Thread: Peter Gammons reports Reds sign LHRP Mike Stanton

MLB ERA

Peter Gammons reports Reds sign LHRP Mike Stanton

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2668306

Two year deal, third year option. I need to see some financial details before I judge the deal but I'm betting it's not so good.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This team's getting older by the day.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I still haven't seen how much the contract is, but I think Stanton can help. Question? Is this a sign of the Reds not getting a bonafide closer at all this offseason? Will Stanton be our guy?

If so, I would hope they give Bray and Lohse a shot at it in ST. I believe both of these guys have the stuff, now they have to prove they have the makeup.

I think this signing means Mercker is definitely done, Weathers may not be back and Schoenweis is likely gone as well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per Marc Lancaster:

You've seen the national reports on both Alex Gonzalez and Mike Stanton by now. It's my understanding that the signings will become official tomorrow, barring some snafu with physicals.

It's funny, Wayne Krivsky told me for a story in yesterday's Post that he wasn't inclined to rush into anything -- but here the Reds are with two major moves before Thanksgiving. Frankly, I think that's the smart thing to do. There's so much money out there this year that you'd better lock up the guys you've targeted as quickly as you can.

Obviously these moves aren't in the same stratosphere as the Cubs' reported mega-deal with Alfonso Soriano, but the Reds are a lot more than one player away from winning. Gotta start somewhere, and these two free agents are nowhere near the end of the dealing we'll see from Krivsky this winter.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per MLB Trade Rumors:

Yesterday I said nice things about the Reds signing of Alex Gonzalez. Today I can't be so kind to Wayne Krivsky. Apparently he's about to sign Mike Stanton to a two-year deal with a vesting option for a third. Stanton turns 40 in June. He had a nice run in San Francisco last year, but let's face it: the guy hasn't put up a good full season for two years. Sure, he might be worth more than the $1M he got for last year, but a vesting option for 2009? I guess that if you're worried David Weathers won't come back, there's only one choice: get older.
    He said nice things about the Gonzalez signing? When did he do that? I read something totally different. Anyhow, we'll have to wait and see how this one turns out. I can't disagree with him on either of the deals.

I was kind of going into this offseason expecting much of this. Krivsky signing guys who most fans would underappreciate. Then they come out like winners during the season. I just hope these last two signings turn out that way. And I also hope he does have a lot more money to spend and a lot more coming. Think Impact!

MLB ERA
    I have to disagree with Lancaster calling these major moves - these should by no means be major moves for a team that already had a similar player to Gonzalez at short (in Castro) and that already had several lefty options in the bullpen and several other closer options.

I think they are important moves but definitely not major - that'd be more along the lines of signing a definite #3 starter or snatching up JD Drew to be their everyday right fielder.

MLB ERA
    I just don't get the obsession the organization has with vets.

We still need a more impact reliever, starter and bat at the very least.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I fully agree with you guys here. When I read Lancaster's comments, I thought the same thing. "Major" is just not the appropriate word here. And I hope he is not echoing the words of the front office. If they see these as major moves, we are in danger of not seeing anything better.

Bad choice of words? Or does he really think these are as big a deal as he has made them out to be?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Stanton did a fantastic job last year for the Giants. He was a good setup guy and filled in nicely when Benitez went down.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks for the info LTR. Seriously makes me feel better about the signing. I love hearing good things about players I simply do not know a whole lot about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per rotoworld:

Mike Stanton will earn $5.5 million over the next two years under the terms of his deal with the Reds.

Stanton gets salaries of $2 million next year and $3 million in 2008. There's a $2.5 million club option for 2009 that can be bought out for $500,000. If he appears in 140 games over the next two seasons, the option-year salary vests at $2.75 million.