Thread: Marty and Son: Closer to becoming reality?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Marty and Son: Closer to becoming reality?

Brennaman talks with Reds about job

Nick Piecoro
    The Arizona Republic
    Oct. 3, 2006 12:00 AM

Thom Brennaman, the voice of the Diamondbacks for all nine of their seasons, appears close to accepting a position with the Cincinnati Reds, where he would join his father, Marty, in the broadcast booth.

Both Brennaman and Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall said a decision has not yet been reached, although a report in Monday's Cincinnati Enquirer said an announcement could be made as soon as next week.

The Reds asked for and were granted permission by the Diamondbacks to speak with him in August.

"It goes without saying there is a tremendous draw to work with your dad," Brennaman said. "And I'm grateful to the Diamondbacks for having at least allowed me the opportunity to explore that becoming a reality."

Marty, who was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000, has been a Reds announcer since 1974. Thom, who grew up in Cincinnati, spent two years as a Reds announcer in the late 1980s, calling games alongside Johnny Bench.

Other teams have previously contacted the Diamondbacks about Brennaman, who is under contract through 2009, but have always been rebuffed by the club.

"We have always said no in the past; he has always said no in the past," Hall said. "But this is a unique circumstance that involves his father and his hometown and we would not get in the way of family."

Should he depart, Brennaman is expected to do both television and radio work for the Reds.
    I am surprised that there seems to be merit to what Lance said. I wouldn't mind this arrangement at all.

AA ERA
    that would be pretty awesome with two brennaman's in the booth

Reds Chick Baseblogger Red Hot Mama's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

I am SO not sold on the idea

On the one hand, I can see how the Reds need to do something gimmicky if they're ever going to have a chance of winning over the Nuxhall-lovers, but at the same time, I'm disappointed in this idea. It seems like the Reds are taking the easy route instead of coming up with a great new idea for their approach to Reds baseball on the radio.

I sent an e-mail to a reporter at the Arizona Tribune asking whether Thom was really any good. In his response was "He didn't work his way onto the Fox major league game of the week by not knowing his stuff." Is that a compliment?

AAA ERA
    you know i really have been ok with this until right now, when i just read that he would do Radio and Television.. that has me extremely pumped for this to Happen, I am so ready for TV announcing to be better