Thread: intriguing

intriguing

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

LOS ANGELES -- Manager Frank Robinson said a change of scenery might be best for right-handed pitcher Zach Day.
    Robinson said Day believes that the skipper doesn't respect him, but Robinson said he has the highest regard for Day.

"Zach Day doesn't think I like him. He thinks I hate him," Robinson said. "Anything that I do now, short of him being successful, he's going to think I'm not giving him an opportunity to pitch enough."

After Wednesday's victory over the Dodgers, Day was careful with his words. He agreed, however, that a change of scenery might be best. He has not yet talked to interim general manager Jim Bowden about making a trade. During Spring Training, Day was the subject of trade rumors, with the Reds, his hometown team, showing interest in his services.

"It has been something I thought about. I will just put it like that," Day said. "We'll see how it goes."

After Tuesday's game, in which Day gave up two runs on six hits in 3 2/3 innings, Robinson announced that Day would work out of the bullpen once Tony Armas Jr. is activated early next week. Day is 1-2 with a 5.06 ERA. He also has 16 walks in 26 2/3 innings.

"I don't dislike Zach. I've not lost confidence in him," Robinson said. "It's just that when you are not going well, I have to do certain things for the good of the team. I cannot take the chance of an inning exploding in my face and the game getting away in one inning.

"I have liked this kid's stuff ever since the day he got here. If it wasn't for me, he would have been gone. I was talking to him during Spring Training about working out of the bullpen because he has such good stuff. Then maybe he wouldn't have to think about a bad outing overnight. That's what he did when he first played with us -- pitch out of the bullpen -- and he was outstanding."

Pitching coach Randy St. Claire said Day's demotion to the bullpen does not mean Day will straighten himself out.

"Putting him in the bullpen does not mean he will have success," St. Claire said. "He has to throw the ball in the strike zone."

Day is still experiencing dizziness from an inner ear infection and refused to use that as an excuse as to why he pitched poorly on Tuesday.

"There's still a little bit of an infection in there. It's day-to-day," Day said. "After the game, the ear infection bothered me. During the game, it didn't."

Robinson also said he plans to talk to Day about Tuesday's incident in which Day showed up the skipper in the fourth inning against the Dodgers.

As Robinson came out of the dugout and walked toward the pitcher's mound, Day had his back turned toward Robinson. Day handed him the ball with his back turned, then walked toward the dugout without looking at Robinson.

Robinson, 69, did not express any anger during or after the game and did nothing to reprimand Day.

Robinson's mellow attitude shows how much he has changed over the years. Over 20 years ago, Robinson would have embarrassed a pitcher like Day in public if that hurler showed him up.

In the early 1980s, for example, Giants right-hander Jim Barr showed up Robinson, and Robinson grabbed his arm and reamed Barr out in front of a Shea Stadium crowd in New York.

Asked if age had mellowed him over the years, Robinson said: "I'm more experienced. I can handle things in different ways now. Did I tone my act down? I toned it down, sure."
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Eh... hopefully this means he could cheaper than Kearns or Pena. I wouldn't mind having Day at all, just not at the expense of those two.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Nope not at their expense for sure. I think that this may honestly be a set up situation. Bowden may just be seeing who will bite at this. I hope DanO satys away from Kearns or Pena talks unless we get more.

AAA ERA
    i wonder if this means we can get him cheap?.. its the only way i would take him is for cheap

MLB ERA
    A change of scenery won't make Zach Day what he is not, and he is not a very good pitcher.

I would give up kearns for Day and a top prospect. At this point i've lost faith in Kearns. I wouldn't trade Wily Mo for Day and a prospect, maybe patterson but i don't think they'll be letting him go anytime soon. I just think that Wily Mo's problems can be fixed, he can be taught to run down fly balls better, and he's already showing better plate discipline. But kearns, he just looks terrible, and i don't know how you teach a guy to stop looking terrible.

Or i would give up a minor leaguer for him. Denorfia? Smitherman? I can't see these guys cracking our outfield anytime soon.
    Reds MVP Race

day is better than most of what we run out there.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Maybe Bowden will take his high-contract buddy Graves for Day.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.