Thread: With such little time remaining, does Wayne K have a chance to pick up another arm?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

With such little time remaining, does Wayne K have a chance to pick up another arm?

The rumor mill is drying up after the Wells trade (who I didn't expect we would get anyway), but does Wayne K sacrifice another piece of the future for at present a .500 team or do we stay silent tonight?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think it will stay silent for the Reds. I would rather it be that way too since there is nobody available that would push us over the edge. I wouldn't want to lose good young talent for a possibility at this point.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Kriv will probably add an arm, but it's probably going to be Bailey (which I don't agree with!).
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    All kinds of stuff has been happening with the Reds FO today I guess:

per Marc's Blog:

LOS ANGELES -- The Reds have signed right-hander Jason Johnson, a colossal bust for two teams already this season, to a minor-league contract. He'll report to Louisville.

Johnson, you may recall, was fairly well sought-after in the free-agent market last offseason, eventually signing with Cleveland for $3.5 million. He went 3-8 with a 5.96 ERA for the Indians before they gave up on him. The Red Sox then took a spin and he went 0-4 with a 7.36 ERA in six starts for them.

Just adding some organizational depth here, I suppose. Perhaps the switching-leagues magic might apply to this guy as it initially did to Arroyo and Lohse.
    Another Lohse or Arroyo would be amazing right about now. I have to say that I trust Krivsky's thoughts on these matters big time.

LOS ANGELES -- A familiar face is back in the clubhouse this afternoon. Chris Denorfia flew cross-country last night and joined the team today, making him eligible for the postseason.

He takes the roster spot of Chris Michalak, who was optioned to Sarasota. That nifty procedural move would allow the Reds to bring Michalak back the next time they need a fifth starter -- next Tuesday against the Giants. The usual 10-day rule won't apply because Sarasota's season will be over by then.

I'm not convinced Michalak will make that start, but the option is there for the Reds.
    I never caught this as I have been away for a few days. Great to see Michalak gone and Deno getting another shot.

LOS ANGELES -- Well, there's at least one transaction today before I hit the road for San Diego.

The Reds have optioned Matt Belisle to Sarasota and recalled utilityman Brendan Harris from Louisville. Harris, you may recall, was part of the big deal with the Nationals. He hit .324 with five homers in 43 games for the Bats.
    So now it is time to see what Harris can do.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    And here is the most suspensful one:

SAN DIEGO -- Just had a very brief conversation with Wayne Krivsky. He and his staff remain in their offices at GABP.

"We're still working," he said.

God only knows what they might come up with in the final two hours, 15 minutes before the deadline, but they'll probably push it right to the end.

As for what we do know -- though Krivsky wouldn't even confirm this insignificant and unsurprising set of moves -- the Reds will activate Gary Majewski and Jason Standridge from the DL tomorrow and recall Brian Shackelford for his fifth stint with the big club this year. The three are en route to San Diego.

That's all I've got for now. But it ain't over 'til it's over.

If Jason Johnson turns out like Arroyo...well, he won't
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL, I don't expect that whatsoever, but a Lohse would be real nice. Arroyo was and always had been more talented than Johnson no doubt.

Would be nice though if Krivsky worked some more magic somehow.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Mark Redman!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.