Thread: Ask Hal: Who should be playing Second Base?

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Who should be playing Second Base?

Ask Hal: Who should be on second?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

QUESTION If you were Dave Miley and had to make a choice between D'Angelo Jimenez and Ryan Freel at second base at this stage in the season, which would you make the starter? — Tim, Singapore

ANSWER First of all, Tim, my wife loves your Singapore Slings. That's an easy one, another question asked often this week. You won because your e-mail traveled the farthest. I probably see the same thing here that you see on the other side of the Earth. Freel, Freel, Freel. Did I mention Freel? He has Jimenez beaten in any category you can mention, including the way he wears his hat.

Q You've got me worried. The Reds really stink, but when you write of braided armpit hair, I think you're so sick of baseball you're beginning to watch the NBA playoffs. — The Other Hal, Dayton

A Doesn't braided armpit hair remind you of the Reds these days? The NBA. What's that, the National Ballet Association? I'd rather watch a dog hike his leg on a fire hydrant than watch the NBA without Michael Jordan, Larry Bird or Magic Johnson.

Q Losing seven straight is why only 49,000 showed up for the Reds-Cardinals three-game series. If you pretend to play major-league baseball, we will pretend to show up. — Ron, Washington, D.C.

A I suspect some of those 49,000 came disguised as empty seats. But when they booed, they sounded like a full house at Yankee Stadium. If this keeps up, I'm going to tell my boss that I'll pretend to write a game story.

Q I like Jack McKeon's theory of lots of contact hitters and great pitching. Get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in. — Jerry, Dayton

A Before you can get 'em over and get 'em in, you have to get 'em on. I like contact hitters much better than pitching to contact, known in Cincinnati right now as hitting the bats and watching the ball fly. McKeon, by the way, is doing right well in Florida with a great pitching staff that is able to see home plate despite the cigar smoke.

Q Does Don Gullett need to take the ax for the pitching staff? Everyone says that he's the best in the business. He also has presided over some of the worst pitching staffs in the history of major-league baseball the last few years and he is working on another gem this year. — Greg, Chapel Hill, N.C.

A If you mean taking the ax, as in fired, no. If you mean taking the ax to some of those arms on the staff, yes. Gullett is right up there with Atlanta's Leo Mazzone in knowledge and expertise. But you can't make Cy Young out of Cy Old and Cy Done and Cy Bad. The minor-league system has produced nothing and there is no money to buy top-shelf products. Gullett can only show them and tell them. He can't do it for them. If he hadn't ruined his rotator cuff at a young age, he might still be the best on the staff.

Q I would have expected Dave Miley to light a fuse by now by throwing a base or two or kicking dirt on home plate, like Sweet Lou. And he avoids Marty Brennaman's hardball questions. I get the impression he is a deer caught in headlights not knowing what to do. I would prefer Pete Rose, Lou Piniella, Dave Johnson and, certainly, Jack McKeon. — Rick, Brookville

A Mr. Rose has some problems we all know about and he never finished higher than second with good teams. Piniella is busy in Tampa Bay with more problems than Miley's. Johnson is busy coaching the Netherlands Olympic team and Jack is rather happy with his situation. And it isn't Miley caught in headlights, it is his team. As for throwing bases and kicking dirt, that's not his personality. Ever see Joe Torre or do that? OK, so Bobby Cox does do it. You got me there.

Q Am I crazy or do the Reds trade Sean Casey to some sucker MLB club before they realize he stinks with a baseball mitt on his hand? Can they get a No. 2 or No. 3 starter and ask Ken Griffey Jr. to pick up the first baseman's glove? — Brian, San Diego

A I haven't checked with your psychiatrist so I don't know about your sanity, but I have to question it. Yes, Casey had an off night last Monday digging balls out of the dirt. Is it too much to ask the infielders to throw it a little higher? Probably is. Casey is an excellent defensive first baseman, but you probably can't see it way out there in San Diego. And why would you trade a yearly .300 contact hitter and a team leader? I have a whole bunch of other trade suspects.

Q Will this sorry excuse for a baseball team lose 100 games this year? — Parsin, Dayton

A Aren't you the fellow who was fitting them with World Series rings after they swept the Mets to open the season? Just as three games do not a season make, nor do 30 games a season make. They have to lose a lot more to lose 100 and they do have a lot of games left with Pittsburgh and Milwaukee. Whoops. Well, Pittsburgh.

Q On Monday, Ken Griffey Jr. hit a double off the yellow line on top of the wall. The umpires huddled and I could read the lips of the crew chief, "This guy is having trouble hitting home runs so I think we should give it to him." — Dave, Centerville/Beavercreek/Miamisburg

A Actually, the umpires admitted the vote was 2-2, two for home run, two for double. They asked Griffey to be the tiebreaking vote. Actually, they were discussing whether to eat after the game at Maisonette or Montgomery Inn. That vote was also 2-2 and Griffey paid the bill at the Maisonette. For an explanation, see the next question.

