learned that Weathers will receive a two-year deal worth approximately $5 million, pending results of a physical, which Weathers will take today.

The deal will keep Weathers in Cincinnati, where he has played the last two seasons appearing in 140 games. The contract also includes incentives that will increase the value of the deal if Weathers ends up closing games.

Interest in Weathers had been high and the reliever turned down three-year deals from a pair of teams to remain a Red.

Earlier this off-season, the Reds had given a two-year deal to left-hander Mike Stanton, who spent the 2006 season with the Nationals and Cubs.
    Link

For 2.5 mil a season, that's a very solid deal. Our bullpen isn't getting any sexier or younger this offseason, but it beats overpaying for Weathers or losing out on our type A pick if he signed elsewhere.

This deal is pending the physical as the article mentions.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Not bad at all, I am glad this is out the way though. I knew Krivsky was hard pressed to get him. Does this now solidify the bullpen? Closer by commitee now?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    David Weathers, who will be back with Cincinnati on a two-year, $5 million contract, said he took less from the Reds because he wanted a chance to close.
    "The last two years of my career I want to be someplace with a chance to (be a closer)," he said. "That the convenience of being close to home outweighed the money. I left some money on the table." There are some incentives in the contract based on games finished. Unless the Reds keep adding to the their pen, Weathers will enter spring training as the favorite for saves. Mike Stanton will also likely get some opportunities.
    Sounds like Weathers was tolde will have the opportunity to close. So no more chasing a true closer?

MLB ERA
    Still say they shoulda offered him arb then let him go elsewhere, picked up the first rounder, then added someone like Octavio Dotel or somethin'./

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I agree, but it's better than the worst alternative, so I can live. I really hope we add a live arm to the bullpen to at least be a contender if Weathers is injured or performs poorly.

MLB ERA
    All the arms are being snatched up fast, it seems - Borowski is set to sign with the Indians, Dotel has about 7 teams other than Cincy interested in him, and I can't name another arm on the market.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I read some rumor (can't remember the source) that the Reds might be one of the teams potentially interested in Farnsworth and who knows how serious that is, but yeah, I am thinking the Reds are pretty much set with their bullpen now unless they luck into Dotel (which seems doubtful as they are a team who rarely does the incentive laden deal.)

MLB ERA
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AAA ERA
    christ.. i really need to find a new team to cheer for.. 2 years for that hot garabage