Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let the Dunn rumors start

AAA ERA
    i am with Mission, i just don't see us getting the value we want, so that = no trade, unfortunately, i don't think Krivsky is going to see it that way, i think he will see it as getting rid of K's and getting anything in return is a (+)

just wait and see

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Astros reportedly no longer have interest:

Not long ago, the Astros would have jumped at the chance to acquire Reds left fielder Adam Dunn, who grew up outside of Houston.
    No more.
    The Astros, while intent on adding a slugger, do not consider Dunn an appealing trade option, a major-league source says.
    Dunn led the majors with 194 strikeouts last season. He has hit 40 or more homers in each of the past three seasons, but his on-base/slugging percentage has declined in each of the last two. His defense and conditioning are further concerns, and the long-term presence of Lance Berkman would prevent the Astros from moving Dunn to first base. The Astros reportedly are one of the teams attempting to trade for the Yankees' Gary Sheffield, but they're more likely to sign a free agent such as Alfonso Soriano or Carlos Lee.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6139030
    Sounds good to me.

AAA ERA
    If Dunn would commit himself to becoming a good major league ball player, I'd love to keep him, but until then, other than power and choking in many pressure situations, he brings nothing to this team.

I don't trade him for nothing, though. I guess I hold him until he gets a good offer in for us, or starts trying.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Reds GM Wayne Krivsky hasn't wrenched his back yet trying to move Dunn, but lots of people say he's in full-fledged listening mode.
    Dunn hit 40 homers for the third straight season, and the tape-measure jobs still generate oohs and ahs. But his combined on-base/slugging percentage has dipped from .957 to .855 since 2004, and some people think his heart went out of it a little bit after the Reds traded his buddy Austin Kearns to Washington. He never projected a tremendous amount of fire before that.
    "He's a very strange package," said an American League executive. "The power is incredible, obviously, and he does walk a lot. But the defense is brutal and the strikeouts are brutal. I think they'd move him if they could."
    Krivsky spent a lot of years in Minnesota, where the Twins stressed pitching and defense, and Dunn doesn't fit that philosophy. Cost is also a concern. Dunn will make $10.5 million in 2007, and the Reds have a $13 million option for 2008. That's a lot of money for a DH -- especially in a league where the position doesn't exist.
    Here's the problem: While Krivsky made some inspired acquisitions last offseason -- adding Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Phillips -- he put a dent in his offensive surplus when he traded Kearns and Felipe Lopez to the Nationals in July. The Reds ranked ninth in the NL in runs scored, and Rich Aurilia, who hit 23 homers, is a free agent. If Krivsky moves Dunn, he'll want both pitching and an impact bat in return.
    Baltimore and Texas are among the American League clubs that might have an interest. The Astros are more likely to pursue Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano through free agency, but they'll at least kick the tires on Dunn. Pittsburgh makes some sense, given the short right field at PNC Park and the team's need for a lefty power hitter. But it's hard to see the Pirates shelling out the coin for Dunn. They're more likely to focus on a younger, less costly bat, such as Arizona's Chad Tracy or Florida's Mike Jacobs.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...rry&id=2661411

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Sounds more credible to me that Krivsky is ready to get rid of Dunn. As you guys all have stated already, his value is down and we just aren't going to get a good return for him. Just look at what the executive said about him in the above article:

"He's a very strange package," said an American League executive. "The power is incredible, obviously, and he does walk a lot. But the defense is brutal and the strikeouts are brutal. I think they'd move him if they could."
    Its absurd to think Krivsky could convince a GM otherwise. There seems to be a market for Dunn, but not a very profitable one.

I believe that Dunn would only be traded if Krivsky were offered what he has stated is a need. Many times already this offseason Krivsky has stated that the biggest needs for this team are a closer, a SS, and a RF (and if there was more it would be a SP). Couple that with Castelinni's demand of building a winner and you have a recipe that only speaks of MLB ready players. I think spects are out of the question for a Dunn trade right now. And we all know that Dunn's value will not net a great closer, a Miguel Tejada, nor an impact RF. Much less a #1 SP. So we would have to look at second tier type players and hopefully Krivsky could net a 2 for 1 deal somehow and close a few of those needs.

Either that or just don't trade Dunn this offseason. But think about the scenario if Dunn is not on the block. Who else do we have out there to trade? LaRue? umm......hmm.....
    Who else is there? LaRue isn't going to get us anything at all. Is Krivsky going to have to fill all these holes through FA? If so, other than Speier and maybe Gagne, which closers are worth pursuing? Give me a legitimate SS that will make an impact. Doesn't look good, does it?

If Krivsky is to get this team ready for contention this next year, (which has all but been promised to Reds fans) then isn't he going to have to fill the needs that are open for this team?

Someone please give me a scenario where this could happen without trading Dunn.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Can't post a link to this one. But this is a post from an admin in a baseball magazine forum.

Tigers' GM Dave Dombrowski's asking price for Jeremy Bonderman remains high, and most teams are now moving on to less expensive options. It's now looking as if he'll stay put.

However, Detroit is still interested in Adam Dunn, but for a fraction of what Cincinnati GM Wayne Krivsky is demanding Bonderman) or a similar top of the rotation starter) in any return.
    not sure how to read this, but it sounds like these two teams may find a match if they don't find anyone else to deal with. Both teams are interested in eachother's players. I have no doubt Krivsky would do this deal straight up if it were offered. But man, our offense would be abysmal then.

We would have to sign two HUGE bats if this were to occur.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Can't post a link to this one. But this is a post from an admin in a baseball magazine forum.

not sure how to read this, but it sounds like these two teams may find a match if they don't find anyone else to deal with. Both teams are interested in eachother's players. I have no doubt Krivsky would do this deal straight up if it were offered. But man, our offense would be abysmal then.

We would have to sign two HUGE bats if this were to occur.
    To just bandy around an idea some have joked (or seemingly joked about)...

Detroit Trades:
    Bonderman (would likely be 2b/3 in our rotation)
    Maggs (RF with power)
    Spects

Cincy Trades:
    Dunn (Takes over primary DH or splits with Sheffield)
    Junior (They say they need some LHP so Jr Dunn could provide it play part time CF)
    Spects.

Move Freel/Deno to CF need a bat for LF but LF is usually easier to find that CF.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    You wish. They'd never in a million years do that.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, unless we're handing over the farm, it makes no sense for the Tigers (and even then I doubt they are in re-building mode.) I don't see us finding a trade partner unless Krivsky lowers his demands, which let's all hope and pray he doesn't, because most teams will be looking at Dunn to make 'The Trade: II.'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123