Thread: Daugherty: Nice-guy Stewart didn't fit

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Daugherty: Nice-guy Stewart didn't fit

You can tell him and Paul must of been friends. I personally don't understand why the Reds decided to let him go. Obviously I am not his biggest fan, but he did his job and like the article points out, no large group of Reds fans were calling for his release (nobody for that matter that I knew.) Anyway, it's a pretty good read.

Nice-guy Stewart didn't fit

Steve Stewart didn't have the dynamic personality he needed for the nearly impossible situation he found himself in. It's never good to be the man after The Man, whether you're Ray Perkins following Bear Bryant or Steve Stewart replacing Joe Nuxhall. Stewart was gentlemanly, self-deprecating and well-prepared. He never had a chance.

He's done at the end of this year. Apparently, team brass is looking for an "analyst." Translation: A former player. Baseball is brain surgery: Who knew?

The bosses feel you need less play-by-play on the radio and more "backdoor sliders" and "cut fastballs" and "inside-out" swings. What? Me, I just like someone who calls a good game. That's so 1950.

Unless you are among a handful of long-running, truly outstanding broadcasters - Vin Scully, Marty Brennaman, John Rooney in St. Louis - you had better have some tap-dancing in you. Because, just as the game isn't enough to hold our short attention spans anymore, neither is simply calling the game. If it were, Steve Stewart wouldn't be on the bricks in October.

Stewart didn't have a shtick. He didn't rant, he wasn't a wiseguy. He just came prepared to do his job. He spent four hours a day during homestands, three hours on the road, reading local newspapers and surfing the Net. He talked to people: Players, coaches, managers, people connected to the game. He did his homework, in other words. Stewart didn't just show up and talk smack.

If only he had worked on his persona. If only he had talked smack.
    Click here for the rest of the article

MLB ERA
    Maybe they want to try and get Barry Larkin in the booth or Mic up Adam Dunn as he's playing ?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The reason why Stewart didn't fit is because he was following Joe Nuxall. Anyone who follows a "legend" is doomed from the beginning. The next guy they get in there should have a easier time than Stewart did.
    rf28

AAA ERA
    i can't speak for anyone but myself, but I honestly didn't think he was a good fit, I mean he didn't compliment Marty well.. it wasn't anything like Marty and Joe, it was more like Marty and Marty, only with less flair than Marty.. i want Marty to be in the booth with someone who actually played the game, Steve can come back and try and replace Marty(hopefully a long time from now) I mean Larkin would be ok, i would rather him be on TV, since i think anyone is an improvement over the TV guys(Grande and Welsh) but Tracy Jones has been on the radio for a long while now and would be perfect fit in the booth with Marty

MLB ERA
    He seems like a really nice guy, but i simply don't care for the way he calls games. He does seem fairly prepared, but I don't like the way he announces the game in terms of his intonation, etc.

I do wish him luck though!
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Tracy Jones is too arrogant for Reds fans.
    rf28

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Tracy Jones is too arrogant for some Reds fans.
    there i fixed it for you