0 0%
  • B. Nelson (AA), R. Stone (AAA)

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who should close?

who should close?

Someone's gotta do it

AA ERA
    I voted for Wagner just because he is the best pitcher on the staff right now.

Claussen might give him a run, but you're probably right. I think more starts will help Claussen's control and he could really do damage then. Claussen is another one of the reds management blunders. Several analysts that i read over the winter said he was going to break out in his first healthy year, and what do the reds do, shelve him for the first half of april for no reason.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AAA ERA
    who voted for nelson or stone????

MLB ERA
    i said Ryan Wagner

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wags without a doubt.

Graves meets nothing of the criteria for the typical closer. Batters hit for a high average, SLG%, extremely high WHIP, and low amount of K's. At least Wagner has a respectable BAA, low walk total, and a good K/9. Plus he relies on his stuff. Graves needs them to hit his stuff on the ground. I have never been comfortable with Graves, a groundball pitcher, as our closer. Espicially a Graves who's velocity is way down in comparison to a few years ago and leaves his breaking pitches hanging over the plate.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Wags got my vote. He has sliiped a little in his last few appearances. But by no means should he even be compared to Graves. Graves should not receive one vote.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033
    who voted for nelson or stone????
    I did. because i'm sick of this whole lot. So wagner extended his stretch of good outings a few innings this year. He was good at the start of last year too, and then it started pouring runs. Everytime he went out he got shelled. I'd like to have a closer who can hit 93 at least, and maybe have a third pitch. Wagner is the best in a large bunch of losers, which doesn't make him automatic in my opinion. Somehow clubs like the brewers and astros can just discover good closers in the minors, and i think the reds should give it a go to. Both Nelson and Stone are converting saves and keeping the ball in the park, and i'd give them a shot. I see wagner as a set up guy long term anyway.
    Reds MVP Race

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    I did. because i'm sick of this whole lot. So wagner extended his stretch of good outings a few innings this year. He was good at the start of last year too, and then it started pouring runs. Everytime he went out he got shelled. I'd like to have a closer who can hit 93 at least, and maybe have a third pitch. Wagner is the best in a large bunch of losers, which doesn't make him automatic in my opinion. Somehow clubs like the brewers and astros can just discover good closers in the minors, and i think the reds should give it a go to. Both Nelson and Stone are converting saves and keeping the ball in the park, and i'd give them a shot. I see wagner as a set up guy long term anyway.
    not knocking yoru opinion, just wanted to hear a reason for the pick

MLB ERA
    need i say more?
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

sure. and i think wagner is the obvious choice, and probably what will happen if they make a change. i actually don't know anything about nelson or stone's "stuff" and if they are soft-tossers i wouldn't use them. Just the thought of anyone currently involved in the reds bullpen debacle, even the best one, makes me a little queesy. I'll get over it.
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think Wagner is definitely stuff wise than Stone and Nelson. The only thing Stone may have is a little more experience on the big league level. That I am not too sure of either. But I also agree that Wagner would really be great as a long term set up man. I am wondering if Coffey can get it back together in Louisville and strive for our closer's role soon. In the mean time, I go Wagner all the way.

AAA ERA
    i vote for wags as well..but i would recommend bringing up stone and giving him a shot .

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wagner should be the closer period.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Wagner
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast