Thread: Pitching coaches interviewed

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Pitching coaches interviewed

The Reds might have a new pitching coach in place by the middle of next week.
    "We hope to," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.
    The club has interviewed three outside and two internal candidates. They are:
    Dave Wallace, the outgoing Boston Red Sox pitching coach. Wallace had held the Boston job since 2003 but was fired after the season. He missed half of this season after developing an infection in his hip that required surgery. Wallace, 59, was on the staff when Narron was the Sox's bench coach.
    Dick Pole, who was Dusty Baker's bench coach this season for the Chicago Cubs. Pole is a former big-league pitcher and coached for five different teams in the majors, mostly as pitching coach. Pole, 56, pitched for six years in the majors.
    Jim Hickey, the outgoing Houston Astros pitching coach. Hickey took over on an interim basis July 14, 2004, and served as the club pitching coach in 2005 and 2006. He was fired after this season, despite the fact that the Astros finished second in the National League in ERA at 4.05. Earlier, he was pitching coach for Triple-A New Orleans, which won the International League ERA title his final two seasons.
    Ted Power, the former Red who served last year as the pitching coach at Triple-A Louisville. Power, 51, was hired as the minor-league rehab coordinator but was moved to Louisville after Lee Tunnell went from Louisville's pitching coach to interim bullpen coach for the Reds.
    Mike LaCoss, another former Red, is currently a roving instructor in the organization's minor leagues. LaCoss, 50, also served as a scout for the Reds.
    "They were all outstanding," Narron said.
    The pitching coach job opened when Vern Ruhle was re-assigned to a minor-league job. Ruhle missed virtually all of last season undergoing treatment for cancer. Tom Hume served as interim pitching coach but returns to his role as bullpen coach.
    The Reds also have an opening for a hitting coach to replace Chris Chambliss, who was fired.
    Narron confirmed the club has interviewed Butch Wynegar. Wynegar, 50, was fired as Milwaukee's hitting coach.
    "He's very solid," Narron said. "He did a good job in Milwaukee. He's very good on mechanics."
    Narron said the focus has been on getting a pitching coach hired, so the decision on a hitting coach could come later.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...610280388/1071

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I sure hope that its Hickey.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hickey would be my first choice as well. If they had the chance to get him, I see no reason why they wouldn't. It would seriously be ridiculous if they do not if given the opportunity. And I think the opportunity is knocking right now if they at least got an interview from him. Go get him Krivsky!

I would go into a spill about who I would settle for, but I don't think this team needs to settle for anyone. Get the guys we need and thats it.

And as for the hitting coach job, they are being retards looking at Wynegar. Narron is such a tool. "Mechanics"? Dude can't teach anyone how to make contact, and we like him? Shame...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Guys, next year is going to be so much worse. The Cards, with winning it all, is surely going to go big this offseason while we will likely hire cheap and old school coaches (who aren't even good for being old school), making trades we do not need and signing FA's who we will later regret. Ugh.

Wynegar is just trash, complete trash. When Narron is the captain of your ship, I guess if you expect to go in any direction, the only option is the one that will sink you.

MLB ERA
    Its not time to worry yet. I want to see what the reds do when the winter meetings are held. It certainly couldnt be worse than DorkO's day of 1) Talking to RAs agent, 2) Trading for Tony Woehack for anything of value , 3) Trading Sean Casey for garbage and that being his day.

Plus just becasue Wynegar is the only one mentioned doesnt mean thats all we are interviewing. The media has done such a great job on their stories including such Pulitzer Sports reporting as "Gruden on a plane to Columbus" and many more. So nows not the time to panic.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes