Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds and Alex Gonzalez agree to 3 year 14 mil deal

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Here's million dollar question, would you rather overpay in terms of talent for Marcus Giles and possibly risk losing him to free agency in a season or overpay in terms of cash for an extremely limited offensive player such as Alex Gonzalez?

Marcus Giles isn't exactly a world beater either. Better than Alex Gonzalez for sure, but he was disappointing last year
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I know, but the potential for a better 2007 campaign is there.

True, Marcus does has a chance to get a crocodile in hitting.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    In GABP, Giles would be better than last year. Heck even Gonzalez would be better at the plate in this hitter friendly park. I think I would rather have Giles though. I still believe he is one of the best 2B in the game and he brings a lot to the table. At least a lot more than Gonzalez. The only thing that has me worried about Giles are the many steroid speculations surrounding him and that he may have lost what he once had due to his possible decisions to get off them because of all the hype around the controversy.

As you all know, I don't appreciate a cheating player. And this could very well be a possibility. And if it were the case, we may be getting a player that used to be good if we were to trade for him. The other thing is just that, we would have to trade for Giles. Whereas, we could simply sign Gonzalez.

I have expressed my dislike toward Gonzalez throughout this thread. But I don't mind the money at all. I think Castelinni has opened up his wallet to build a winner and I don't see him withdrawing from this thinking for a long while. I don't think $15 million would hurt them. But 3 years would be the difficult task to withstand. Do we want zero offense from the SS position for the next 3 years? I would take it if we could build some sticks around him. So, I guess the whole Gonzalez possibilitycannot be judged fully until we see what else Krivsky does or at least what he is trying to do.

To me, signing Gonzalez would have to equal a definite keeping of Adam Dunn.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Ken Williams (White Sox GM) on Gonzalez rumor:

The Sox match up well with Texas, which has a surplus of young pitchers and 34-year-old reliever Akinori Otsuka, but Williams stressed he won't make a trade for the sake of making a deal. He went on to deny firmly a published report that said the Sox could be close to signing free-agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez.

"I haven't talked to the agent or the player," Williams said. "Don't get me wrong. Gonzalez is a heck of a player. We have a shortstop (Juan Uribe), and he's a good one."
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....home-headlines

again, looking more and more like the Reds stand alone as the team that has offered Gonzalez the 3 year $15 million deal.

MLB ERA
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2667193

Gammons reports A-Gon is going to be signed pending a physical, for 3/14. Time for the offense to be heinous again. Moving Phillips to short, signing Belliard > this.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Isn't it amazing how we went from being a hugely potent offense to one that might be lucky to score 625 runs next season? The only way this move will be acceptable is by keeping Dunn and signing a legit run producer in the outfield.

MLB ERA
    There better be offense coming in another form. I'm waiting for an impact bat in addition to the starting pitching we obviously need (one or two starters) along with a couple bullpeners.

I just hope spending almost $5 mil. this year on Gonzalez won't prevent us from having the FA money needed to sign a FA pitcher we would otherwise be able to sign if we hadn't spent the $ 5 mil. on Gonzalez.

I like his defensive metrics overall, but obviously his offense leaves a lot to be desired. Let's see if his little bit of pop translates well to GABP. Hopefully it does. At least he SLG's a little bit, but he better not bat in the No. 2 hole one time, though we know he probably will with Narron running things. For him to provide a potential positive Run Differential, he must bat 8th and only 8th.

That's the big problem with signing guys that hit like he does: Jerry Narron.

I expect bigger and better moves to be on the horizon.

I'm going to try to investigate on some potential additional moves coming soon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    His home/away splits did favor the hitter friendly park he was in, so that does give a bit of hope. But again, the biggest problem is what you mentioned is how Narron will use him in the lineup.

MLB ERA
    I do have a bit of hope in that he can SLG a little bit. He has some pop. Maybe he will be a mild version of Dave Ross this past year or something? Still, there are no signs pointing toward an OBP increase, because he has hovered around that .300 mark for a while.

Someone has to get it through Narron's head that this guy is NOT a two-hitter, but the problem is, Jerry probably thinks he is a "smart" hitter or something like that and should bat second.

I hope Krivsky understands that we still need an IMPACT bat now, a starting pitcher and a couple of relievers, whether they be through FA, trades or both. I hope that report of the Reds having up to $25 mil. for FA is true, because they could use another $20 mil. just by signing a pretty good starter and the relievers.

Our biggest focus is still pitching, but Krivsky can't completely forget that it doesn't matter how good the pitching/defense becomse if you are lucky to scratch out 3 or 4 Runs in a game all of the time.

I'm starting to wonder whether the team is COUNTING on Bailey to start in the rotation or join in shortly into the season. They simply don't seem to be focusing on starters enough. I hope they know what they're doing.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well I will give this signing a decent rating. I am with you guys, we better hope Dunn stays on the roster and somehow Krivsky picks up a huge bat for the RF opening.

I believe Krivsky is focusing on SP and RP because he just told Lancaster that they were ourbiggest needs along with bench help. This signing opens up many questions and I hope they will be answered soon.

I loathe the Narron extension even more now...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Krivsky still keeps his mouth shut:

per Marc Lancaster's Blog:

Peter Gammons is reporting that the Reds have agreed to a three-year, $14 million deal with shortstop Alex Gonzalez.

UPDATE (4:30 p.m.): Just talked to Wayne Krivsky, who's watching Michigan-Ohio State like everyone else on the planet, and he said he hadn't heard the Gammons report.

"There's nothing to announce," said Krivsky.

Probably not until Monday, no, but it would surprise no one if something came down the pipe then.

Assuming it happens, I like the move. The defense needed to be addressed in a big way, and the Reds' middle infielders will be pretty darn good with the glove next year. They just have to find some offensive production elsewhere (and hope Phillips can keep it up at the plate). With the players available, they weren't going to get much on the market from one of the infield slots -- Julio Lugo's about the only impact guy and no way was he coming here.
    So it isn't a SURE thing yet. But it is 99% I would say. No way Gammons says someone is waiting physicals and the contract has been agreed on if it were not true.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Here is what rotoworld has to say:

According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, the Reds and Alex Gonzalez have agreed to terms on a three-year, $14 million contract, pending a physical.

It's not a bad deal -- he'll be making $6 million less than Jack Wilson over the next three years -- but we're still not thrilled with the way Wayne Krivsky is doing business in Cincinnati. If given the opportunity, Brandon Phillips likely would have been a fine defensive shortstop, and the Reds could have used this money to bring in an all-around second baseman like Adam Kennedy or Ronnie Belliard. Instead, the Reds are downgrading the offense one more time.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    MLB Trade Rumors chimes in with their own bust on Krivsky:

Depending on what you think of A-Gon's defense, that might be a good deal. Gonzalez doesn't get a love of love from traditional statheads since his career OBP is a mere .292, but the bar is pretty low for shortstops.
    He'll be 30 next year, so there's no reason to expect a major fall-off; Baseball Prospectus has his wins above replacement (WARP) at 3.2, 3.5, and 2.7 in the last three years. If you figure he's good for 3 wins, that's less than $2M per win--a great, great deal in this market. That's based on BP's fielding metrics, which have Alex as below average with the glove. If you believe, as the Reds seem to, that he's above average, it's even better still.
    Then again, it's not quite as good a deal as Felipe Lopez will be for the Nationals in arbitration. Felipe made $2.7M last year and will get a sizable raise, but he's been worth over 5 wins each of the last two years. I'm sure Gary Majewski will be worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast