Thread: Reds eye Luis Gonzalez

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds eye Luis Gonzalez

Whenever the GM and agent talk, another name is expected to come up: Luis Gonzalez.
    The veteran outfielder, who will turn 40 next September, is also represented by Clifton and apparently caught Cardinals fever while broadcasting playoff games last month. Clifton said nine teams have contacted him about Gonzalez, who finished second in the NL with a career-high 52 doubles this season. Cleveland, Baltimore, Texas, Cincinnati and San Francisco are five of the nine.
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...2?OpenDocument

I have to throw it out there. If they are "interested" in Gonzo, who are they interested in replacing him with?

Anyhow, dude isn't hitting bombs anymore and is simply not the presence Krivsky should be wasting his time with. I knew this offseason was going to have the Reds rumored to have interest in a few names that don't fit the bill. I hope that is all this is.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Gonzo is gonezo. His fielding has been down, his arm is gone and obviously his power "mysteriously" disappeared. I would imagine we're looking for someone to play rightfield instead of Deno/Freel, and if that's the case I am hoping we pursue David Dellucci. Better yet though, I would love to take a chance on Jose Guillen bouncing back after having a down season with that injury. He obviously could mash in GAB, would give us a cannon back in right and would be someone who could really help out this offense if he finds his stroke. Take a risk on him at a lower contract and divert our bigger funds elsewhere, it could be a gamble that would pay off.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh and obviously I would love to snag Craig Wilson, maybe more so than Guillen. But I am thinking Guillen could come even cheaper with his baggage and performance last season, not to mention he's actually a RF unlike Wilson.

MLB ERA
    Gonzalez is a smoke screen, if that. I can't see him coming here. We already have 1 OF who can't cover like he use to, and another who tends to like to make an adventure out of a routine play.

Plus I'm sure Guillen remembers the Reds actually gave him a chance to do something. I want Guillen more so than Wilson because I see Wilson I see another Dunn type OF, which wouldnt improve defense anywhere and can only play 1b and Corner OF. Guillen has the athletic ability (when healthy) that he can play RF, CF, or LF and thats the type of flexibility we need right now with the ?? around Dunn and Junior. Plus he came into his own in Cincinnati at Riverfront hed be able to take full advantage of GAB. Plus Wilson will have the name recognition to drive up the price on all suitors.

Whoops I was mistaken about Wilson. Wilson is too a RHH, but he has never played a full season and hit over .270. Guillen would be the likely candidate to hit for better average and Guillen has a better eye than Wilson (over the course of their past 3-4 yrs).
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Looking at Guillen's splits for 2004, with Cincy, I am changing my vote. It's been awhile and obviously I remembered how great he was, but not .629 SLG% great. I've just always had a thing for wanting to get Wilson I guess. But Guillen on the bounceback would work best for us.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per MLB trade rumors:

Luis Gonzalez is "leaning heavily towards signing a one-year deal with the Cardinals shortly after the market opens" (scroll to the bottom).
    If true, the Cardinals' outfield would be set: Gonzalez in left, Jim Edmonds in center, and Juan Encarnacion in right. Chris Duncan could be expendable, and the only other chance to improve the offense would be second base.
    Great news!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It could be... but if Gonzo was our first choice, do we really want to see the back-up plan?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    We probably already signed the backup plan. Hence Bubba Crosby.

Nah, I hope that isnt true though. I think Krivsky is still going after a legitimate RF.