Thread: Krivsky talks offseason: well sort of

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Krivsky talks offseason: well sort of

Wayne Krivsky returned from the general managers' meetings empty-handed, but he did plenty of browsing.
    "I've kicked tires all over the place," Krivsky said Friday. "I've got a sore toe."
    Since the Reds insist upon playing everything as close to the vest as possible, no specifics were forthcoming about any discussions Krivsky might have had over four days in Naples, Fla. The most prominent Reds-related rumor that surfaced was a possible Cincinnati offer of three years and $15 million to free-agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez, which was first reported by the Boston Globe.
    As usual, Krivsky wasn't touching that item or any other conjecture that might be floating around.
    "When we've got something to announce, we'll announce it," he said.
    Bringing in Gonzalez would significantly bolster the Reds' infield defense, a top priority of Krivsky's and manager Jerry Narron's this winter. Of course, they couldn't expect too much offensive production out of the 29-year-old, a .246 hitter in nine big-league seasons. Gonzalez's agent, Eric Goldschmidt, didn't return a phone message Friday.
    Whether or not Gonzalez is the answer, the Reds will have to find a starting shortstop or second baseman to play alongside Brandon Phillips. It appears increasingly unlikely that Rich Aurilia will be the answer there. The Denver Post reported Friday that Aurilia could reach a multi-year deal with the Giants or Yankees as early as this weekend.
    Krivsky didn't have much to say about the Reds' talks with Aurilia.
    "We'll have to wait and see," he said. "Stay tuned."
    The same sentiment applies to right-hander David Weathers. Krivsky said the Reds have had discussions with his representatives, but wouldn't elaborate. Weathers reportedly has drawn some interest from the Dodgers and Phillies.
    All indications are left-hander Scott Schoeneweis will not return to Cincinnati - the Tigers and Red Sox reportedly have made inquiries - and that just about covers it when it comes to the Reds' own free agents. They may still make offers to injured left-handers Eddie Guardado and Kent Mercker, but neither will be ready to begin the season.
    Shoring up the bullpen will be a focus for Krivsky throughout the winter, as the Reds remain in need of a closer and at least one or two experienced setup men. The group of pitchers with time as closers on the free-agent market isn't terribly attractive, with the likes of Joe Borowski, Dan Kolb, Keith Foulke and Danys Baez among the options. The most sought-after closing candidate may be former Blue Jays right-hander Justin Speier, a 33-year-old who hasn't collected a save since 2004.
    It isn't the ideal situation for a team in need that lacks a strong internal candidate, but the Reds may have no choice but to dive in.
    "It just depends on who's available and at what cost and that type of thing," Krivsky said. "I'm not too worried about it. We'll just get the best guys we can and let Jerry manage it in spring training. It's yet to be determined. Maybe something evolves that doesn't meet the eye right now. It's something that will take care of itself in spring training or between now and then, one way or the other."
    As for other areas of need, Krivsky said the Reds may look at adding another starting pitcher and definitely are looking for help on the bench. The bottom line is, the roster as it stands right now could be blown up completely by the time pitchers and catchers report to Sarasota in mid-February.
    Though Krivsky said he believes the Reds will have the financial resources to be competitive in a free-agent market destined to spiral out of control, remaking the team through trades seems just as likely.
    The GM meetings were the first significant step in feeling out the wants and needs of other teams, and the process will continue through baseball's winter meetings, which run Dec. 4-7 in Orlando. It's only just begun, and Krivsky said he doesn't feel compelled to leap into the fray immediately.
    "I'm not interested in doing things quickly just to say I did something," he said. "I'm more interested in doing things that are well thought-out and make sense for the team and are responsible and will result in more wins next year.
    "The more that you're able to accomplish between now and the winter meetings, it gives you a better sense of where you are and you can go from there. But we've got all the way 'til spring training or April, if you get right down to it. It's awfully early."
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....80388/1035/SPT

I love Marc Lancaster. At least he gets him to talk a little bit. So what do you guys think about Krivsky's words here? He is speaking metaphorically nor is he dropping any kind of hints. But he did address the needs once more. And most importantaly he told Lancaster that he believes RCast will back him finacially even though FA is crazyily boosted again this year. Maybe we will get a big name and Krivsky is just shutting his mouth and is not letting anyone in on his little secrets?

I am also very glad to see that he is concentrating on bench help. Sounds like it is high on his priority list. So Crosby may not be on the active roster afterall. As long as Krivsky can sign someone better, we may have a stick or two to come off the bench and replace Gonzalez as a pinch hitter late in the game. Or does this mean we may be trading Freel and we would need more bench help because his absence would create a huge hole?

Just some thoughts...

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....80388/1035/SPT

I love Marc Lancaster. At least he gets him to talk a little bit. So what do you guys think about Krivsky's words here? He is speaking metaphorically nor is he dropping any kind of hints. But he did address the needs once more. And most importantaly he told Lancaster that he believes RCast will back him finacially even though FA is crazyily boosted again this year. Maybe we will get a big name and Krivsky is just shutting his mouth and is not letting anyone in on his little secrets?

I am also very glad to see that he is concentrating on bench help. Sounds like it is high on his priority list. So Crosby may not be on the active roster afterall. As long as Krivsky can sign someone better, we may have a stick or two to come off the bench and replace Gonzalez as a pinch hitter late in the game. Or does this mean we may be trading Freel and we would need more bench help because his absence would create a huge hole?

Just some thoughts...
    Like I said when we signed him. He is this years Alex Sanchez, if we have absolutely horrible luck and Freel, Dunn, Griffey, and Deno get hurt on the same day we then have a need for Crosby. If that doesnt he will sit at AAA.

Its good he wants to work on the bench, maybe we get inovolved with Schmidt or someone top of the line? You know my feeling on Tier A compared to Tier B-C. Maybe Krivsky's idea on helping the bench is fulfilling every Reds fan dream and bringing back Dmitri Young and Pokey Reese . J/k.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Dunn for Mike Timlin and Edgar Martinez. Do it now, shore up that pen!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Dunn for Mike Timlin and Edgar Martinez. Do it now, shore up that pen!
    He would have done this at the deadline if he really wanted.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes