Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepare for more Dunn bashing...

MLB ERA

Prepare for more Dunn bashing...

This is from Lance McAlister's blog but is originally from the DDN. I think I heard a caller mention it on Sports Talk with Furman on WLW earlier and Furman said "I'm done with Adam Dunn and hopefully the team is too" or something to that effect. He then went on about his RBI number compared to other players and his hitting with RISP. It's funny how many focus on Dunn when many on the team have hit poorly over the last month or two and we run out guys like Michalak and Kim in the fifth spot of our rotation:

"So much for game prep
    Dayton Daily News
    Dunn asked offhandedly before the game, "Who's pitching for them?" Told it was Peavy, Dunn said, "Oh, God.""
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sadly, all these comments will likely lead to Dunn getting traded. The team needs a scapegoat and god knows the writers can't point blame in the direction of Narron or Krivsky. Dunn has player poorly for awhile now, but you're talking about the whole offense essentially outside of Rich Aurilia.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh and I am sure if we study Peavy from sun-up to sun-down, we'd figure him out.

And likely the confusion over that was due to the fact that Peavy was scheduled to start (I belive anyway), to pitch against Harang and not Lohse. I could be wrong about that. I am just saddened by the fact that the media pressure will likely see Dunn getting traded this offseason for something we really don't need or at a much lower price than deserved while our offense falls to the pits of among the NL worst (three ancient players of Griffey, Hatteberg, Aurilia.... potential flukes like Phillips, Ross.... with the only true brightspot being Ed E. Bruce and Votto won't be ready THAT fast.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Sadly, all these comments will likely lead to Dunn getting traded. The team needs a scapegoat and god knows the writers can't point blame in the direction of Narron or Krivsky. Dunn has player poorly for awhile now, but you're talking about the whole offense essentially outside of Rich Aurilia.
    Yeah, it's pretty funny how everyone tries to make excuses for Narron despite his continued lunacy but find fault with Dunn, who despite his very poor play recently has still been one of our better offensive players this year and the best over the last few years as a whole. It's just ridiculous.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Oh and I am sure if we study Peavy from sun-up to sun-down, we'd figure him out.

And likely the confusion over that was due to the fact that Peavy was scheduled to start (I belive anyway), to pitch against Harang and not Lohse. I could be wrong about that. I am just saddened by the fact that the media pressure will likely see Dunn getting traded this offseason for something we really don't need or at a much lower price than deserved while our offense falls to the pits of among the NL worst (three ancient players of Griffey, Hatteberg, Aurilia.... potential flukes like Phillips, Ross.... with the only true brightspot being Ed E. Bruce and Votto won't be ready THAT fast.)
    I guess all of the other Reds hitters who have consistently failed against Peavy are off the hook because they "studied" him more. Maybe he is just a great pitcher with a deceivingly bad record who happens to have the team's number.

Narron probably will convince Krivsky to trade Dunn though. I'm sure he has been whispering lately "He doesn't play the game the right way, Wayne. We need to add a quality veteran in the offseason to take his place, while ignoring my poor management, our couple bullpen and starting pitching holes and our issues at SS. Oh wait, we don't have issues at SS, because our two-hitter Royce Clayton can be kept around to illustrate that veteran presence I just mentioned we need in LF."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, who would want a player who's on pace for his third straight 40+HR, 100+RBI, 100+BB season? It's obvious we have talent on the bench and in the system who can surpass those numbers with ease. Burning Dunn at the stake will not solve any one's problems, nor take the blame as why we have fallen. Poor lineup construction, injuries, lack of a competent 5th starter (who even had a remote chance to win) and just general poor decisions on all levels of management can take more blame than Dunn can.

I really don't get the Dunn hate, but when I listen to Cincy sports talk radio, I am left clueless by many opinions.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I guess all of the other Reds hitters who have consistently failed against Peavy are off the hook because they "studied" him more. Maybe he is just a great pitcher with a deceivingly bad record who happens to have the team's number.

Narron probably will convince Krivsky to trade Dunn though. I'm sure he has been whispering lately "He doesn't play the game the right way, Wayne. We need to add a quality veteran in the offseason to take his place, while ignoring my poor management, our couple bullpen and starting pitching holes and our issues at SS. Oh wait, we don't have issues at SS, because our two-hitter Royce Clayton can be kept around to illustrate that veteran presence I just mentioned we need in LF."
    Prepare for being upset this offseason, that's all I can say. Even if RCast wanted to sign a big pitcher or two, why would they want to do so in our park unless their G/F was of superhero like status (like a Brandon Webb)?

