Thread: Is the lineup change first of several?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Is the lineup change first of several?

Is the lineup change first of several?
    GM offers few hints after meeting

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

The Reds' front office staff and coaches met for 2½ hours before Wednesday game.

No roster moves followed.

But the lineup for Wednesday's game against the St. Louis Cardinals was different than it had been for any of the previous 26, and that's no coincidence.

Ryan Freel batted first and played center field. Felipe Lopez batted second and played second base.

"We had an honest exchange," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said. "Some ideas of merit were presented for moving forward. It starts with (manager Dave Miley) making adjustments to the lineup."

So you can read something into the Reds' two fastest players hitting first and second. You read something into the fact D'Angelo Jimenez wasn't in the lineup against a left-hander, even though he's hitting well against lefties and horribly against right-handers.

But don't read anything into the fact that Ken Griffey Jr. was not starting.

"With (left-handed Mark) Mulder starting and a day off (today), I thought I'd give him two days in a row off. We have a lot of games in a row coming up," Miley said.

O'Brien said the Reds want to create a lineup "with a different flow and structure to it."

He said putting Freel and Lopez together was an example of that. He declined to give details beyond that.
    Click here for the rest: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...505050351/1071

MLB ERA
    "We had an honest exchange," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said. "Some ideas of merit were presented for moving forward. It starts with (manager Dave Miley) making adjustments to the lineup."

The verbiage this guy uses causes a ball of laughs. Blah, blah, blah.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    I always thought the problem was the changes Miley was making with the lineup. Good to see they are talking the problems out. Make 2 to 3 positions changes and then keep the lineup the same. Situation handled.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear about Hancock!

Wow, I never thought I would be exicted about Josh Hancock coming back. A lot can change in two months, huh?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Ya no doubt. I feel you on that too. Its almost hilarious how crazy this last few weeks has been.

MLB ERA
    It's a good thing we can say Hancock's name around here now, because we'll probably be hearing a lot about him very soon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The guy throws junk for the most part, but he seems to make it work so I am willing to give him a shot. It's kind of odd how we went into the season thinking we had too much depth and now we are clawing for the thought of any decent pitcher that we have.

AA ERA
    Good call mission. Even with starting pitching we thought that we had 6 maybe 7 starters and now we are looking for just one.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    More on Hancock...

Hancock progressing

Is there pitching help on the way? Not soon, unless a trade is made (not likely) or there's a call-up from the minors (more likely).

Disabled pitcher Josh Hancock threw in the bullpen before Wednesday's game and will throw every other day until the Reds leave town next Thursday.

"Then I'm going to Florida (Sarasota) to pitch a simulated game May 17, take five days off, and pitch another simulated game," Hancock said. "If all goes well, and I've felt great, then they'll decide where I'll go to pitch on rehab.

"It looks like June when I'll be back in uniform with the Reds; at least I can see the end of the tunnel," he added. "I'm tired of playing cheerleader, and I'm going to Florida to work on more than my tan."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...redsnotes.html