Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 games left? Let's tank.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Any rotation with Chris Michalak in it needs some help. He needs to not be in it next year under any circumstance. He is awful.
    Only in Cincinnati, where no stuff and dominating AAA years after you should of would get you start after start.

MLB ERA
    I still think Denorfia and Ramirez have some potential. Denorfia's defense would save a lot of Runs if nothing else if/when he started. I believe he also has better minor league numbers than Freel had, just for the record.

Ramirez probably won't be great, but I could see him gaining a bit more experience and endurance and building on his solid numbers until his collapse this year. I believe he's still only 23, so he is still very raw. I could see him possibly becoming a No. 5 starter...eventually.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    I really don't know what to make of Harang at this point. He could possibly just be inconsistent (remember that dominating May or so he had last year and then went into a mini collapse at some point, only to bounce back.) He could be non-clutch, I just don't know.

As for a closer, I agree the title is overrated, but it seems to give Narron some stability in managing the pen when he knows who is coming at the 9th when confidence in their ability. (This will be us for the next few years, trying to cater to a moron.)

Last line: Quotable Quote of The Day
    Definitely a good point about giving Narron stability. He seems to have no clue without someone designated as a closer who he thinks he can count on. He wasn't great when Guaradado was closing, but slightly better than at other times.

It's sad that we have to make decisions based on the incredible stupidity of our manager.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I still think Denorfia and Ramirez have some potential. Denorfia's defense would save a lot of Runs if nothing else if/when he started. I believe he also has better minor league numbers than Freel had, just for the record.
    I love his defense and I think he does have upside, but he is a player that lives or dies with his contact for the most part. If someone is injured, I have no problem with him stepping in, but I'd prefer to see a more stable option with more power potential and thus run production with a starting spot. He could very well develop to be a starter since he did kind of pop out from nowhere (a possible late bloomer like you were leading to.)

MLB ERA
    Oh I agree. I prefer him as a fourth outfielder. I think he has some potential of being able to start though.

MLB ERA
    The Reds are trying to blow another one here. This wouldn't be an issue if we had 9 Runs like the Cards do in tonight's game.

BTW, Jeff Weaver has been sparkling.

MLB ERA
    And even though the final Run was inherited and allowed by Schoeneweis, tonight was ANOTHER non-quality start for Harang against a not so jaw-dropping lineup.

MLB ERA
    1.) I agree, but does the ownership really have the cash to sign a #1, or would a #1 even want to come here unless we overpaid like crazy?
    To make an omelet you got to break a few eggs. We can't keep waiting for the farm to produce something cause by then you will see guys like Bronson gone and have to fill that hole too. Harang and Arroyo have been good for us this year, but we need someone with a history of being GREAT. Thats what gets you to the playoffs. Plus people have noticed what we were able to do with a team that most of the pundits predicted to finish no better than 4th and most had us even lower. Schmidt would be a hero/legend in Cincy if he could come in and get the reds into the playoffs.

2.) I REALLY doubt Milton is walking. At best, he would be used in the pen, but with the cash invested in his player option, I would be shocked to not seeing him starting.
    I was thinking moreso by trade. Even if it means we have to take on some contract like a Chan Ho Park contract in return.

3.) Are you really sold on Olmedo's bat? I don't think I am and I don't know how much the team likes Freel as a starting 2B.
    You cant leave a guy at AAA (to do extremely well) without giving him a look eventually.

5.) I am personally not crazy about Deno outside of the 4th OF'er, so I agree some depth is needed there, a starting caliber player..
    We just dont know and when Griffey gets hurt who is there?

2.) Let Aurilia walk, why? .880 OPS and 4 position versatility, I am not his biggest fan but at his affordable contract, I don't think we could find a better infield bench/starting option.
    Maybe I still have a sore spot for that little spat he threw last year but I dunno...

3.) I'd love to pursue Schmidt as I think it's a bit more realistic than Zito (well, a lot more), I just don't know if he would come that cheap in terms of years signed. With his stuff and history, I have to imagine him holding out for a fat contract. But him, Harang and Bailey could give the Reds a lethal strikeout trio.
    Zito's agent is Scott BorASS, he will end up with the biggest contract of the pitchers this year. I would put money on it.

5.) I like the idea of Guillen. Obviously he thrived in Cincy and this ballpark, and he's young enough to be considered apart of the future past a season or two. And he very well could be a discount given his attitude problems and low profile name. Nice idea.
    I loved him when he was here, because he simply WANTED A CHANCE and WANTED TO PLAY. I understand why he was traded (and am greatful for it) but I always wondered what he might be able to do playing everyday in GAB. Whats happened after that is unknown and I'm sure that the FO has heard.

7.) I think The Lizard is a better version of his bad self (meaning still not that good.) But who knows.
    I liked what I saw from him out there this year and hes only 23 he's never going to be an All Star rotation carrier but he could be a very servicable 3, very good 4.

10.) After a shaky season, he seems to have bounced back with strong K/9 numbers, a lower WHIP and less hittable. I've always digged him and as a 5th starter, I wouldn't mind him at a low cost. He's always been a pitcher I perceived who was usually a bit better than his numbers indicated.
    I was just throwing names out there. Anything would be an improvement over Doug, Dan, Don.... whats his name??? *person whispers in my ear* Are you sure? *Guy nods* Dave Williams.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

C you there
    MLB ERA
    can i go hide in the dark corner while the reds throw yet another season down the drain

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well I have to agree with the opening reason for this thread. I like to see my team tank when they have no shot at the playoffs. Keep the stats up, but lose the game. The team has been real good at losing lately, so this shouldn't be too hard. But they have commited to trying to go out with a bang. They want to be spoilers and they want to go out as close to the top as possible. A .500 finish would be nice, but what is more important? I think getting a higher draft pick is much better for the organization. This team has already proved they can do better than expected. Now give Krivsky and co. the tools to get a player of higher caliber.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Why would RCast want a good draft pick? He wants to win now. A draft pick will take a few years to properly develop.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Any chance of us winning now? Thinking big for now has already been accomplished. See what you have established then build on it. Create bigger things for future endeavors as well. You have to capatilize on every opportunity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12