Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Stat sticklers favor Wagner as closer

Stat sticklers favor Wagner as closer
    Graves' numbers declining from previous seasons

Analysis by John Erardi
    Enquirer staff writer

After the Reds blew a six-run ninth-inning lead Monday night against the St. Louis Cardinals, I was curious how closer Danny Graves' numbers this year compared to years past.

I wondered what the stats would say about Graves, heir apparent Ryan Wagner and young relievers in general used as closers.

So, I consulted numbers guru Greg Gajus. He and his stat-crunching brethren are not impressed with Graves having converted eight of nine save opportunities this year. They say a meltdown like Monday's was inevitable given Graves' other numbers.

Gajus admitted that the sample size for this year is small, but that Graves' stats indicate a significant dropoff from years past.

The numbers gurus believe the time is right for a flip-flop of roles for Graves and Wagner. (Of course, Reds brass would have to get past the sticker shock of having a $6 million setup man.) Immediately after the Reds' Monday night meltdown, here is what the numbers showed:
    Click here for the comparison

MLB ERA
    Most knew the Graves Collapse was coming.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Nicely done. Hopefully Miley and DanO sees this soon. But I bet they already know that the numbers are something close to this. It is obvious that Wagner is far better than Graves. So, in that retrospect, I think Graves will continue to be the closer because they have commited to it. Once Graves blows about 3 saves in a row, it might then become a question to Miley. But even then, we may hear that Miley is still expecting Graves to some how come out of it.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Really, unless Graves just bombs like 7 or 8 saves in a row, I can't see them stopping him from closing. I think this for two reasons:

They want to get their moneys worth of his salary (or in this case, try to.)
    And they are hoping he will be a commodity (at least somewhat of one) at the deadline since I doubt they will resign him.

They say in that article in the paper that the reds dont want to make Graves a set up man because of his contract. The way that i see that is that it would be better to have a 6 million dollar setup man than a 6 million dollar closer that blows alot of there chances.