Thread: Reds Notes: Jimenez and Kearns both frustrated over not being in lineup

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Jimenez and Kearns both frustrated over not being in lineup

Sitting doesn't sit well with Kearns, Jimenez

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | When the Cincinnati Reds lineup was posted Sunday, two players expected to see their names on the card.

Two players were disappointed and two players expressed their displeasure.

Outfielder Austin Kearns and second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez figured their contributions to Saturday's 11-3 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers earned them passes into Monday's lineup.

They figured incorrectly.

Jimenez pinch-hit in the sixth inning Saturday and singled, stayed in the game, and hit safely in the seventh and eighth — three hits, three runs scored.

"Yeah, I expected to play," Jimenez said. "I guess three hits doesn't mean that much. They know what they want to do. I just have to be prepared, just be prepared."

Kearns was more vociferous after he hit a two-run homer Saturday to break open the game.

"I've never asked why I'm not playing, but I think I will today," he said. "There are a lot of things I don't understand. Am I disappointed? Yes. That's just the truth. Bothered might be a better word."

Kearns did visit manager Dave Miley and while Miley wouldn't discuss the tone of the meeting, it is assumed a .220 batting average was emphasized. When told that what Kearns said will be in the newspaper, Miley said, "Then I'll talk to him again."

Kearns is concerned because he thought he was in competition with Wily Mo Pena for playing time, but Pena is hurt and Kearns still isn't playing every day.

"It's tougher when you are used to playing every day and you are used to being out there every day," he said. "It is tough to go back and forth. Two nights ago I hit the ball good two times and caught a good one yesterday (Saturday's homer).

"To maintain your swing, you have to play. You can't do it in batting practice," he added. "You can take all the batting practice in the world and it doesn't get you ready for live pitching. When you're swinging good, you'd like to be in there to keep it going."

On the basepaths

Relief pitcher Ryan Wagner made his first career major-league at-bat Saturday. He was asked to bunt ... and he bunted.

"It wasn't pretty, but I did the job," he said.

Wagner reached base on a throwing error on the bunt, moved to third on D'Angelo Jimenez's double and scored his first major-league run on Ryan Freel's single.

Wagner took a big turn at third on Jimenez's double and manager Dave Miley said, "I thought (third-base coach) Mark Berry was going to have to tackle him."

Said Wagner, "Hey, I can run. I made the turn because you never know. I'm not sure about that bunting stuff, though.

"Running the bases is fun," he said. "You get to turn into a real baseball player. We all ran bases in high school, so the instincts take over."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    .220 AVG for Kearns is no excuse Miley! I guess Aurilia's .216 is better? Or is Jiminez's a better .220 than Kearns?

Screw that! Now Miley has a personal vendetta against Kearns too. Miley should be fired right away! He will have to talk to Kearns about going to the media? What the hell do you expect retard? Damn I am pissed!

And why hasn't Pena started it seems in a long time?

AAA ERA
    yes, last year i really liked Miley, I thought was a good fit for the team, but i guess when you have a group of overachievers like last years team, anyone can manage, Dave Miley is the worst Manager in baseball, I have been upset with DJ this year, but he is swinging a hot bat right now... Kearns had a slow start and just as he picks it up, you sit him out... WTF does a guy have to do for a job with the reds, i should have known how the season was going to go when they sent Rob Stratton down in ST and let bobby estella go, reguardless of what they were doing for the team.

guys like Rich Aurillia, getting constant chances.. i figure Aurillia must either have some incriminating evidence or something to be in the linup everyday

MLB ERA
    DJ's been struggling while both Freel and Lopez have been hot that I can understand the benching. BUT then theres Kearns and Pena, either at 60% percent is better than Rich "Washed up" Aurilia with the bat and eithe Freel or Lopez, heck even DJ would be better ranged at SS.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Playing time should be allotted to players who might actually be on the next good Reds team.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Playing time should be allotted to players who might actually be on the next good Reds team.

In other words:

NO RICH AURILIA!

YES TO KEARNS/PENA
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.