Thread: Reds calling up help for shaky bullpen

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds calling up help for shaky bullpen

Reds calling up help for shaky bullpen

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter
    The Reds will make at least one move to shake up their roster today, calling up veteran reliever Ricky Stone from the minors to bolster their bullpen.

A baseball source confirmed Thursday night that the Reds would purchase Stone's contract from Class AAA Louisville prior to tonight's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Great American Ball Park.

Stone, a Hamilton, Ohio, native, signed a minor-league contract with the Reds last November. The 30-year-old right-hander was among the team's last cuts in spring training, and he agreed to go to Louisville in the hopes of earning a call to the big leagues during the season.

Stone has appeared in nine games for the Bats, going 2-1 with a 2.57 ERA and collecting three saves. He has walked three and struck out 15 in 14 innings of work and has not allowed a run in his last six appearances, which totaled nine innings.
    Click here for the rest

it's got to be valentine i would think, belisle has shown a little more. As for the 40 man roster i have no idea.

I am really starting to hate this reds team though. It's one thing to loose because you don't have the players, it's another to loose because you won't use them. It's too much to ask of fans. I read the rich aurilia article linked on that page, and it talks about him like he's been the starter in cincy all his life. Did everyone in the media take crazy pills? Don't we remember him competing for the job? Loosing that competition? Sucking? Is rich aurilia an evil wizard? Has he corrupted the minds of our front office? AHHHHH!!!!
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

anyone else coming up? I'd be excited to see booker, i'd love to see him come up and dominate. A guy like that could be a huge shot in the arm.
    Reds MVP Race

AAA ERA
    i really wanna see booker come up...ive watched him at louisville and hes got great stuff

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Congrats on the Stone callup, but I hope this is not the the only change that we should expect. But I am excited to see what effects Stone can bring to major league batters and how much he can help this team.

I agree, Valentine is going to have to be the one going down. Hopefully Gullett gives him great things to work on while he is in Louisville. Hopefully he gets it back soon and can be a name we love for this bullpen.

I honestly was expecting some kind of trade or some major lineup changes to come out of those meetings earlier this week. So I wonder if the lineup will look much different. If not, we really should expect very bad things from this team as they will be giving us all knowledge that they have no clue and they don't care to find one. Lets hope our ideas of the current management changes tonight. Lets see a good lineup take the field with a few new bullpen arms that can keep opposing teams from scoring 7 runs with 2 outs.

Good call up!

MLB ERA
    Ricky Stone? He's not going to do anything but make the Reds BP 10x worse. That guy is complete garbage. We (Padre fans) had to sit through painful innings of him giving up hits and walks right and left last year until the Padres finally gave up on him and let him go.

I feel sorry for you Red fans right about now if you're having to rely on Ricky Stone to fix your pen
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AAA ERA
    well well just see how he does.

it's not a great situation, for sure, but if you look at stone's MLB stats last year was an anomally. Of course you would rather have a sure thing, but that's what the reds thought they were getting in weathers and milton, and they haven't panned out yet. So if the sure things aren't working, the next best options are the guys that have been good in the past and are trying to return to form. His problem last year was control and that was the problem that cost him in ST as well. He went to Louisville and has a 15/4 k/bb ratio, and i think there is reason to believe that if he can keep up something close to that rate he will return to success in the majors.
    Reds MVP Race

AAA ERA
    how about giving David Weathers his walking papers, it would free up a spot on the 25 man and the 40 man

i'd let weber go first, he's lost it.
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep I would say Weber first as well. Weathers is at least good every once in a while.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Yep I would say Weber first as well. Weathers is at least good every once in a while.
    flip a coin

Congrats to Stone..