Thread: Reds seek new hitting, pitching coaches

MLB ERA

Reds seek new hitting, pitching coaches

Reds seek new hitting, pitching coaches

The Reds did not offer hitting coach Chris Chambliss a contract for 2007, the team announced today. Chambliss, who spent the last three seasons as hitting coach, saw the Reds drop from first in the NL in runs last year to ninth this year.

The team also will be looking for a new pitching coach entering 2007. Vern Ruhle, who missed all of 2006 after being diagnosed with cancer, will be reassigned within the organization. Tom Hume, his season-long replacement, will return to his longtime job as the bullpen coach. Lee Tunnell, the interim bullpen coach, will not return to the major league staff but could be reassigned within the organization. He originally signed on last winter to be the pitching coach at Louisville.

The remaining coaches from the 2006 staff will return to their jobs: Bucky Dent as bench coach, Billy Hatcher as first base coach, Mark Berry as third base coach and Mike Stefanski as bullpen catcher.

- Marc Lancaster
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So no Chambliss and Dunn connections any longer. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I honestly think Chambliss did a nice job with this team. I think he had a lot to do with continuing EdE progression and getting Phillips on track this season.

But what about the big guy? Did Chambliss really help him? Or did he hurt his abilities? And how is this going to effect Dunn now? Dunn has said that he really loves Chambliss' approach. He loves everything he has learned from the guy. So how much of a role does this play into the "trade Dunn" factor? Is Krivsky prepared to trade Dunn and not have to worry about how it effects him not having Chambliss?

Lots of questions come from this...

MLB ERA
    it should be interesting. i think chambliss wants to go onto a bigger team, perhaps coaching.

i was suprised though
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

If Ron Jackson still wants to be a hitting coach, I hope the Reds grab him. He helped a lot of Sox hitters out and while he had some failures, a lot of his guys improved or sustained in his time too.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I say Jerry Narron goes after Rudy Jaramillo if he doesn't get the Texas managerial job.

Also, don't be surprised if you see a former Red become pitching coach.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Tom Browning? I would bet on that one.

Is it that Chambliss and Ruhle want to leave, or does the FO want a change? Anyone know the answer to this one?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I would say Browning, MAYBE Jose Rijo, and MAYBE Mario Soto would be likely candidates.
    rf28

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    If Ron Jackson still wants to be a hitting coach, I hope the Reds grab him. He helped a lot of Sox hitters out and while he had some failures, a lot of his guys improved or sustained in his time too.
    Bingo. I am glad I read the posts before posting this same thing (essentially.) I'll have more to say on Chambliss, but I might go with a podcast on this one, I don't know. Needless to say, I don't get it and with Narron picking a good old boy like himself (almost without question), I'll likely be even more frustrated.

MLB ERA
    Krivsky says it was ultimately Narron's decision to make the changes.

I did find it a bid odd that Krivsky said that he had nothing bad to say about Chambliss and liked his approach, etc. and then saw in today's Enquirer that Narron, although saying some good things about him, said that they need to change the philosophy of some of the hitters or something like that.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This guarantees Narron's position as the manager. Krivsky allows Narron to make decisions like this? I know it is nice to get the manager's perspective to ensure he and the coaches are on the same page, but to allow him to make the ultimate decision is ridiculous.

I am mad today! This is bad news for the Reds.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Rudy Jaramillo's name was mentioned in the newspaper this morning. If the new manager of the Rangers wants his own staff, it would make sense for him to possibly come here.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    "Rudy told me he'd prefer to remain our hitting coach, as that's where his heart is, rather than be considered for the manager position," Daniels said. "As such, he won't be interviewed in our search. I think Rudy's capable of managing someday, but I'm happy he's on our side, regardless of which position it's in. He's as well thought of as it gets in this business."
    http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/...=.jsp&c_id=tex

This quote makes me think that they are real comfortable in keeping him in the organization. But you never know with new managers and what they may want. I just think they really want to keep him around.

Good find though and I like where your head is at on this one.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Rudy Jaramillo would be pretty pricey though as I think his tag is quite high after the results he has had, I'd love to get him though if he went out on the market.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I would hope that the Reds would make a run at Jim Hickey, who was fired by the Astros. I think that after managing the likes of Oswalt, Pettitte, and Clemens, he might be able to work with what we've got here.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hickey would be awesome, but I doubt he is a front runner. Castellini will likely opt to go with the traditional manner and hire Browning or Soto IMO.

But an addition of Hickey and Jaramillo. WOW!

I would bank on something like Soto or Browning as the pitching coach and Griffey Sr. as the hitting coach. Just the way I see it turning out.