Thread: Jeff Brantley to join Reds radio booth

MLB ERA

Jeff Brantley to join Reds radio booth

Jeff Brantley is the choice to be the third man in the Reds' radio booth.

An announcement could come shortly after the end of the World Series. Brantley, a former Reds reliever, is currently working the World Series for ESPN.

Brantley, 44, is expected to join Marty Brennaman and Thom Brennaman as part of the primary radio team. Thom is expected to work 45 games on the radio and 45 games on TV. Marty's longtime partner, Joe Nuxhall, will work six to 12 games. That will leave the bulk of the schedule to Marty Brennaman and Brantley.

Brantley could not be reached for comment. But two sources said the Reds and Brantley have agreed to a deal.

Reds chief operating officer John Allen said the search is "proceeding. I'm not going to comment publicly on candidates."

One of the other candidates for the job - former Reds catcher Joe Oliver - said Tuesday that he had not heard from the Reds in weeks.

Brantley has worked for ESPN since 2002, shortly after he retired following a 14-year big league career. Brantley has been a regular on Baseball Tonight as well as an analyst on games.

When the Reds announced that Steve Stewart's contract would not be renewed, team officials said they wanted a former player to provide analysis.

The job will also require some play-by-play. Marty Brennaman calls the first, second, fifth, sixth, eighth and ninth innings of games. The second announcer does play-by-play in the third, four and seventh innings.

- The Cincinnati Enquirer
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I'm pleased he's on the radio, because that means we won't have to see his "eye rolls" he likes to give whenever talking.

On the negative side, that means George Grande won't "beeeeee....goneeeee!"
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hahaha

Yep, until Grande is gone I am not pleased with the TV broadcast. I am too sick of his act.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    While I'm not opposed to Jeff Brantley, I am curious as to whether he was the best guy they could get. It seems like they would be able to get another former Red who has more recognition than Brantley.
    rf28

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Good, he's gone from ESPN, good.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

AAA ERA
    well i got what I wanted a former player to go with Marty, may not be the one I want, but i guess we will see