Thread: A glimpse of the meetings (Lopez a perminant 2B?)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

A glimpse of the meetings (Lopez a perminant 2B?)

Reds might see new faces
    Sweep by Cards is discouraging

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

The Reds' brain-trust was careful, as it always is, not to make any pointed pronouncements, which it rarely does.

As everyone involved was quick to emphasize, it was just a quirk of the calendar that the entire coaching staff and all of the key front-office personnel gathered for a 2 ½ hour meeting before Wednesday's game. The fact that the meeting came with the team in the midst of its worst slump since the dog days of last season was merely happenstance.

From the vague statements made by the principals afterward, though, it sounded as if the gathering came at exactly the right time.

Manager Dave Miley characterized it as "very, very productive," and general manager Dan O'Brien concurred.

"It was," he nodded when told of Miley's assessment. "A lot of honest exchange of thoughts and ideas, and sort of put in place a plan going forward."

No details were spilled, but it didn't take much reading between the lines to guess that the Reds' roster could look a bit different when the team takes the field Friday against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Wednesday's night's 7-3 loss to the Cardinals, the Reds' seventh consecutive defeat, did nothing to discourage any adjustments that may have been decided upon in the meeting. In fact, the first alteration put into effect worked out nicely despite the loss.

For the first time this season, Felipe Lopez was in the starting lineup at second base. With Ryan Freel leading off in center field as Ken Griffey Jr. got a day off, the Reds had their two fastest players atop the batting order.

"We're just changing the composition of the lineup, trying to generate some more consistent (offense)," said Miley. "If we can create a little bit more speed at the top, maybe we can generate some stuff."

Freel and Lopez produced two of the three hits the Reds managed off Cardinals starter Mark Mulder, both infield singles, but no runs were in the offing as the left-hander breezed through his seven innings. Later, though, with the game all but over, the duo produced the Reds' first two runs of the game. Freel led off the ninth with a walk and Lopez sliced a two-run homer off reliever Carmen Cali into the Cardinals' bullpen down the right-field line.

It was Lopez's third home run in his last three starts, a number that could serve to reinforce the Reds' decision to keep D'Angelo Jimenez on the bench for a while.

The regular second baseman, signed to a one-year, $2.87 million contract in the offseason, has been slumping almost since day one. After grounding out in a pinch-hitting appearance Wednesday, he's hitting .195 (15-for-77) with a .287 on-base percentage.

Lopez has had only 34 at-bats, but is hitting .294 with a .351 on-base percentage, and his nine RBIs are three times Jimenez's total. There's also the speed factor. Lopez doesn't have a stolen base this season, but he is a threat, and his range in the middle of the diamond is demonstrably better than either Jimenez's or shortstop Rich Aurilia's.

Having adapted dutifully to a backup role so far this season, Lopez isn't about to lobby for a regular job, but he said he feels good about the contributions he has made.

"I'm over that stage of trying to show them what I can do, because I'm sure they know by now," said Lopez. "Every time they give me the opportunity, I just try to do something to win."

Without committing to playing Lopez regularly, Miley praised the player's showing Wednesday night.

"We've got to find a way to be more consistent scoring runs. If we have to go that route - we didn't do a bad job tonight," said Miley. "He made a couple nice plays at second, too."

When the Reds reconvene Friday, there may be some more tweaking in store with the lineup. O'Brien said the batting order would continue to "evolve" over time.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....505050318/1027

AAA ERA
    Lopez at 2B or SS, that is what i want to know, I would like to see those two in the lineup everyday at those two positions seperately, get DJ and Rich out of there, but i am not saying anything new

why in the world would they play lopez at 2b!? This FO is insane, absolutely crazy. We are going to take our shorstop of the futureand move him to second while we have ryan freel to play second and a really crappy shortstop. So we'll block freel and leave aurilia in, brilliant.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I will be upset if this is their only move. But at the same time I have to say, finally. I cannot believe it took all the powers that be to convince Miley that DJ sucks. It looks like Lopez may start at 2B for a while and Freel will remain the utility man. If this is the case, something has really got to be going on with Aurilia behind closed doors. If he still starts and they want Lopez in there, things have to be crooked. I just would not understand.

AA ERA
    I think this whole scenario begs the question: What is wrong with Freel? Miley said all spring that he was going to find Freel ABs. But now that the 2B is struggling they arent looking to put in Freel. That is very interesting. Something is very fishy.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep you are right. The first step is done though. Ditch DJ. I hope they go through with that. But to keep Aurilia in there over Lopez or Freel is ridiculous. I have no clue guys.

MLB ERA
    Put Lopez at SS and Freel at 2B. Every SINGLE DAY.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Put Lopez at SS and Freel at 2B. Every SINGLE DAY.
    you see the problem with that is... IT makes TOO much sense

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    NFLman covered it, if it's logical, it's not in the Reds plans.

Really, what's so hard about FeLo at SS and Freel at 2B? I could see keeping DJ in the lineup over Aurilia (note, I am not saying I want that.... I DO NOT) at least he has his youth and upside. But really, what is the freaking obsession with Aurilia? Does Miley log onto ESPN.com and salivate over his stats with San Fran?

MLB ERA
    The team really must think Aurilia can still hit 37 HR.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's all I can guess. Well that and boy can he throw to 1B (when the ball isn't out of his range.... like it often is.) Ugh.