Thread: Reds Notes: Does Miley finally get that Lopez should be playing?

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Does Miley finally get that Lopez should be playing?

Miley throws heat on Reds' mound, is willing to take heat about losing

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | It was 75 degrees on the floor of Great American Ball Park on Saturday morning, but there was Cincinnati Reds manager Dave Miley pitching batting practice — probably realizing it was cooler out there than the hot spot he is sitting on these days.

"I pitched batting practice one other time this year," he said. "It was in St. Louis and we scored runs that day and won, so even though I won't be able to comb my hair tomorrow, I'm trying it again."

It worked again ... an 11-3 win.

Miley is ducking nothing during these turbulent times. Before Saturday's victory, staggered by an eight-game losing streak, Miley said he planned to make a public appearance after the game. He went to the Game Day Sports Cafe for a radio spot with Tracy Jones.

"I don't care if we were on an eight-game winning streak or an eight-game losing streak, I made the commitment and I'm keeping it. It isn't Tracy Jones' fault we lost eight in a row."

Lopez's approach

After sitting for the early segments of the season, Felipe Lopez is getting playing time — second base Friday and shortstop Saturday, mostly because he is hitting .308 with 11 RBIs, third most on the team despite only 39 at-bats.

"I'll never forget what Ruben Sierra told me in 1999, my rookie year, in winter ball," Lopez said. "He said, 'Son, you have great hands, but if you don't hit, you better find something else to do. That's the key. If you hit, they'll find a spot for you."

While he sat, he worked.

"I used batting practice for game situations," he said. "Instead of trying to hit home runs, I worked on things. A lot of guys use batting practice to show off, then they take bad habits into the game."

Said Miley, "Give Lopez a lot of credit. When he didn't get a lot of playing time early, he worked a lot with (hitting coach) Chris Chambliss and (infield coach) Randy Whisler."

Lopez had a double and two RBIs in Saturday's victory.

Surgery for Gruler

The Reds' misfortune with pitching prospects continues.

Chris Gruler, the team's No. 1 draft pick (third overall) in 2002, is scheduled for another shoulder surgery. In three injury-plagued seasons in rookie ball and with the Dayton Dragons, he has appeared in only 22 games, going 2-4 with a 5.33 ERA.

Valentin recovering

Normally, Javier Valentin probably would catch fellow Latin player Ramon Ortiz, especially in a day game after a night game, but Valentin was on the bench Saturday.

The switch-hitting Valentin was able to catch and bat right-handed, but he wasn't ready to bat left-handed.

"I hurt something in my left side taking extra batting practice in Milwaukee," he said. "It was 30 degrees and they had the roof open. It did it on the last swing I took.

Valentin took batting practice before Saturday's game, including some light swings from the left side, and felt fine, meaning he'll be available to catch today, if put into the lineup.

A real professional

Pitcher Paul Wilson was at his locker ready for the media after his public execution Friday night, when he recorded no outs and gave up eight runs.

Many guys would have dug a hole and hid.

"Wish I could have," he said. "I learned a long time ago to take it like a man, that it is best to face the media and get it over, and they won't be as tough on you. The worst thing for me was being here in the clubhouse after getting pummeled when I should have been out there with my teammates who were getting booed because of me."

No white horse?

Somebody asked Adam Dunn before the race who he thought would win Saturday's Kentucky Derby and he said, "A brown horse. That's how much I know. And now that I've said that, a gray horse probably will win ... that's how I'm going."

Of course Giacomo, the Derby winner, was the only gray horse in the field.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Few things:

I liked what Lopez said. He has the right attitude just like WMP. When they can't start, they're going to learn as much as possible from Chambliss and try to become better, more complete batters. And from what Miley said, it sounds like he is realizing FeLo's hard work and dedication.

Gruler is done.... period.

Wilson might be a terrible pitcher (as of late) but at least he is a man of character. Sure that doesn't earn him the paycheck, but I respect him like a man, unlike some pitchers..... *cough*graves*cough*

I agree with you mission, Gruler is done.

2.5M could have bought much better things.

MLB ERA
    Wilson is the epitomy of what a player should be like on the personal level.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

I don't think that Miley is that smart. He'll probably have Aurilla out there tonight. Lopez is producing while he is in there and Miley keeps Aurilla in there most of the time.
    Lopez had about half the Ab's as Aurilla, but theya have the same amount of HR's and Lopez has 2 more RBI.

MLB ERA
    Welcome to the board, Dunn#44.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum Dunn! Hope to see you around this season.

It's no question that Lopez is outperforming Aurlia's production despite his lack of AB's. And I know some argue Aurilia is starting due to more solid defense. While he may not get the throwing errors FeLo is known for, he lacks so much range. How many balls that we have seen get by Aurilia that Lopez would of got? I just don't see how Miley can justify him as a starter. It truly perplexes me.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Welcome Dunn#44! Glad to see you become apart of this great team of posters. Be sure to stick around, because you will find that all of us enjoy talking Reds baseball.

Great to hear that Lopez's hard work is finally paying off. Aurilia and Jiminez better not get the spot over him and Freel anymore. They better be the ones that have to work with Chambliss and Whisler for a while and try to earn their spot back.