Thread: Krivsky checking on the Weather

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Krivsky checking on the Weather

per rotoworld:

The Reds have had conversations with the agent for David Weathers, but GM Wayne Krivsky wouldn't elaborate further.

The Phillies and Dodgers are believed to be interested in the 37-year-old Weathers, who is likely to command a two-year deal despite his age.
    I would want to get him back for sure, but it would have to be for a one year deal. Anything more would be ridiculous.

AAA ERA
    i don't want him back, didn't want him back last year, don't want him back this year

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If we got Stanton, then why do we need Weathers?
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Looks like the Giants are getting serious about him:

Furthermore, sources said, the Giants are engaged in serious talks with infielder Mark Loretta and well-traveled right-hander David Weathers, who has 41 saves since 1999 and could serve as manager Bruce Bochy's setup man while providing insurance for the ninth inning if Armando Benitez cannot return to form.
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg.../25/GIANTS.TMP

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per Marc's Blog:

Spoke with Dan Horwits, the agent for David Weathers, earlier today. He said the Reds remain very much in the picture for the reliever.

"He definitely has an interest in remaining in Cincinnati," said Horwits. "Obviously, financially is what we’re trying to work through and see if it works for both sides, as well as seeing the other interest in him."

Horwits said multiple teams, including the Giants and Phillies, have expressed serious interest, and all of the offers on the table are of the multiyear variety. Sounds like something could get done before the winter meetings, but there's no guarantee.

"I hope it could be this week, but we’ll just kind of see how it plays itself out," said Horwits. "I really don’t have any timetable set, but sooner is OK."

Incidentally, Horwits also represents two of the former closers on the market, Octavio Dotel and Keith Foulke, but he said the Reds have not asked about either of them.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per rotoworld:

The Reds have an offer on table to free agent David Weathers, though it's probably not one that will get him signed.

"But I'd say it's less than 50 percent," Weathers said about the chances of a return to Cincinnati. "Negotiations went really slow and played a role. But we're still talking. It more about where I fit in the structure there." Weathers may have miltiyear offers on the table from the Giants and Phillies. That the Reds didn't offer him arbitration said a lot about how they see him.
    Seems to me like this has been Krivsky's biggest goal of late, and he isn't getting it done. I heard the Redsfest show on WLW and he even mentioned that he hopes to get Weathers back. It is real strange to hear Krivsky speak of anything he wants until the deal is already done.

I say, just let him sign with the Giants and lets move on to bigger things.

MLB ERA
    If they had offered Weathers arbitration like a sane person would do, giving himself the opportunity to get a pick for him, then letting him sign elsewhere and moving on would work out perfectly.

Don't think re-signing him makes much sense but eh. Not much does with Krivsky and Narron.