Q In light of Ken Griffey's home run in Monday's game, is the yellow line considered a home run or is it part of the fence and in play? — Tim, Dayton

A The umps goofed. It wasn't a home run. It hit the yellow line and bounced back on the field. In Great American Ball Park and most parks, the yellow line just marks the top of the fence so fans and players (and umpires???) can easily see the top of the fence. To be a home run, the ball has to go OVER the fence. Griffey's didn't and should have been in play. Some parks with very high walls, like Minute Maid in Houston, have yellow lines on the walls and if the ball hits ABOVE the yellow line, it is a home run. Confusing? Well, it's major-league baseball, isn't it?

Q Danny Graves jinxed himself in spring training when he had a 0.00 ERA late in camp and said he wanted to give up runs. I have always thought of him as a good closer, but I cringe every time he takes the mound. — Doug, Waynesville

A You won the "Danny Graves comment spot" this week because yours was the only one of about a thousand that didn't have curse words. You're right. I forgot that Graves said he wanted to give up runs late in spring training to get them out of the way. Maybe somebody forgot to tell him spring training is over. OK, I'll say it. If Graves doesn't get 30 saves this year, I'll eat this column. I've already written that I'd eat a column if Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't hit 30 homers, so I guess I'll make it a paper banquet.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    yea they talked to hal before the game today about the second base job, he said he liked freel, he also said that he liked the idea of randa batting second....also mentioned that if the reds continue like the way they were loosing that miley would be the fall guy.

MLB ERA
    I prefer Randa lower in the order.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you mean taking the ax, as in fired, no. If you mean taking the ax to some of those arms on the staff, yes. Gullett is right up there with Atlanta's Leo Mazzone in knowledge and expertise. But you can't make Cy Young out of Cy Old and Cy Done and Cy Bad. The minor-league system has produced nothing and there is no money to buy top-shelf products. Gullett can only show them and tell them. He can't do it for them.

I know some will disagree, but I really don't think the pitching woes are Gullets fault. He has rarely been given talent and his true test will be when Pauly and Gardner are ready. They both have legit stuff and good makeup, I am really looking forward to seeing how he will fare with them. Look at Harang, he has continued to improve since coming over and I don't think it's much of a coincidence. Hudson is another guy (albeit older then prospects) who I am looking forward to seeing if he can refine his control and make him a good MLB pitcher.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have to include Claussen into your list mission. But other than that, I agree that Gullett has not been given too much. But at least right now, he should be able to help Claussen (prospect) and Milton (middle-shelf product) IMO.

But did anyone catch this as something to be concerned about?

"And why would you trade a yearly .300 contact hitter and a team leader? I have a whole bunch of other trade suspects."

Does he know something that good be of substance soon?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Claussen looks like a shell of his former self. The kid has no heat anymore. And there isnt a huge difference in speeds of his pitches. If Claussen was throwing 92 or so, could be a different story for him.

And good eye, maybe Hal has heard grumblings of something?

MLB ERA
    I didn't expect much from Claussen before the season began, so I definitely don't blame Gully for his issues.

Milton has just been bad, which has a lot of do with "pitching to contact", IMO. He has always given up a lot of HR(second most in the league last year), but he is really giving up a lot, even for him. He has produced his lowest strikeout total since his debut year in '98(with the Twins).

I think Gully deserves a bit of blame, but he really hasn't been given much to work with, so I can't blame him too much.

The organizational philosophy is the problem, IMO.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    And the organizational philosophy of "pitch to contact" comes from Dan O, correct? I think if Gully could have his way, he would have guys with superb stuff (like he once had) and youth to be molded and developed. Instead, he has mostly soft tossers that know "how to pitch" more so than actual talent of their pitches. It's one thing knowing what is needed, another thing doing it (Wilson comes to mind with this.)

Gully does deserve blame of course, but I am willing to wait on him and see what happens with our prospects when they reach the bigs.

MLB ERA
    Totally agreed. I'm not ready to dump him yet.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    There still hasn't been a former Red pitcher to go to another team and just light it up. We have to keep Gullett. Gullett has turned a few pitchers careers around in his time. I just wish we gave him more to work with

MLB ERA
    Well, some are impressed with Bruce Chen so far this year, but I'm thinking he won't keep pitching like he has for the O's thus far.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    And Bruce Chen has failed with a lot of teams. Could just be right place right time. Kind of like with Jose Guillen. I don't think it was our coaches that made him realize his talent, we just lucked out that he happened to do it with us.

MLB ERA
    Great point mission.