MLB ERA
    Some issues way bigger than Dunn:

*Lineup construction
    *Lineup quality(need to add a couple of quality players in a couple positions)
    *Need one great starter and another good one
    *Need a couple of strikeout guys in the bullpen
    *Need a much better manager in general who manages the players well, makes good lineups, manages the bullpen and starters well and just seems to understand the game

MLB ERA
    Prepare for being upset this offseason, that's all I can say. Even if RCast wanted to sign a big pitcher or two, why would they want to do so in our park unless their G/F was of superhero like status (like a Brandon Webb)?
    I know.

What's funny is in today's game in the 9th, Chambliss is the one who argued with the homeplate ump about his apparently(those who had a TV version of the game have said) ridiculous strikezone all game long. It seems Chambliss knew how big the game was in the 9th and actually understood the do or die matter of the situation. Narron sat on the bench, which is especially interesting considering I saw he said during pre-game that the game was a "must win" but then acted as though there was certainly still a chance to get in the playoffs even if they didn't win. Sure they do technically, but his attitude seems to be so lax and if ANYTHING that attitude seems to rub off on the players. Maybe if everyone wants to complain about Dunn having a lax attitude they should direct questions to Mr. Play the Game the Right Way?

MLB ERA
    In terms of talk radio, I certainly agree overall, but one who does seem to understand and like Dunn is Tracy Jones. He has said to a lot of callers over the last several weeks how productive he thinks he is and he doesn't get the Dunn-hate. He has been sticking up for him and telling the callers they need to get a clue in essence, so a thumbs up to him on that one.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    CategoryGABRH2B3BHRRBIBBSOSBCSOBPSLGAVGTBSFSHHBPIBBGDP
    LINEUP SLOT 231123203970923164220.417.593.3177300511
    LINEUP SLOT 31971121410816112600.305.549.1973900001
    LINEUP SLOT 4391382629701024304610.353.478.2106610154
    LINEUP SLOT 5491643137601024405530.374.445.2267320061

Dunn has batted 2nd five times since August 15th. I could post a sarcastic comment, but I think that speaks for itself. (And note, I am not saying Dunn would of hit like his two spot numbers of this season, it's a commentary on Narron more than anyone.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    In terms of talk radio, I certainly agree overall, but one who does seem to understand and like Dunn is Tracy Jones. He has said to a lot of callers over the last several weeks how productive he thinks he is and he doesn't get the Dunn-hate. He has been sticking up for him and telling the callers they need to get a clue in essence, so a thumbs up to him on that one.
    I haven't had the chance to hear Tracy much this season, but I am glad to hear that though.

MLB ERA
    Nice chart. It's pretty clear where he's at his best. But look at his Walk totals. Very interesting. They are down in the two spot but his production is up. Does anyone think that might have to do with getting more good pitches to see in that spot? Look at the BA difference in that spot though. Everyone wants his BA up, well there you go. And the RBI/AB is clearly best in either the two or three slot.

MLB ERA
    I haven't had the chance to hear Tracy much this season, but I am glad to hear that though.
    Yup.

Now he has said a few other things this year that have been a bit off in terms of logic, but he certainly seems to be in the Dunn camp these days.

Of course even when he is clearly wrong, he played the game so he says he can't be wrong. I bet Narron would agree with him though. I'm sure he would say Tracy played the game the right way too.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Nice chart. It's pretty clear where he's at his best. But look at his Walk totals. Very interesting. They are down in the two spot but his production is up. Does anyone think that might have to do with getting more good pitches to see in that spot? Look at the BA difference in that spot though. Everyone wants his BA up, well there you go. And the RBI/AB is clearly best in either the two or three slot.
    I was actually just going to make that point from further investigation of it. The K/BB is obviously rocking towards the bottom, but it's wasted there as we have very little (as of late) behind the 5th hitter to actually drive runners on base in. He's actually the hitter that the common fan wants, not to mention what I think Narron would prefer. But the main reason I support is because I think that is where Dunn feels comfortable at, where he gets the most opportunities and the stats seem to agree with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast