Thread: Latest move from Krivsky

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Latest move from Krivsky

per Marc Lancaster's Blog:

The Reds have acquired infielder/outfielder Jerry Gil from the Diamondbacks for right-hander Abe Woody. Gil has 29 big-league games under his belt but spent all of 2006 in the minors. He hit .256 with 28 doubles, 27 homers and 89 RBIs in 128 games between Class AA Tennessee (I just passed their ballpark a while ago) and Class AAA Tucson. Gil, who turns 24 tomorrow, is a nephew of legendary former Reds hurler Josias Manzanillo. He has been added to the 40-man roster.

UPDATE: Wayne Krivsky says Gil has enough arm to play third base, center field or right field, though his natural position is shortstop. As for his bat:

"He’s obviously got some power," said Krivsky. "He strikes out a little too much and doesn’t walk quite enough. But he’s got a lot of ability and tools. We like the package and thought it was worthwhile to go ahead and do it."
    So what are your thoughts? He doesn't sound bad and it could be another move from Krivsky where he finds untapped talent that can have a positive effect on the team. Woody had some good numbers for our minor league system, but not astonishing enough to recall off hand. I don't think he will be missed that much.

Here is the question. I know it is early to be thinking like this but is Krivsky looking for a UTIL type player to replace Aurilia? If so, I do not like the thought of it. Or is he looking at Gil being our starting SS if nothing else pans out? Is he sour on Phillips chances of playing SS?

Just some thoughts that make this a little more interesting.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    So what are your thoughts? He doesn't sound bad and it could be another move from Krivsky where he finds untapped talent that can have a positive effect on the team. Woody had some good numbers for our minor league system, but not astonishing enough to recall off hand. I don't think he will be missed that much.

Here is the question. I know it is early to be thinking like this but is Krivsky looking for a UTIL type player to replace Aurilia? If so, I do not like the thought of it. Or is he looking at Gil being our starting SS if nothing else pans out? Is he sour on Phillips chances of playing SS?

Just some thoughts that make this a little more interesting.
    IMO This is just a low risk/high reward potential. If Gil does well we sing Krivsky's praises like we did for Phillips, Ross, or Arroyo. If he bombs we didn't give up a whole lot for him so eh worth a shot. The FO probably sees Gil as a possible SS but I doubt he's the only one we will see in camp. Theres going to be a few people we look at so I wouldnt read anything more than "an able body" for SS here.

FO may see Phillips as an Alomar type 2b and doesnt want to yank him around and mess up something.

My Prediction: Probably a utility guy off the bench or in Louisville waiting for a chance. As DorkO proved something isn't always better than nothing but this something wont hurt us if Gil doesn't cut it here.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AAA ERA
    yeah if he has High K's.. then we know he isn't going to be expected to succeed.. he is essentially like Sly said another example of a low risk high reward guy.. sort of like Phillips last year.. someone who if he lives up to his Potential for us its a huge plus and if he doesn't then we didn't lose anything for him.. I really do like that mentality.. i mean this organization has dropped a lot of time in the past on guys who never cut it, but then turn and traded away guys who eventually caught on somewhere else.. so to make these type of trades can work out.. as long as what we lose is minimal